PDA

View Full Version : Stone Chip Removal

t1pper
01-07-11, 11:56 PM
I have a stone chip on my fuel tank it is about 3-4mm in diamiter. I have carefully put a very small amount of matching paint just in the centre of the chip, being carefulll not to spread it about and make it look any bigger.

It does not really notice but me being me a real fussy bu88er wondered if it could be repaired without painting the whole tank?

I see the chip repair companies advertising but have never used any of them, are they as successfull as the adverts make out.
Has anyone ever used or could recommend a professional who could help and any idea of costs?

Lastly I would rather leave it alone as it is not that bad, than let someone "have a go" and make a complete dogs dinner of it.

BTW it is a gloss black without any metalic.

simongpz
02-07-11, 12:12 AM
i use to work for honda as a vehicle inspector and had to do alot of stone chip repairs black is one of the hardest colours to repair so if it looks half decent its probably best to leave it as it is hope this helps im not that good at givin advice

R1chie
02-07-11, 03:20 AM
I've used a company called Chips Away a few times over the years and have always been happy with the results. The work has been on my car but looking on the website, they do work on bikes and also metallic paint (found in the FAQs)

http://www.chipsaway-sven.co.uk/

Give Sven a call and he'll come out and have a look to see what can be done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

crewy
02-07-11, 05:33 PM
My mate has a chips away business in the chippenham and yate area. But he told me stone chips can be re painted but, you will always be left with the shape of the stone chip because of the layers of paint it has taken off, so probs best to leave it if it looks good enough to you

Nooj
03-07-11, 11:58 PM
This is why you don't want to polish your bikes with silicon based furniture polish, it makes blending in the paint on small touch up jobs like this nigh on impossible as nothing sticks to the surrounding area.

Nail varnish is quite good at building up the lacquer to the required depth once the colour has been laid down in a stone chip dent, then flat it back, spray-lacquer/polish/wax as need be.

jonnydangerous
05-07-11, 07:38 AM
youll need the layer of laquer over the base colour to make it the same shade as the paint already there, you need to find someone good with an airbrush to lay a layer of laquer over the top...

give spudgun a pm....

Jacde
05-07-11, 07:49 AM
I used Sven from Chips away a few years ago to do some work on my golf too, he did a good job but it was noticeable where the paint was slightly duller than the original, possibly due to it being metallic black.