PDA

View Full Version : Covering the back brake

JayP
21-06-11, 12:58 PM
I'm a new rider and just bought a Transalp xl700. In order to keep my foot off the back brake I have to keep it at quite an uncomfortable angle. I can't adjust the pedal any more or the brake will be on permanently. Is it ok to ride with the ball of my foot on the peg? This would make back braking less immediate but would be a bloody sight more comfortable! Opinions?

470four
21-06-11, 01:09 PM
Pic please? Trying to work out wheres where??

b_m1957
21-06-11, 01:16 PM
Ball of your foot on the peg unless you need to use the brake!

Obviously if your slow-speed maneuvring (filtering etc.) you might want to cover the brake, but certainly not if your cruising or cornering (at least not yet anyway!)

Vee4 Gaz
21-06-11, 01:17 PM
I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and move my feet forward for braking/changing gear. You will have to see what suits you though, horses for courses.

BB
21-06-11, 01:21 PM
Ball of foot on peg, no probs [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Jon_W
21-06-11, 01:35 PM
Ball of foot on peg is fine.

wiltshire builders
21-06-11, 01:46 PM
Most of your braking should be done via the front. Just relax in a comfortable position and forget the back brake. If you need it believe me you'll find it.

JayP
21-06-11, 01:53 PM
Pretty consistent responses then. Hope it wasn't too much of a silly question - but thanks for the answers. Very helpful.
Cheers

Nelly
21-06-11, 05:02 PM
Most of your braking should be done via the front. Just relax in a comfortable position and forget the back brake. If you need it believe me you'll find it.

Works for me ;)

NoYou
21-06-11, 05:12 PM
Its only a silly question if you already know the awnser! How else do you expect to find out!?
Anyway I always ride with balls of my feet on the pegs for a couple of reasons, main one being I'm a 6 ft 2 lanky bastard on a very cramped bike! If I ride for any lengh of time with my foot over the break/gear lever I get really bad leg cramp! But also because I find I use my feet quite a lot to keep the bike stable when I'm cornering if I were to do that with the arches of my feet on the pegs it would hurt... allot!
Geo

Nooj
21-06-11, 06:52 PM
Definitely balls of my feet on the pegs.

Although IIRC RoSPA say to cover the rear brake and gear lever at all times in case you need them. Yet they also say don't cover the front brake and clutch as your observations should give you plenty of time to reach them.

My advice, do what's comfortable. If you're not comfy, you can't concentrate or ride properly.

Mark_Able
21-06-11, 08:53 PM
Definitely balls of my feet on the pegs.

Although IIRC RoSPA say to cover the rear brake and gear lever at all times in case you need them. Yet they also say don't cover the front brake and clutch as your observations should give you plenty of time to reach them.

My advice, do what's comfortable. If you're not comfy, you can't concentrate or ride properly.

Again, I find the 'so-called' RoSPA experts contradict themselves. If you are in the habit of riding with your foot covering the rear brake, chances are you'll be standing on that way before you've got your fingers to the front brake. Personally, I think covering any brake is a bad habit. In a panic, you would naturally tense without a thought for control. Wheels lock, out of control, fall off bike, or hit the obstruction you were trying to avoid.

To answer the question:-

Around town I ride with my right foot sticking out slightly, ready to pivot onto the rear brake whenever it's necessary.

On the open road, my braking is more planned, and therefore ride with the ball of my foot on the peg.

Hope that helps... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dave_R1
23-06-11, 11:39 AM
I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs unless I need to change gear / brake. I find it aids in ground clearance, gives better 'feel' for what the bike's doing and also forces you to get your braking and gearing out of the way prior to the corner / roundabout etc, which is a good thing.

Not sure I fully agree with the notion of forgetting about the rear brake, I use it all the time as I find it helps keep the bike balanced during braking, but horses for courses I guess! :)

jonnydangerous
23-06-11, 11:45 AM
i cover the rear brake all the time........................when the front wheel is in the air... :-)