PDA

View Full Version : tyre fitting back up plan

simongpz
19-06-11, 10:30 PM
hello all ive just bought a replacement rear tyre for the gpz off ebay as the one on the bike has less rubber than a raceing slick a mate of mine has said he can fit on the wheel for me as he has all the eqiupment to fit it but he is as reliable as the bristol bus time table
so if he lets me down is anyone on here able to fit the tyre if i bring the bike and tyre to them i need to get it done by july the 8th as thats mot time i would be happy to pay for your time or by you a pint or two thanks in advance
Simon 8-)

Jon_W
20-06-11, 08:10 AM
Try Bike Aid in Trowbridge.

470four
20-06-11, 08:43 AM
Protyre over Westbury (along by the railway station) will fit & balance it for you? I havnt fitted a tyre for years, not worth the sweat when they can spin it on in a matter of minutes... 8-)

t1pper
20-06-11, 01:31 PM
Probably best to get some one with a tyre changer I have used levers before but it can mark the rim edges. :(

Also it would be better to get it balanced while the wheel is off, alot less hasstle than removing it for a second time if you find it needs balancing

simongpz
21-06-11, 04:20 PM
ive got a friend who works in a garage i might ask him if he can do it i take it its a car tyre fitting machine can do bike tyres aswell

Ducatista
21-06-11, 04:33 PM
ive got a friend who works in a garage i might ask him if he can do it i take it its a car tyre fitting machine can do bike tyres aswell

Most car places will fit tyres to loose wheels if you take the wheel in.
They won't take it off the bike and put it on the bike (unless they spceifically offer that service).

They don't have the skills/equipment required to do all the jobs required e.g. correctly tension the chain.

simongpz
21-06-11, 04:52 PM
thats what i was thinking im just going to take the wheel and tyre in i would not trust a tyre fitter to touch the rest of the bike

Ducatista
21-06-11, 05:16 PM
Well check before you travel, but if you're prepared to take the wheel loose then you'll have a much wider choice of places that will do it.