PDA

View Full Version : Zebedee does it again... :@(

SueZX4
27-06-11, 12:04 PM
A not so good start to the week - go to start the bike up, turns over, fires up but sounds very rattly, engine then cuts out as tickover very low even with choke on. Refuses to start back up again, and a very strong smell of petrol. Leave it for abit thinking I may've flooded it. Go to start again, no play, more smell of petrol. Start checking things, fuel pump ok, so off comes the cover, air filter, damp inside carburettor no 2. Go to check spark plugs, no 2 is wet. take it out, turn engine over and there is almost a fountain of fuel coming out of the spark plug hole. Now looking like either the float is stuck in the carburettor or one of the jets has moved so it's pumping fuel straight through... anyone any thoughts or ideas??

Jon_W
27-06-11, 12:11 PM
The float is stuck.... or a bit of crap in the float valve.

SueZX4
28-06-11, 12:52 PM
Jon, you were right! bits of the old fuel still sitting in the system, had got the float valve stuck. The guy who MOT'd him said that we will get teething problems with it mostly because of the time it was out of action, but keep going as eventually it will sort itself out and settle down. I have to smile though as next to this laptop on the kitchen worksurface are.. the carburettors!! 3rd time lucky hopefully!! ;)

simongpz
28-06-11, 03:11 PM
its fixed zebedee lives again spent most of the day on it getting to know his internal parts quite well now
one sticking flout ment the bike had to be striped and put back together again
anyway its the turn of the gpz to brakedown next i wonder whats going to fall off this time :)

470four
29-06-11, 11:22 AM
Is there a fuel filter from the tank to the carbs?

BB
29-06-11, 12:51 PM
Good to hear you are sorting it! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

SueZX4
29-06-11, 02:58 PM
Is there a fuel filter from the tank to the carbs?
yes, but the semi-liquid type stuff that used to be fuel had been festering inside all parts of the fuel system for 4 years+ !! We put a new filter on and it's doing a pretty good job, just still some bits getting through as think there was (and probably still is) some final remnants sticking to the bottom of the fuel tank itself.

Jon_W
05-07-11, 08:22 AM
The GS does this intermittantly. Nowt to do with fuel, just cheap shi*e carbs!!!!

I'd put a paper filter in if you can. Iliminates the problem then.

simongpz
05-07-11, 07:37 PM
The GS does this intermittantly. Nowt to do with fuel, just cheap shi*e carbs!!!!

I'd put a paper filter in if you can. Iliminates the problem then.
the carbs on sues bike have caused me hair loss due to pulling out ive had them off 3 times now the rest of the bike is good the carbs are a pain in the arse :)

Jon_W
06-07-11, 07:49 AM
Might be worth getting the ultra-sonically cleaned. Will remove the last vestages of dirt off of them.