PDA

View Full Version : Hi-vis jackets

FJ_Biker
13-06-11, 09:55 PM
What do people think about France trying to bring a law in about the compulsory wearing of high vis jackets?

This has been law in southern Ireland for a year now but they have not been enforcing it, they are hoping people will just start wearing them if not they plan to start enforcing the law in two years time.

I know the French motorcycle lobby have started protesting about this.

My view on this as a rider who these days commutes with high vis gear is it has not made any difference at all to my safety, I sill come across the same amount of driver apathy. I only wear a Hi-vis in case I have an accident so it goes in my favour in case of an insurance claim.

Another thing that concerns me if everyone starts wearing Hi-vis people will switch off to them and people who are genuinely doing dangerous tasks will be ignored.

Also the other thing to think about is if it becomes law in a few countries how long before it becomes a Europe wide as a law?

Nelly
13-06-11, 10:12 PM
Tend to agree about people switching off the Viz warning. The amount of people now wearing hi-viz is increasing on what seems like a daily basis. Traffic wardens, lorry drivers, milk men, and the list goes on. Ive often thought that if it carries on increasing at the rate it is, we will start switching off and not noticing the difference. Glad i'm not alone.
On a side note, have you noticed the amount of cars that are now installing running lights? The same can happen there. At present a single headlight on a bike coming down the road is obvious. If all cars started running in daylight hours with lights on....would people stop noticing us? :o

bobf279
13-06-11, 10:22 PM
I sometimes commute on my bike and normally wear a hi vis jacket. The other week it began to ming a bit and needed cleaning so I wore a plain blue jacket for a couple of days. What I found was in my hi vis most drivers tended to see me and move over to let me pass. In my blue jacket I suddenly became invisible even on a big red bike with headlight on. Go figure

470four
13-06-11, 10:32 PM
I tend to find I get seen better in hi-viz (orange long-sleeve slip-on jacket) mainly because peoples subconscious tells them if they DID smack someone off their bright red bike with headlight & sidelights on, & the rider was also dayglo orange - the "I didnt see you" excuse would make them look Rather Stupid... ;)

Wet weather, bad visibility, town & city riding & even out on my own regardless - the overjacket goes on.

Hi viz does and always will - get noticed, hence the name... :D

What more could we do to make ourselves noticed???

Nooj
13-06-11, 10:36 PM
If I was regularly riding in traffic in poor visibility I'd want one, I've seen how the Missus vanishes into the background in her black kit on a black bike. I don't want yet another bit of kit to cram myself into, but I have no objections to wearing leathers with Hi-Vis and reflective strips on. I'd actually prefer that to plain black.

Snowy
13-06-11, 11:00 PM
I have a HiViz cheapo thing for if the weather is really bad, but tend to switch the Aux Lights on the GS which are really effective being in a "triangle". Tends to get me noticed and then there's the 139 decibel horns if they don't see me with those on :)

Dabz
14-06-11, 08:37 AM
seems to be the same issue as daytime running lights on cars - it's removing the uniqueness from bikes - anything more commonplace will eventually become 'normal' for people's reactions and peripheral vision.

I'd totally agree about making it compulsory after dark mind you

470four
14-06-11, 08:50 AM
I had a short conversation with a bloke and his young son in Fowlers not so long ago:

The son was deeply reluctant to wear his hi-viz & kicking up a fuss - I approached them both and said "Sonny - may not be the coolest thing to wear but its a better look than being in a ditch!"

He hesitated, made the choice, half-smiled & put it on his back...

Black bike, black leathers - VERY hard to see, no matter how bright your headlight is! Hi-viz will pick you out from filtering cars (how many cars are hi-viz?? :D) and are in effect another pair of headlights! May not rock up like Marlon Brando but as long as it keeps me and my plastics off the floor then Not Bothered... Take it off the other end and stick it in your bumbag / under your seat!

470four
14-06-11, 08:51 AM
If I was regularly riding in traffic in poor visibility I'd want one, I've seen how the Missus vanishes into the background in her black kit on a black bike. I don't want yet another bit of kit to cram myself into, but I have no objections to wearing leathers with Hi-Vis and reflective strips on. I'd actually prefer that to plain black.

Does this mean Toph's new leathers will become the new black??
Now THAT offends me! :D ;D :D

Jon_W
14-06-11, 09:11 AM
Seems a pointless piece of legislation to me. Hi viz works some times, but not others. Headlight are more visible to me. As riders we need to be aware that we are difficult to see and other road users need to be more aware of motorcycles.

I personally don't always wear hi-viz. For commuting I have a hi-viz rucksack and the top box has reflective strips on it. I'f i'm using the cub for more that a short ride I'll use a sash, but aside from that I may or may not.

Numpty_Dumpty
14-06-11, 11:45 AM
Forgive me for saying this, but you are all thinking about this in comfort with as much time as you want to think about it. When people glance around at junctions this isn't always the case. They're on auto pilot, listening to the radio, telling the kids to shut up, making a phone call, etc etc. The whole idea of Hi-Viz is that you stand out and 'force' people who are driving along without a care in the world to see you and drag their concentration towards you.

At the end of last summer a photo was posted on Facebook of my Wife and I arriving at The Harp and Crown. I ride a black bike, with predominately black clothing (which bike gear tends to be) and it was a particularly grey day. If you glanced at the photo as if you would looking either way at a junction, we simply weren't there. And someone could possibly be forgiven for pulling out in front of us stating the immortal line "Sorry! I didn't see you!".

Another picture taken a few weeks later after investing in some Hi-Viz vests is very different. You can't fail to notice us even though it was taken from a distance and there is a massive amount of other stuff going on. To me Hi-Viz is a no brainer. I get the p*ss taken out of me because of it, particularly at work. But that is a secondary concern.

