PDA

View Full Version : Loosing the urge to ride

silly_simon
19-06-11, 08:03 PM
Hiya Guys and Girls
I have slowly but surely been loosing the urge to ride the bike of late :( I am unsure as to why though, and would appreciate your thoughts on what may be the underlying cause :o

Don't get me wrong I love the fazer and as far as I know there isn't anything wrong with it But everytime I go out on it I just don't feel comfortable :-/ I do enjoy the meets and rideouts but if I am not enjoying riding then obviously I am not going todo that many. Its a shame because I had always wanted the Thousand but because of insurance costs could never afford one, now I can I dont feel like using it :( :(

If it continues then it may well be a case of hanging up the bike gear for good :( Which is something I don't want todo But will If needs must.

Thanks for reading
Simon

Hazel-nut
19-06-11, 08:05 PM
have you thought about test riding a few different bikes to see if it the bike or just you ? would be a shame to give it up

silly_simon
19-06-11, 08:07 PM
Nice thought Hazel but I am in no position financially to change bikes at the moment ::)

NoYou
19-06-11, 08:13 PM
Still doesn't hurt to take a few test rides at least then you know! If you quit riding all together and it is just the bike thats the problem and not you then would be really sucky! It could just be that since you got a thou because you can be more lazy with it your not enjoying riding it so much as you did a smaller bike!
Geo

470four
19-06-11, 08:23 PM
Nice thought Hazel but I am in no position financially to change bikes at the moment ::)

Swap it for something you will be less bored of... ;)

I feel you are just not suited to each other and she does not inspire you in that way anymore? Get yourself somebody else and your libedo will return, Simon-san. 8-) Find yourself another who will make you smile when you open the door and see her there all lubed up and ready to ride for an hour or two. Its all about the Toys...

Life is too short not to have the things you want. :)

silly_simon
19-06-11, 08:36 PM
Darren,
I don't think its a case of being bored with it ;)

It's just at this present time I would rather < dare I say It > give the car a good thrashing instead of the bike :o

I'm thinking it could possibly be a confidence issue but there isn't one particular thing to put it down too [smiley=embarassed.gif]

silly_simon
19-06-11, 08:38 PM
Still doesn't hurt to take a few test rides at least then you know! If you quit riding all together and it is just the bike thats the problem and not you then would be really sucky! It could just be that since you got a thou because you can be more lazy with it your not enjoying riding it so much as you did a smaller bike!
Geo

The trouble with trying other bikes mate is that with a back problem there isn't that much choice to be honest :D And I don't think I am quite ready for a cruiser yet ;D ;D

mick_benson
19-06-11, 08:58 PM
hi ya bud, maybe going on some relaxed ride's to build confidence in the 1000 my help.
there are still lots of other bikes to try before you get to a cruiser tho bud
after getting this one ive got its been like lerning again and its not been easy i just wont quit
i'm sure i'm not the only one that would help if i can

wiltshire builders
19-06-11, 09:03 PM
Geo

The trouble with trying other bikes mate is that with a back problem there isn't that much choice to be honest :D And I don't think I am quite ready for a cruiser yet ;D ;D
Have you actually tried a sports bike? They are much easier on the back than an upright bike as your weight isn't being transfered down through your spine. I have terrible back problems but never suffer from riding.
An added bonus of riding a sports bike is that you will look awesome........just like me [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ryan
19-06-11, 09:28 PM
Is is just biking you feel like that about, or anything else your used to enjoy doing that you dont anymore?

simongpz
19-06-11, 09:39 PM
dont give up on bikeing i thought i would never ride again or injoy it when i damaged my knee i was in a full leg brace for weeks and thought i would never be able to hold the weight of the bike up but ive found was of rideing differently that have made it possible i find it painfull alot of the time but i enjoy the rideing so much i try to block it out and just have a good time

Loops
19-06-11, 09:42 PM
I know how you feel - but in the other direction. I lost the urge to drive my car when I started biking, then I swang back to wishing I was driving it again (too much riding to work in the winter...) and while I still love biking I think I need a new bike to keep it interesting 8-)

I think Hazel has a good plan - just try a few other bikes to see if it is just the current bike or whether its the whole thing you're bored of.

SueZX4
20-06-11, 12:04 AM
Please don't give up! It's people like you and the gang on here that have given me the inspiration and encouragement to keep going when mostly failing my test - both modules! Thanks to the very kind people on here, I got there in the end, when at times i felt that it was beyond my reach. Keep the determination to carry on, there are alot of people out there who wish they could ride but never get the chance, or who rode years ago, gave up for whatever reason and regretted it ever since, don't be one of them! keep it going while you can and don't give in to find you regret it later on... :)

Nooj
20-06-11, 12:10 AM
Simon, you've done this with every bike since I've known you ;D

I'd recommend getting some further training, you'll get a whole lot more out of your riding from it, especially if you're suffering a crisis of confidence. It'll also be a lot cheaper than changing bikes again.

