PDA

View Full Version : Fly cleaning needed...

Roxy
28-06-11, 10:51 AM
After a very successful trip to Wales last weekend, I have a huge amount of dead flies on my leathers...can someone tell me the best way to clean them please :-/ ;D I hit something rather big on Sunday and it's left a lovely red blood splat all the way up my right arm. Leathers are black and white so is there anything available that is better for white leathers?? ::)

Roxy xx ;) ;D ;D

jaagsxr
28-06-11, 10:52 AM
black leathers and i will jet wash you to get the nasty squashed flies off you ;D ;D

Col
28-06-11, 11:25 AM
Aren't there some lizards and spiders that eat this sort of cuisine :D

jonnydangerous
28-06-11, 12:22 PM
if its fresh, baby wipes are pretty good, but a proper leather cleaner (i use NikWax) is dam good.....

470four
28-06-11, 12:25 PM
Damp teatowel left on for 20 minutes will soften them enough to be wiped off... particularly effective on helmets & fairing fronts! :)

Uber Dave
28-06-11, 12:37 PM
I used boiling water. Poor it onto a decent cloth, then wipe, takes them off in seconds. Use the same for the front of the bike too!

Chappers
28-06-11, 01:42 PM
I use a clean sponge + warm water. The work of mere moments [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Roxy
28-06-11, 01:45 PM
Yes but these are some real tough squirmy little buggers that really got into the nooks and corners...water is not going to be man enough for the job! ;D

I know, I will get my man servant to do it! ;D ;D

Roxy

Chappers
28-06-11, 01:46 PM
ah, you must have special leathers then ;D

ChrisJo
28-06-11, 01:49 PM
If you wear a hi-vis vest, you can take that off after a ride and put it through the wash. Sorted [smiley=bath.gif]

Roxy
28-06-11, 01:50 PM
ah, you must have special leathers then ;D

Of course they are! [smiley=engel017.gif]

jonnydangerous
28-06-11, 01:53 PM
are they new?..... ;-)

Roxy
28-06-11, 01:54 PM
If you wear a hi-vis vest, you can take that off after a ride and put it through the wash. Sorted [smiley=bath.gif]

Now you all know I don't do hi viz! http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt11/keenh/vomit-boy03-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-.gif

Roxy ;D

Roxy
28-06-11, 01:55 PM
are they new?..... ;-)

Not as new as yours darlin ::) ;D

Dabz
28-06-11, 02:13 PM
I'm taking the lazy option and sending mine off to scrubbers (as recommended by Star) at the end of the summer..that way I'll have a full summer of bug splats professionally cleaned off with zero effort :P

Gerry
28-06-11, 02:20 PM
After a very successful trip to Wales last weekend, I have a huge amount of dead flies on my leathers...can someone tell me the best way to clean them please :-/ ;D I hit something rather big on Sunday and it's left a lovely red blood splat all the way up my right arm. Leathers are black and white so is there anything available that is better for white leathers?? ::)

Roxy xx ;) ;D ;D

That was called - a sheep ;D

G x
;)

Roxy
28-06-11, 02:42 PM
;D ;D ;D **** was that what it was.....Justin hit it, Chappers deflected it and I got the full blood splat effect on my leathers!! ewwwwww ;D

Bloody stoopid sheep!!! ::) Get off the road!

Roxy x

Snowy
28-06-11, 04:32 PM
I wash them off by riding in the rain ;D

Geordie Stu
28-06-11, 04:56 PM
Wear a Hi-viz vest & carry some cleaning liquad in a top box.
;D ;D ;D

Roxy
28-06-11, 04:58 PM
Wear a Hi-viz vest & carry some cleaning liquad in a top box.
;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D nice one Monster Munch!! I'll nip out and purchase both later shall I? The Ars6 with a top box and me with hi viz....hmmmmm!! ;) NOT

Roxy x

Geordie Stu
28-06-11, 05:19 PM
;D ;D You'd look Splendid ;D ;D

Rossio
28-06-11, 06:07 PM
funniest thing iv read all day has dissapeared......... :-?

Squashed_Fly
28-06-11, 06:11 PM
Must have been wiped away with the jetwash & boiling water. Probably best, it can leave stains ;)

smellygerm
28-06-11, 06:16 PM
I just lick em off ,high in protein low in fats, takes me a good few hours though

Scotty
28-06-11, 07:19 PM
Ride to Aust Services on a wet morning - cleaned mine up a treat ;) Same can't be said of the bike though.... ::)

Roxy
28-06-11, 07:44 PM
LOL I don't even want to think about cleaning the bike, it was filthy when I got back, deep clean needed I think :( My leathers are covered though, I think the sun on Sunday made them all come out en mass!!! ;D

Scotty
28-06-11, 11:14 PM
Mine was minging, but it is now super clean and shiny, courtesy of Nooj and his magic - photos to follow... 8-)

StreetHippo
28-06-11, 11:40 PM
Kitchen towell soaked in hot water, put on stains, go for a brew, when brew is done simply wipe off - EPLS!! ;)

Stu

DaytonaDog
29-06-11, 12:33 PM
LOL I don't even want to think about cleaning the bike, it was filthy when I got back, deep clean needed I think :( My leathers are covered though, I think the sun on Sunday made them all come out en mass!!! ;D

Mobile pit crew/Man servant is available for hire!!!!!! LOL

Davina is also in need of another make-over.

Roxy
29-06-11, 12:38 PM

Just what I wanted to hear DD...when are you free?? ;) ;D ;D :-*

Roxy x

Nooj
29-06-11, 12:39 PM
Leave them on. Insect exoskeletons are made form chitin, and incredibly tough material, so it's only going to add to the protection already offered by your leathers. At least that's my theory :)

Roxy
29-06-11, 12:41 PM
Kitchen towell soaked in hot water, put on stains, go for a brew, when brew is done simply wipe off - EPLS!! ;)

Stu

I'm liking the go for a brew thing Stu...maybe I could do that while mobile pit crew/valet (DD) sorts it out! ::) ;D

Roxy x
The birthday GF cookies were yummy btw, thank Danny for me. x

Roxy
29-06-11, 12:42 PM
Leave them on. Insect exoskeletons are made form chitin, and incredibly tough material, so it's only going to add to the protection already offered by your leathers. At least that's my theory :)

so that means they can stay all dirrrty! awesome dude!!

Roxy x
Not the same for the Ars6 though :(

DaytonaDog
29-06-11, 12:58 PM

Just what I wanted to hear DD...when are you free?? ;) ;D ;D :-*

Roxy x
Actually all joking aside, I am off this friday, saturday, sunday and Monday and I need to come collect my tank bag pdq as I need to get road tax for Davina and my documents are with the tank bag ::) ::) ::). Tried doing it online but the insurance is not on the database for some reason. :-? :-? :-?

Jon_W
04-07-11, 07:59 AM
I thought this was more SF baiting..... ;D but no! A serious thread...

Soak them off with wet kitchen towel. Do Not Scrape or you'll scratch the paint, as someone has already said, the shells are very hard. Just keep soaking, till they are softened and can be wiped off in one go.