Iceman
14-06-11, 08:15 PM
I wear a high viz sometimes but in all honesty I don't think it makes much difference from personal experience. The law will do what it wants at the end of the day! :P

FJ_Biker
15-06-11, 12:09 PM
more info from FIMA plus a demo this Saturday (one demo is at Lille - France)

http://www.fema-online.eu/index.php?page=demonstrations-in-france

Looks like the tunnel is only 28 pounds return.

Vee4 Gaz
16-06-11, 05:11 PM
I think that the European parliament are try to implement a law that all cars should have "Running lights" fitted but the UK are against it. Which is good for us. As Nelly said our headlights make us stand out from the crowd but for how much longer??

Hi Viz probably helps but car driver still don't see us what ever. If you do crash at night and you get separated from your bike there is a better chance of being seen by following cars if your led in the road with Hi viz on.

redken1
16-06-11, 05:36 PM
I know that sometimes people find my views controversial, but personally speaking I am fed up with the “Nanny State” interfering in my daily life. I choose not to wear a hi-vis jacket and believe the choice should be left up to the individual biker to decide for him/herself.

Uber Dave
16-06-11, 05:58 PM
I know that sometimes people find my views controversial, but personally speaking I am fed up with the “Nanny State” interfering in my daily life. I choose not to wear a hi-vis jacket and believe the choice should be left up to the individual biker to decide for him/herself.

+1

Sean.C
16-06-11, 06:19 PM
[quote author=monday21 link=1307998534/14#14 date=1308242179]I know that sometimes people find my views controversial, but personally speaking I am fed up with the “Nanny State” interfering in my daily life. I choose not to wear a hi-vis jacket and believe the choice should be left up to the individual biker to decide for him/herself.

+2

NoYou
16-06-11, 07:41 PM
+3

Jon_W
17-06-11, 08:14 AM

Hear, hear!!

+4

470four
17-06-11, 08:46 AM

Hear, hear!!

+4

+5

If anybody wants to paint their ass green and ride around then that's entirely their choice, the only thing we have to wear by law is a helmet? :)

Biking is by definition a freedom thing, an expression of yourself - YOU choose your bike, gear & riding style. 8-)

Col
17-06-11, 05:54 PM
+6 my comment as in t'other thread :)

Never forget 'Law' is made/introduced by Members Of Parliament influenced by minority ,but somehow, influential focus groups with little regard to the 'overall picture and needs'

redken1
17-06-11, 07:58 PM

Never forget 'Law' is made/introduced by Members Of Parliament influenced by minority ,but somehow, influential focus groups with little regard to the 'overall picture and needs'

As already stated in an earlier post, biking is a freedom thing and an expression of our individuality. For me, a big part of biking is a symbol of my rebellious personality. If the out of touch politicians in their “Ivory Towers” had their way we would all be riding around looking like chocolate orange clones. >:(

Jon_W
19-06-11, 07:34 PM
Ken for PM!!!! :D

FJ_Biker
20-06-11, 05:31 PM
Thats a lot of bikes

http://ukfrancebikers.com/2011/06/18/france-completely-paralysed-by-almost-100000-bikers/

NoYou
20-06-11, 06:10 PM
Thats a lot of bikes

http://ukfrancebikers.com/2011/06/18/france-completely-paralysed-by-almost-100000-bikers/
EEP! ITS THE GRAMMAR NAZI!
"standed up against their government" /facepalm
But good on em I think its a ridiculous proposal, if i want to wear i hi-viz jacket i will do, personally i don't really notice the difference enough when i see other people wearing them to wear one myself but thats my personal opinion. I know a few people who do wear them that have taken it for granted that because they're wearing a hi-viz they WILL be seen, and been pulled out in front of because they were less careful. If you want to wear one and it makes you feel safer then great, so long as you keep your guard up, it probably does help in certain conditions.
If they try to bring a law like that over here i would hope for the same thing, maybe have a WB ridout to block off the M25/M602 junction?... maybe about... 7am-9am? :p might piss a few people off!
GEo

redken1
20-06-11, 07:05 PM
FJ that is a very impressive number of bikers. Sometimes I wish we could be more like the French when it comes to standing up against the Iron Fist of the Establishment. As I said earlier, politicians are only too well aware that the biking community in the UK is not big enough to make a significant impact at the ballot box. Of course, I would prefer to follow a democratic path to express my anger at any anti-biking legislation but, as a realist I know this is not an option. Unfortunately, direct action such as witnessed in the French protests appears to be the only way to force the government to listen to our views. If these proposals come to our shores they will be the thin end of a very big wedge. I believe that as bikers we must stand united and nip this in the bud. If that means bringing our road network to a standstill, then so be it. I know that some people may find such action a tad drastic but, the stakes are high. >:(

Are any WB members attending the Brum protest on 2nd July? I would really like to lend my support to the cause.

Kevinb
21-06-11, 08:54 AM

As already stated in an earlier post, biking is a freedom thing and an expression of our individuality. For me, a big part of biking is a symbol of my rebellious personality. If the out of touch politicians in their “Ivory Towers” had their way we would all be riding around looking like chocolate orange clones. >:(

Totally agree with you. I'm not going to be told how to dress. It is my decision. Most bike jackets have some sort of reflective material on them. I have a silver jacket, but prefer my traditional black one to match my black helmet, black boots & black gloves. I ride a 1700cc motorbike with the lights on and have the preofile of a barn door if you can't see me go to spec savers

FJ_Biker
21-06-11, 12:29 PM
Ken wrote

Are any WB members attending the Brum protest on 2nd July? I would really like to lend my support to the cause.

Ken I will organise a ride-out to the Brum demo. I will post in meets and read-outs later today

Taff