Nelly
20-06-11, 07:47 AM
Si. I think we all get the "ups and downs" occasionally. I know a few people that didnt touch the bike for weeks, because they didnt have the motivation. Dont give it up though mate. You've passed your test. Biking is now in your blood. Take a couple of weeks or however long you need and leave the bike alone. It wont be long before the urge comes back ;)

Jon_W
20-06-11, 07:50 AM
Have a chat to Able and get some advanced tuition. While your there they can look at your posture, riding position and style.

Sounds like you need to adjust some of the settings on the bike and prehaps your riding style to suit.

Stick it. :)

BB
20-06-11, 07:51 AM
I can go for weeks without wanting/needing to ride the bike. Then I get the need again and if I'm not able to ride for whatever reason I then start getting ratty! (ask Ghost) ::)

Don't fret about it, just park it up and keep it for when you need to get out on it. Just remember when you do get back out there you will be a little rusty so take it easy. 8-)

BB

Morticia
20-06-11, 03:47 PM
I get that a lot, Simon, sometimes I just don't feel it, you know? As I don't drive, I carry on riding to work only, and it all, eventually comes back.

silly_simon
20-06-11, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys and Girls :)

I think I am suffering a bit of depression as Its not just the biking that is being affected, I am finding myself getting ratty both at home and at work :o

But I tend to say things as they are and I used to get into alot of bother for it :-?

Any further training/advanced riding etc is not an option due to finance's But I have thought about having a look at the suspension settings and perhaps do the fork oil but have never done this before so will have to see :-[

Nooj, yes I have done it before but usually the bike has gone within a few days BUT this one is staying put for now as Its the only bike the Mr's has felt comfy on as a pillion :P

redken1
20-06-11, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear you are a bit down Simon. I would urge you not to give up the bike but, suggest you just don't ride it for a while until you feel in the mood again. As has been said it's in your blood. I get a really sore back on a long ride but, try to ignore the pain cos I love being on two wheels so much. I always enjoy our smoke and chat at the pub and look forward to catching up with you again soon. Try and keep your chin up and if you ever fancy a ride just give me a shout mate. :)

Toph
20-06-11, 08:18 PM
+1 Ken, I'll join you on that ride, don't give up on the bike Si, look forward to seeing you soon buddy, :) come along to the Polebarn on Friday mate, we'll sink a few beers and put the world to rights!! ;) :)

Caz
20-06-11, 08:27 PM
Come out on another ride with the group, preferrably on a nice day and then see how you feel. I'm sure you will feel much better when you have a good day out with your friends :)

redken1
20-06-11, 08:35 PM
Come out on another ride with the group, preferrably on a nice day and then see how you feel. I'm sure you will feel much better when you have a good day out with your friends :)

A hug from Caz always does the trick for me [smiley=thumbsup.gif] :-*

Caz
20-06-11, 09:00 PM
Yes i can do that ;) ;D

BladeTriple
21-06-11, 09:59 AM
Simon,

I normally get this feeling during the winter when I don't ride much , I get to thinking about the money I'm paying out on tax, insurance and servicing the thing, how impracticle the bike is compared to the car, blah etc. I have a few naff cold wet winter rides and I get even more peeved, then come a few nice warm days, dry roads and I can open the bike up and I forget completely why I ever wanted to get rid of my bike....

Don't give up on it just yet.... take a little time out if you need but still get to the get-togethers and see the gang, I'm sure the drive and passion will come back and hopefully before the seasons over x

Geordie Stu
21-06-11, 10:13 AM
This weather doesn't help either. You'll be back or is that I'll be back :D

Blackandchrome
21-06-11, 12:27 PM
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/Blackandchrome/thrash2.jpg

I think giving the car a good thrashing can be extremely therapeutic. ;)

NoYou
21-06-11, 12:36 PM

Hahahha john cleese is a legend! Rememberf rolling about in hysterics when I saw that! XD

R1chie
22-06-11, 07:12 PM
I hear you Simon.

I've been through this in the past and it only needs a good ride out to forget about these concerns.

Ironically, I'm thinking about kicking biking into touch altogether. Maybe for different reasons to you though.

See how it goes. Maybe a change of bike or scenary is all you need

Jon_W
23-06-11, 09:57 AM

I used to get the urge to do that to my mini.... somthing to do with BL cars....

;D

jaagsxr
23-06-11, 08:00 PM
hava pillion ride ??? i will have you out ?? :D