PDA

View Full Version : Are R1 Yams any good ??

t1pper
11-06-11, 06:40 PM
Hi, I have just sold my Gixer Thou and I am looking for a suitble replacement.

Ideally I was looking for another GSXR 1000 as I have always got on well with them and they seem to hold their value well, But I am finding it hard to get something suitable.

A friend of a friend has offered me an R1 on 2006 that looks like a good buy but I have never owned one or know much about them.
How do they rate? Is there anything I should be aware of?
I am confident about checking a bike over but do not want to end up buying a bike that later turns out to be the model that everyone avoids.

All help would be most welcome.

smellygerm
11-06-11, 06:44 PM
Friend of mine just bought a 06 r6 ,looks a bit small for him but no problembs so far not sure about the r1 ,heard it's a bit of an animal

Dex
11-06-11, 07:29 PM
Why did you sell the Gixxer thou? Which model was it?

t1pper
13-06-11, 10:17 PM
Hi Dex, I had a k7 on a 2007 I sold it as I had a really good offer on the bike, I actually got more than I gave for it! ;)
Also I wanted to try something different as my past sport bikes have always been gixers.
Thought a R1 sounded a good bet, also had a idea to look at the KTM RC8.

Dave_R1
14-06-11, 06:15 AM
I've had two and also had a k3 GSXR for 6 weeks; I preferred the R1s :)

BladeTriple
14-06-11, 01:52 PM
Never got on with my old K7 it was too painful for long legs and forced you into the tank , god only knows how tall blokes survive with their squishy bits being forced onto that tank :o

Aren't most sports 1000's pretty much the same give or take a different riding position unless you go for the 2010 R1 with the big bang engine in it ?

See if you can get a test ride on a newer model before you make your mind up Tipper, I never test rode my GSXR1000 after having a blade for years and wish I did, never made the same mistake twice when buying the SP3 . Its a lot of money to part with on something you might not get on with, see if you can borrow one for a good 2 or 3 hours for a proper run out get some 'ride out' style miles out of it .

Lis'

jimmer
14-06-11, 06:12 PM
Mines Mental a reet good hoot,last bike was a zx7r,no comparison i didnt test ride it ,cant stop smiling when im on it ;)

t1pper
14-06-11, 06:35 PM
Hi, I have tried the blade 1000 RR on a 2006. I found it no where near as brutal as the gixer, in fact it all seemed rather "modest" for a litre sports bike, the gixer runs away with you but the blade needs to be pushed.
However the blade was very confident and easier to judge in the bends.
I am tempted by the R1 but I probably need to fix up a test ride to check it suits I have been told they are suited to tall riders and I am only about 5 6".

I probably would like to go for the R1 just to experience something different.

R1chie
15-06-11, 05:26 AM
I'll be selling a 05 plate R1 soon if the deal with your mate falls through.

BladeTriple
15-06-11, 01:24 PM
Tipper,

at that height you should be suited to most sports bikes, they just don't suit us gangly sorts really, 5ft11 and I cannot get on with modern mini moto sized 1000cc sports bikes, they're shrinking I swear, and here's me thinking it was only sweets that did that since my childhood... how wrong I was !!!! ;D

Richzx10r
16-06-11, 08:54 PM
I have a 2010 R1.Bouhgt new in november.Rides like my old sp2 low down the revs and my previous bike(06zx10) as you progress through the rev range.I chose the R1 as its the only new thou that isnt shrinking.The new blade felt smaller than my first bike,a 636.The zx10 has shrunk also.Being 6"2 its a perfect match for me.I also looked at the rc8,very nice bike indeed.

t1pper
17-06-11, 10:50 PM
I'll be selling a 05 plate R1 soon if the deal with your mate falls through.
Hi, I was looking for something a little newer but let me know when you are ready to sell, if I do not get fixed up I could take a look.
Thanks

slowr1der
18-06-11, 09:37 AM
2007/08 R1 is a fantastic bike for the road or track and is probably still the best looking Jap sportsbike out there.

Guymx
21-06-11, 12:57 PM
I have a 2007 R1 (red/white) and love it! I am 6 ft 2 and have no problems with my legs, it can ache your wrists a bit but just need to grip more with your legs and relax when you can.
I have just gone down to a 16T front sprocket and put race baffles in the stock pipe and the thing is an animal now.
I live in Melksham as well so give me a shout if you decide to go down the right route and we'll go out for a blast!
;)

t1pper
01-07-11, 10:07 PM
Sorted, found a 2006 R1 with just 3k miles full Yamaha history and it is the colour I wanted Raven Black.
Will post some pics soon. 8-) :)

BB
01-07-11, 10:33 PM
Good to hear. Enjoy! 8-)

BB

Roxy
01-07-11, 11:05 PM
Sorted, found a 2006 R1 with just 3k miles full Yamaha history and it is the colour I wanted Raven Black.

[smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] Best colour!! well done, look forward to seeing it. Raven for the win!!! [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Roxy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
R6 owner (in Raven...or Crow as Scotty likes to call it ;D)

flick
02-07-11, 11:02 PM

[smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] Best colour!! well done, look forward to seeing it. Raven for the win!!! [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Roxy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
R6 owner (in Raven...or Crow as Scotty likes to call it ;D)

Nice bike tipper,
another Raven black ,
collective noun for Raven's is unkindness ;D
sorry about about that roxy ;D ;D ;D

NiteW4tcher
03-07-11, 09:09 AM
had u considered the zx10r?

t1pper
03-07-11, 09:49 AM
I sat on one at George Whites open day earlier this year, it felt very alien and the bars seemed to be to close to me.
I felt it was least suitable riding possition out of the bikes I sat on (R1, GSXR1000 and Blade)