PDA

View Full Version : Diesel :-(

Mark_Able
12-06-11, 10:51 AM
Well, the lovely weather didn't make a jot of difference to me, as I rode home from work yesterday. Pootling across the Virgin Mobile roundabout on the White Horse Business Park in Trowbridge, doing no more than 35mph, hit fresh diesel, and met the tarmac. It's so annoying. There was so much diesel down that it coated my gyres, actually flicking off and coating the inside of the mudguards, and soaking my jacket. Bizarrely, within seconds, Holly McLennan and Stuart Powell turned up independently. Phoenix recovered my bike, Stuart called Police, and Holly hung around to give me a lift home. The Police arrived promptly, and set about warning other bikers, and organising the Highways Agency to do a clean up. It was scary watching another lad ride his 125 crosser across the spill, wearing jeans and T-shirt.

I've got to thank everyone who came to my assistance. It's so annoying. If it was a spill because of the way I was riding, I'd put my hands up and admit it was my own fault. But when it turns out to be someone's lack of consideration, I find it infuriating. The bike has sustained superficial damage, the worst of which is a written off titanium Acropovic. I've got a very painful knee, along with a bruised shoulder. I'm glad I was wearing the right gear.

To anyone who thinks it's cool to ride wearing T-shirt and jeans, I hope you don't suffer the same misfortune, because it'll hurt a lot more than my spill... >:(

slowr1der
12-06-11, 10:55 AM
Sorry to hear that mate, just makes you wonder how long it had been on the road and whether anyone else had bothered to call the police/highways agency to clear it up

At least you are ok

Mark_Able
12-06-11, 11:17 AM
I reckon it was very fresh. Followed the trail all the way to West Wilts Trading Estate, but couldn't locate the exact culprit... :(

NoYou
12-06-11, 11:22 AM
Ahh that sucks m8, I don't think a lot of car drivers realise how slippery diesel is, almost came off in a petrol station a while ago because somebody had obv sprayed diesel all over the place and not bothered telling anyone :( when I told a mate of mine who only did his test recently he'd never been told about it... kinda weird tbh.
Hope you get yourself and the bike sorted soon.
Geo

Dabz
12-06-11, 11:50 AM
Good to hear that it's only superficial damage to you mate, tho a written off akropovic isn't good - makes you sick that whoever spilt it probably hasn't given it a second thought!

Nico_babe
12-06-11, 12:09 PM
Not good. Glad you are ok though. x

wi77y
12-06-11, 01:11 PM
That sucks mark. glad your ok - the knee hope you can fix your fazer otherwise you might HAVE TOO get new one ;) ;) lol.
My dad fell off due to disel on road lots years back, broke his leg off work for 6 months your lucky.

Nelly
12-06-11, 01:11 PM
Glad your ok fella. :(

470four
12-06-11, 01:16 PM
Kinda grates that people can still afford to fill up with MORE than enough diesel??

Must have been a truck or similar... sucks that we still have to gimp around corners & roundabouts in the middle of summer on dry roads for fear that somebody has splashed oil all over the road. >:( ::)

Geordie Stu
12-06-11, 03:15 PM
Not good news Mark. Least low speed & not too much damage apart from the Ak can :(
Glad your OK [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Toph
12-06-11, 04:20 PM
Get well soon mate! :)
Diesel spills are the pits. >:(

Jon_W
12-06-11, 04:45 PM
Glad your ok Mark! Sh*tter about the exhaust, but at least you and the rest of the bike are ok.

Deisel spills are the pits. A chronic waste of fuel at a time we are all being told that oil reserves are depleting fast and we should save fuel, and a effing menace to all other road users.

BB
12-06-11, 05:09 PM
Bad news, but good to hear you are ok & the bike survives.

BB

Ryan
12-06-11, 06:36 PM
sorry to hear that mate, main thing is your okay ey!

just on another note what exactly dose desil on the road look like never really seen loads of it on the road it gives a kind of rainbow effect dose it not?

Beamer
12-06-11, 06:58 PM
Glad to hear you're ok mark !!!

Nokesy
12-06-11, 07:04 PM
Really sorry mate :( I've been there too - it's really frustrating but glad nothing too serious :)

And yes Ryan, if you are lucky enough to see a rainbow effect, give it a wide berth! ;) That is if you have time at your speeds! ;D

redken1
12-06-11, 08:16 PM
That's a real s**t Mark, but I'm pleased you are ok.

Hazel-nut
12-06-11, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear you came off but glad you're not badly hurt and the bike is fixable! Good job you didn't have any leathers with you otherwise it could have been worse!

Bornagain
12-06-11, 11:32 PM
Not good! Major bummer Mark but glad you're ok ;)

SueZX4
12-06-11, 11:54 PM
Really sorry to hear about this, glad you are ok.

