PDA

View Full Version : Non Track Tracks?

Squashed_Fly
20-06-11, 12:15 PM
Are there any tracks that aren't tracks, that you can just pay to use? I mean like old airfields etc? I've seen that abingdon sometimes has trackdays, and I know that odiham do as well.

I've seen the MCN vids among others, and they all seem to use places that are set up to ride on without being 'proper tracks'

Looking for a cheaper alternative to organised events to build up some skills...

It might be that they cost just as much, but if you don't ask etc.....

Scotty
20-06-11, 01:25 PM
Not really - there are all sorts of insurance and liability issues involved in just letting people show up and ride. OMCC's ARDs are cheap, but well-attended and they have become popular as word has spread and they sell out in a matter of days this year, far more quickly than last year. Similar days are run at RAF Benson (between Oxford and Reading) but they have a reputation as crash-fests, not as well-controlled nor as well-behaved as OMCC days. It's normally a case of getting what you pay for - the circuits with the best facilities in the country cost the most (Brands, Silverstone, Oulton) whilst those with more rudimentary facilities (eg. Llandow) cost less.

If you want good value for money, do the OMCC double-header at Snetterton - two days on a proper circuit (rather than a bumpy airfield perimeter road) for £140 is as good as you'll get anywhere in the UK - check the regular TDOs for the cost of a normal day at Snett. The facilities are reasonable (may have been upgraded since I last went there three years ago) and the newly-extended track is said to be very good fun to ride. Tuition is available FOC from the instructors - ask Star if you want to gauge the value of that. If you wish to learn on a budget, you you won't get better value really. If £140 sounds a bit steep, you can do just one of the days for less (and if it sounds steep, look at the cost of a single day at Brands GP!) You're a member of OMCC, make use of it...

Squashed_Fly
20-06-11, 01:39 PM
True. I've jined their forum, but am not a paid up member yet. Def sounds like it's worth the £20 though.

Trouble is, I'm kind of time limited. Funds are very tight at the moment, and it's unlikely I'll be able to afford much this side of August/September as have so much else on already that's been booked up for ages. Then we're getting out of Summer...

I'll be a married man this time next year, so then there'll be no more arguments about wasting money on track days when we could be saving it for the honeymoon! ;)

However, then I'm sure 'honeymoon' will become 'house deposit', followed by 'kids clothes' and then whatever else seems to follow suit! I'm destined to never have any spare money!

Anyone up for robbing a bank? I'll tell you where one is, if you rob it, then we'll split the cash! ;D

jpssantos
20-06-11, 06:47 PM
yeh.. would be good to have something like the Nurburring over here...

keep your eyes on hottrax and focused events..

Me and 4 mates did Mallory on the 3rd of June for £52! ;D :D