PDA

View Full Version : New Bike today :-)

Gerry
15-06-11, 10:54 PM
Not really keen on "look at me" type of posts, but I know you lovely lot are interested...

As some of you know, I’ve been tentatively looking for a new bike over the last couple of months.

Spent the first few weeks looking at the few V Twins out there as I love the sound and rawness of them, toyed with VTR’s, SV1000 and Ducati 900’s but realised that I was ignoring by far the most popular set up, Inline 4s.

The Ron Haslam day changed my mind big time as the CBR600RR was just brilliant.

Following that I tried one out on the road, but just didn’t get on with the heavy wrist and pain that caused after half an hour. Tried an R6 which was great and contemplated the Daytona 675 until I pearched on top of Dabs and realised that it was more wristy than the CBR. Looked at a Daytona 650 last week but finally found my new bike at the weekend and bought it today.

No, it’s not yellow, after seeing Basils black ZX6R I’ve only been looking for black !

2005 Yamaha R6, black. Standard apart from a 3cm lowered seat, which I may keep as I’m a short-arse.
Plan is new Fuel slip-on can (with removable baffle ;)) seat cowl, tail tidy, and if I can’t get some gold wheels for it (fancy a swap Uber) possibly “blacking it out” (removing all decals and powder coating the silver bits). Seen some pics like that and they look awesome.

Second part of my plan is to sell the SV to fund an older R6 track bike. Seems sense to keep to the same make / model for road & track and there seems to be quite a few about within my modest budget (depending what I can sell the SV for).

Really looking forward to my first long blat on it :)

Gerry

PS: Yellow leathers anybody ???? :-/

Dabz
15-06-11, 10:59 PM
Sounds great Gerry, looking forward to seeing it!

Gerry
15-06-11, 11:04 PM
Sounds great Gerry, looking forward to seeing it!

Really pleased (almost excited, which is unusual for me) 8-)

Came to a toss up between the R6 and the ZX6R and this one came up first.
I'll ride it for the summer and rethink in the autumn if I'm not getting on with it.

Will I ever get used to lop sided lights ??? ;D

Nico_babe
15-06-11, 11:25 PM
Sounds fabulous!

HensonA
16-06-11, 12:33 AM
Sounds a great buy Gerry. You and Roxy will be R6 ..ing it down to Aberystwyth in 10 days !!!!! ;D

Looking forward to seeing the bike !! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

NoYou
16-06-11, 07:26 AM
Sounds lurvly, I do love r6`

BB
16-06-11, 07:39 AM
Sounds good, especialy the all black idea 8-)

BB

Nelly
16-06-11, 07:41 AM
Nice one Gerry :)

Jon_W
16-06-11, 08:03 AM
Great News Gerry!!

Keep the Sv and convert that to a track bike.....

Squashed_Fly
16-06-11, 08:44 AM
Keep the yeallow leathers, swapt the engine and exhaust in from a 'souped up' moped, and you'll be rocking the bumblebee look!

Fit some yellow stripes too, and you'll look and sound awesome!

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/drone1-01.jpg

Seriously though, new bike does sound rather nice - looking forward to seeing it out soon

Geordie Stu
16-06-11, 02:49 PM
Great news well done Gerry [smiley=thumbup.gif].

Uber Dave
16-06-11, 02:54 PM
Gerry you have chosen well, keep the revs up above 9k and you will have a blast!

Also Black R6's are the best ;-)

Gerry
16-06-11, 03:49 PM
Gerry you have chosen well, keep the revs up above 9k and you will have a blast!

But black & gold are the bestest ;D

Although the more I think about it the more I like the idea of black, black & black ;)

G

big_bird
16-06-11, 05:27 PM
Nice one Gerry.

Welcome to the dark side ;)

See you on the road soon.

flick
16-06-11, 06:03 PM
Nice bike Gerry 8-)

be good to see you out and about on it soon :)

smellygerm
16-06-11, 06:09 PM
Nice one Gerry

Sean.C
16-06-11, 06:15 PM
Enjoy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Caz
17-06-11, 12:04 PM
Great Gerry can't wait to see it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scaredy_Cat
17-06-11, 12:38 PM
Sounds great Gerry [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Si
17-06-11, 03:45 PM
Nice one Gerry! Cant sell the V though!! ;)

jaagsxr
17-06-11, 04:42 PM
Hi gerry sounds like you have an ace bike there:-)
And if you are after different coloured wheels then a trip to the powder coaters could be in order ? :)

Gerry
18-06-11, 09:41 AM
Hi gerry sounds like you have an ace bike there:-)
And if you are after different coloured wheels then a trip to the powder coaters could be in order ? :)

Did think about that, but I'm not sure how much crap / hassle / expense it is to strip all the internals out before painting.

New can ordered & black can hanger so I can get rid of the rear footpegs. Looking at tail tidy & micro indicators next :)
-----

Got up at 6.30 today to find it was sunny !
Had my first proper go on it - Ooh er Missus, it's a bit more responsive than the SV in every way - I love it ;D

When I remember Uber's advice to keep it over 9K revs (which is a little hard to do at first coming from a V Twin) it's just brilliant.
Handling is brill, position is brill, gearbox is brill, power is (very) brill :D
Even quite like the high pitch exhaust note.
Nothing like at wrist aching as the 600RR I tried and coming from the SV, changing down is just so smooth.

I'm a bit more aware that I'm on a dark coloured (not high viz yellow) bike, but first impressions are spot on [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Roll on Welsh Wales [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

G

silly_simon
18-06-11, 03:46 PM
Nice Gerry be good to actually see it :P Even in a picture :o :o

Maybe dayglo rim tapes then as they are a lot cheaper and less hassle :D :D

Roxy
19-06-11, 12:02 PM

Whoo hooo ;D ;D Knew you would turn to my dark side sooner or later!!!