Squashed_Fly
13-06-11, 08:48 AM
Hope you're ok Mark.

Quick question (and this is probably just me being thick - it is early still), why does this typically happen at roundabouts? Is there something about them that attracts diesel spills? Or does it happen on straight roads too but we don't notice as we're not cornering?

Snowy
13-06-11, 09:08 AM
Usually due to overfilled fuel tanks and when the vehicle goes round a roundabout, the fuel gets forced out of breathers by the filler cap due to gravitational forces. If you see a petrol station sign near a roundabout always assume there will be a patch around, usually on the outside. I tend to stay on the inside if I can where there is less likely to be any.

Geordie Stu
13-06-11, 09:13 AM
Went into Bristol last night via the A46. All along that stretch in the middle of the carriageway up to Pennsylvania was a constant line of the tell tail signs of Diesel spillage. With the cost fuel being so high perhaps not filling the tank to the top then perhaps less would be spilt.

silly_simon
13-06-11, 09:14 AM
Sorry to hear this mate :(

In defence of Lorry and Bus drivers (Eh Kev) it is not always us types that pump it out all over the road :o

Sometimes it is those well dodgey Transit van drivers

Col
13-06-11, 02:17 PM
sorry to hear that mate, main thing is your okay ey!

just on another note what exactly dose desil on the road look like never really seen loads of it on the road it gives a kind of rainbow effect dose it not?

Yeah if it has been raining/wet otherwise it simply appears as a darker line on the tarmac [the line being from spilling out of vehicle]. The most likely areas to be aware of are roundabouts near to filling stations especially those used by hgvs as they may overfill their tanks so when they turn on the roudabout diesel is lost onto the road. With the price of fuel diesel spillage is now less common than before.

Dennis_Sinanan
13-06-11, 04:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your spill. Hopefully you will be back to 100% soon.

Geordie Stu
13-06-11, 06:45 PM
Sorry to hear this mate :(

In defence of Lorry and Bus drivers (Eh Kev) it is not always us types that pump it out all over the road :o

Sometimes it is those well dodgey Transit van drivers

No offence mean't Si. :-[

silly_simon
13-06-11, 06:55 PM
None taken mate, I know exactly what you are saying mate and as a biker I hate the overfillers as much as the next T*at >:(

I was just pointing out its not always the large vehicles that do it as I have seen cars overspill in the past :o :o

Geordie Stu
13-06-11, 07:00 PM
None taken mate, I know exactly what you are saying mate and as a biker I hate the overfillers as much as the next T*at >:(

I was just pointing out its not always the large vehicles that do it as I have seen cars overspill in the past :o :o

I agree with you. Cars, Vans...etc all guilty of over filling but in your case I guess your lorry is filled for you & buses :D

silly_simon
13-06-11, 07:08 PM

I agree with you. Cars, Vans...etc all guilty of over filling but in your case I guess your lorry is filled for you & buses :D

I wish :D We have todo it ourselves and for that reason we never overfill them :) besides we dont exactly go very far anyway :D :D

Mark_Able
13-06-11, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the kind words folks. Diesel can be so difficult to spot in the dry, easier in the wet. It was dry, but to be honest, I wasn't paying too much attention to the damp patch, because in my mind I was thinking it couldn't possibly be diesel as there was so much down. I'd sort of dismissed it as a wet patch, water or something. :(

Still, the bike's nearly fixed now (thanks to the boys at Phoenix), and at minimal cost. Having to fit the original pipe for now, until funds allow to get a fruity can again. To get myself back on the bike, I've had to get some kevlar jeans, because I can't get my swollen knee into leathers. Just hoping I haven't done any lasting damage to my knee (still bloody hurts)... >:(

redken1
13-06-11, 09:00 PM
Gutted for you Mark. I remember losing control of my car once as I approached a roundabout. It was a hot summer's day and it felt like driving on ice. Diesel on the road is lethal. Bag o cold peas on the knee Buddy - get well.

Nooj
14-06-11, 05:14 PM
The Missus and me spent five or six years marshaling for the KillSpills rallies. The haulage side of Asda were very proactive in preventing any spills from their trucks, as were a few other large companies.

A lot of the problem is that a lot of trucks have only recently started to be fitted with sealing filler caps, but mostly it's drivers still over filling the tanks, right to the top of the filler neck that causes the spills.

As has been said, not only is it very dangerous (and potentially fatal to bikers) to other road users, it's a complete waste of money. But some drivers are just plain stupid. I believe thanks to the campaigning from the KillSpills team it is actually now a criminal offence to soak the roads with diesel. If you see someone doing it... REPORT THEM!

simongpz
14-06-11, 05:31 PM
ive had it the past slipped on diesel in the wet hope you ok mark i know what its like once you hit that patch of diesel there is nothing you can do apart from brace for impact with the road hope you get better soon mark and get bike fixed without to much expence

jimmer
14-06-11, 09:01 PM
Got to disagree with you mark diesel is much harder to spot in the wet.

