alanTDM
16-06-11, 05:08 PM
Compulsory dayglo clothing for riders is getting a lot of press lately
and rightly so.

Demonstrations in France this weekend are about that and the banning of
bikes older than 7 years from cities and a host of other anti-bike
legislation.

However Ireland, which at least feels closer to home than France, is
also pressing ahead with 'Full Sleeve' dayglo.

The Irish Government ".... proposes the introduction of
regulations for the mandatory wearing of high visibility upper body
clothing with full sleeves for rider and pillion passenger."
Qoute taken from Section 4.4.5 of the Irish Road Safety Authority's
NATIONAL MOTORCYCLE SAFETY ACTION PLAN 2010 – 2014

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Motorcycles/National_Motorcycle_Action_Plan.pdf

Please remember that there still is no research on which to base this
decision, but more importantly it is another case of putting the onus of
responsibility on the victim and undermining any element of freedom of
choice for the rider.

IF it was a justifiable safety issue, then surely the bikes most
frequently involved in accidents (under 125s in an urban environment)
would be the ones to concentrate on, but bizarrely the French plan is to
exempt these!

MAG has already had the Leeds Demo (in May) and the Brum demo is on July
2nd. We need to be vocal.
I feel this'll be a summer of MAG activity...

> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Say-No-to-Day-Glo/206289546073856

http://www.mag-uk.org/en/index/a6296

http://www.fema-online.eu/

Uber Dave
16-06-11, 05:55 PM
This is complete rubbish, I was in the car two days ago on the way home and there was a guy in road on foot in a hi-viz jacket in the middle of the day and I didnt see him till the last second, and it was not due to my lack of awareness either.

No idea about other countries (inc Ireland) but is it still not the case over here in the UK that the only peice of IPE required by law is a helmet. Legally, at least I could ride in my boxer shorts and helmet, so this would require a huge overhaul of the law.

Iceman
16-06-11, 08:36 PM
"Banning bikes over 7 years old from city centres?" Well that's me screwed! :(

470four
17-06-11, 10:58 AM

Most people I think!

I have a longsleeve hiviz overjacket I wear on top of my jacket so doesnt bother me as such - sometimes I dont bother tho, what does bother me is that there is no compulsary covering up of bare skin on bikes, never mind gloves, CE protection etc?? Beat me how they want us all to be dayglo but 90-year-old Bob will smack you off anyways & you will still hurt yourself! :-?

Jon_W
17-06-11, 12:48 PM

Ditto!! The GS won't be able to commute in a year.

jpssantos
17-06-11, 01:14 PM

Most people I think!

I have a longsleeve hiviz overjacket I wear on top of my jacket so doesnt bother me as such - sometimes I dont bother tho, what does bother me is that there is no compulsary covering up of bare skin on bikes, never mind gloves, CE protection etc?? Beat me how they want us all to be dayglo but 90-year-old Bob will smack you off anyways & you will still hurt yourself! :-?

You must be joking surely... compulsory use of leathers???
people do what they want with their skin.. if its their choice to ride with no leathers, let them be... freedom of choice..

or do you think this country should be more of a nanny state than what already is???

I rather not have hivis, as I ride assuming no one has seen me, and to be honest most of the time is better not to be seen...
if you start riding with all the gizmos you'll start to fall into a confort zone..which is not good

470four
17-06-11, 01:22 PM

Most people I think!

You must be joking surely... compulsory use of leathers???
people do what they want with their skin.. if its their choice to ride with no leathers, let them be... freedom of choice..

or do you think this country should be more of a nanny state than what already is???

I rather not have hivis, as I ride assuming no one has seen me, and to be honest most of the time is better not to be seen...
if you start riding with all the gizmos you'll start to fall into a confort zone..which is not good

Im thinking I dont want to have to sweat my ass off in leathers, neither do I want to be smashed off my bike or have an accident in general??

Needless to say I do not know when that day will happen.

Law of averages dicatates the more miles I ride, the better chance I have of meeting Doris out doing her weekly shop in her Micra who can barely see though the windscreen...

If you want to ride round in an openface wearing a mankini then hell fella - get it on!

But God help you if you get hit off. ;)

Col
17-06-11, 03:28 PM
Bollocks to 'em all -wtf hiviz !! twats don't see ya anyway and I won't be putting on some foocking navvie jacket. Ban a fookin bike from some ****e city ffs!!!! someone open the asylum door and let the loons out ffs!!!!

is the pub open :)

Jon_W
17-06-11, 09:13 PM
Bollocks to 'em all -wtf hiviz !! twats don't see ya anyway and I won't be putting on some foocking navvie jacket. Ban a fookin bike from some ****e city ffs!!!! someone open the asylum door and let the loons out ffs!!!!

is the pub open :)

+1.

Could not have put it better myself!!!

alanTDM
17-06-11, 10:18 PM
I can guess what the HA & OL will say to that lol

Strange though over the last two months iv been riding with my dark visor down on my Calberg and have noticed that car drivers seem to have more or less stopped pulling out of side roads etc in front of me.its as if cause they cant see my face they think i cant see them and think "If i pull out in front of the bike he is going to hit me" but i always think they will do though.

redken1
18-06-11, 09:37 AM
If the majority of the political establishment had their way all bikes would be banned from the roads. Unfortunately, in electoral terms the biking community carries little clout. I am not prepared to do nothing while my way of life is under attack. If these propsals are under review here we need to act. I feel another demo coming on. Thanks for the info Alan, I shall make contact with MAG.

YMFB
19-06-11, 11:46 AM
whilst i personally always wear leathers or motorcycle safety clothing I don't always wear hi viz although I find it keeps the dead flies off the more expensive jacket. I do like to think we can wear what we want. Having said that I wouldn't take a pillion who wasn't wearing suitable gear.

If you choose to ride in shorts and a vest with no gloves then thats your choice but years ago i saw some young lads who had an off when riding scoots in Ibiza, that reinforced to me the importance of wearing good gear. Not pretty and those scars will be theirs for ever. You don't look so tough when your screaming like a girl in A & E (sorry girls its a figure of speech).

Restricting the use of bikes older than seven years sounds like one of those things that have been plucked out of the sky by a eurocrat. Riding with Hi-Viz wont make you more likely to have an accident so who gives a toss. TBF most of us arent style icons, well im not as my kids keep telling me.

If I have to wear frilly knickers on the outside of my leathers I will as long as I can ride a bike when and where I like.

All of that means we should all be in MAG and support the cause to prevent the erosion of our rights.

Jon_W
19-06-11, 07:42 PM
Personally I thik the whole Hi-viz debate is a destracion for the serious sh1t the Uk as a whole is in.

The goverment should concentrate on getting the country moving again and leave expensive ad frankly ineffictive legisation such a this for a time when we have the time, jobs and money to debate it properly.