Now you have to bike...DUMP those bloody leathers ;)

Welcome to the Ars6 club G!!!!!

If it's the same colour as mine..it's raven not black! ;)

Looking forward to seeing you out soon.

Roxy xxx

Dave_R1
19-06-11, 03:53 PM
Congratulations on the new bike :) I'll look out for you around Warminster :)

Dabz
19-06-11, 05:57 PM
It's so similar to kirsty's that I had to double take the number plate..ku07 t..something isn't is? Lovely looking bike tho Gerry and was fun chasing you along the wingfield straight this morning :D

BB
19-06-11, 07:11 PM
It's so similar to kirsty's that I had to double take the number plate..ku07 t..something isn't is? Lovely looking bike tho Gerry and was fun chasing you along the wingfield straight this morning :D

Careful Dabz, people will talk!

Jon_W
19-06-11, 07:12 PM
Left to me to keep the Sv end up now.... traitor!!!! ;D

Glad you lik your new bik though!!!!

Scotty
19-06-11, 07:43 PM

So, your bikes are crow-coloured are they? :-?

Come on then Gerry, when are you taking to its natural habitat, the track? (Oh, Combe probably ::)) Join OMCC and sign up for the Snetterton double-header! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Chappers
19-06-11, 07:50 PM

So, your bikes are crow-coloured are they? :-?

Nope, she said raven ::)

Looking forward to seeing the bike soon G! You sound thrilled - really pleased for you! :D

470four
19-06-11, 08:04 PM
Im just a bit confused you had to get a cool bike then ruin it by strapping your oxygen tank to the side??

:D

Gerry
19-06-11, 09:20 PM
Like (love) it even more after today :)

It's great to have that little bit more power (OK, lots more) to overtake when you come across a few of cars in a row.

Still keep having to fight the urge to change up at 8K revs but I'm sure I'll soon get used to that (Wales & Cornwall) [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Really comfy too, no aches anywhere this evening.

Hope when it grows up it turns into a black (raven / crow / jackdaw / rook and gold R1 :)

G

Gerry
19-06-11, 09:22 PM
Im just a bit confused you had to get a cool bike then ruin it by strapping your oxygen tank to the side??
:D

Next time you see it (hopefully for Wales) the bazooka will be tucked away in the garage to be replaced with a nice mini carbon Fuel (baffle free) ;)

G
Still won't sound as nice as yours though !

Vee4 Gaz
19-06-11, 09:34 PM
Nice bike Gerry, go with the gold rims though...Black and Gold look awesome together.

You looked like you been riding a R6 for ages, I had fun following you today (I'm not a stalker honest... ;D ;D)

Nothing wrong with Yellow leathers.... Roxy :) :) :) All the best riders wear yellow.

flick
19-06-11, 09:43 PM
That new bike does look nice Gerry,you must be well pleased 8-)

CharleyX
19-06-11, 10:18 PM
Well Gerry what can I say .... your like a new man ! :o
Fab looking bike and the extra power must be great, just don't forget where you came from to get there!!! :D
Enjoy ;)

Gerry
19-06-11, 11:19 PM
Fab looking bike and the extra power must be great, just don't forget where you came from to get there!!! :D
Enjoy ;)

A very polite and controlled reply Irene, after the gentle ribbing I gave you today ;) I was expecting much worse :-)

The extra power is brill, although I will have to be a little more controlled if I'm to keep my licence (and stay out of jail) !

Still love your nice pair of cans though (has that come out right) :o and following you and the two Ducati's all together on the way back was great.

Lovely to see you today.
Gerry x

Gerry
19-06-11, 11:22 PM
Nothing wrong with Yellow leathers.... Roxy :) :) :) All the best riders wear yellow.

Want some more :-)
I fancy a change from being "High Viz Simpson" ;D

Was a nice little blat we had there [smiley=thumbup.gif]

G

Honda_Star
20-06-11, 10:04 PM
Not really keen on "look at me" type of posts, but I know you lovely lot are interested...

Gerry - those sorts of posts are how I have managed nearly 900 posts lol ;D ;D ;D Although I'm quite a way off having had 900 bikes (not that far off though!)

Great news Gerry! looks like a few of us have joined the 'R6' fold in one way or another this month. Looking forward to seeing it on the way to Wales this weekend! :)

NoYou
20-06-11, 10:34 PM
:[ Jealous as hell! An r6 is the bike I'm pining after, have been ever since i sat on one at GW! :p shame the insurance company prices me out of being able to get one -.- 3.5k to insure a restricted one for a year... when the bike was worth 2k... but tbh i wouldn't want to ride a restricted 600 anyways seems like a bit of an anticlimax if you get me, 600cc of pure joy... but not really...! Anyways congrats on the new bike, enjoy it for both of us! ^^ I'm sure i'll be joining you with one in .... a few years... or a massive pay rise! xD
Geo

470four
21-06-11, 09:22 AM
Enjoy ;)

A very polite and controlled reply Irene, after the gentle ribbing I gave you today ;) I was expecting much worse :-)

The extra power is brill, although I will have to be a little more controlled if I'm to keep my licence (and stay out of jail) !

Still love your nice pair of cans though (has that come out right) :o and following you and the two Ducati's all together on the way back was great.

Lovely to see you today.
Gerry x

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Noise-Maker-Bicycle-Horn/dp/B000PAJM0O

Here you go, Gerry! Carrying the Tank Of Eternal Silence does not mean you cant sound like a real bike anymore? :D

Loving the Twins section on the way home... music to my ears 8-)