Mark_Able
14-06-11, 09:07 PM
Had to concede, and took a trip to RUH today. Looks like I've got some ligament and nerve damage to my knee. Could be worse. While I was there, I took a trip to see another examiner who'd been taken out by a car driver on sunday evening at Westwood crossroads. Dave Harle now has a punctured lung, suspected broken ankle, and shoulder. Car driver ditched his car in a barn and did a runner. Police caught him though. 20 year old kid, now looking at Dangerous Driving, and Leaving the Scene of an Accident. Twat. >:(

virginie_morisot
14-06-11, 09:19 PM
glad you're ok Mark, and bike will be fixed .. yes a good reminder for all..

Nooj
14-06-11, 09:26 PM
20 year old kid, now looking at Dangerous Driving, and Leaving the Scene of an Accident

He'll get a 6 month ban at most, or 9 points and a small fine probably >:(

Hazel-nut
15-06-11, 10:51 AM
Hope you and your friend both heel quickly

Mark_Able
15-06-11, 08:17 PM
Got to disagree with you mark diesel is much harder to spot in the wet.

The multi-coloured rainbow affect? In the dry it could be anything, when you see a damp patch. :-?

Squashed_Fly
15-06-11, 08:21 PM
Is it still slippery when it's dried then?

Caz
15-06-11, 09:22 PM
Sorry to hear of your accident Mark, the round about seemed fine today so they must have cleaned it up. Very dangerous combination diesel and roundabouts had a couple of friends have the same accident one at Frome A361 and one in Westbury on Station Road.

Glad it wasnt worse [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jimmer
16-06-11, 01:46 PM
But when you see a wet or deisel patch in the dry you can spot it from much futher back,normally trying to miss it.You are right about the rainbow colour in the wet,rode to work this morning and their were patchs everywere on the trading estate.In the MCN they are saying you can clain for accidents on deisel even if you cant find the car/lorry who spilt it

Mark_Able
16-06-11, 08:54 PM
But when you see a wet or deisel patch in the dry you can spot it from much futher back,normally trying to miss it.You are right about the rainbow colour in the wet,rode to work this morning and their were patchs everywere on the trading estate.In the MCN they are saying you can clain for accidents on deisel even if you cant find the car/lorry who spilt it

How do I do that mate? Still bloody killing me. I was back on the bike today, and did it f***ing hurt bending my leg into position. Does that mean MCN is useful for something other than wiping yer backside... ;D

Jon_W
17-06-11, 08:03 AM

MCN chat sh*t! Who are you ment to sue if you don't know who caused the spill???

The best thing to do whith the MCN in the case of an oil spill is to use the pages to mop up the oil!!!!! :D

Glad to hear your on a bike again Mark. Just go steady for god's sake. Give the Knee a chance. :)

Mark_Able
17-06-11, 08:57 PM
I did think that Jon... :-?

silly_simon
17-06-11, 09:17 PM
I think any potential claim is against the Highways agency :-/

I think its something todo with keeping roads in a fit state :o

Mark_Able
17-06-11, 09:21 PM
I'm guessing that the spill I encountered was very fresh and hadn't been reported, which probably negates any potential claim... :(
Fair play to the Highways Agency, they were on the scene very quickly, and did a good job of cleaning up the spill.

BB
19-06-11, 07:13 PM
Not Highways Agency - they look after trunk roads. Would have been Wiltshire Council

I know I know :D

BB

Jon_W
19-06-11, 07:50 PM
You would have to prove, on balance, that a; they knew about the spill and b; they did nothing about it.

Both I believe are difficult to prove, even on balance without evedence.

As I repeat, the best thing to do with the MCN in the case of an oil spill is to use it to mop the excess up. Good for the enviroment, good for bikers,

Mark_Able
23-06-11, 09:25 PM
Forgot to show the pictures...

Mark_Able
23-06-11, 09:26 PM
The back tyre... :(

Jon_W
24-06-11, 07:59 AM
Nasty!!!

Hope the knee is on the mend now Mark.

470four
24-06-11, 08:30 AM
Forgot to show the pictures...

:o :o :o

BB
24-06-11, 05:21 PM
It looks so innocuous, but by the time you realise... :o

Hope you are feeling better Mark

BB

Mark_Able
24-06-11, 06:31 PM
It looks so innocuous, but by the time you realise... :o

Hope you are feeling better Mark

BB

It actually looked more obvious in the picture. On the approach it was hardly noticeable. Hey ho... ::)