PDA

View Full Version : The future of bike testing.

Mark_Able
06-07-11, 08:40 PM
It was quite a long old day, and quite a lot to take in at the seminar today. Lee and I (and about another 150 delegates) attended the seminar in the hope of better understanding what is going to happen to the bike test over the coming months/years. Mike Penning MP gave us his reassurance that he is working on our behalf to try a sort out the shambles that is the Module 1&2 tests at the moment. The general feeling is that it will eventually become a single element test again, with the manoeuvres all being carried out on the road. However, the DSA is fully aware that this is a difficult task, being as one of the manoeuvres is the 'evasion test'. Part of the consultation will be about how best (safest) these manoeuvres can be carried out. From our point of view, going back to a single test can only be a good thing. It means a return to local testing (potentially Trowbridge), and courses culminating in one test instead of two split up tests.

One thing that is of concern is the EU 3rd Directive. This is where access to an unrestricted licence will become far more complicated and costly if you're under the age of 24. The minimum age for Direct Access will rise to 24, with the minimum bike size rising to 600cc. 'Progressive Access' is unlikely to be catered for by many Approved Training Bodies (ATB's). It would mean buying 400cc bikes purely to cater for an age group between 21 and 24. If you want to understand more, you need to Google 'EU 3rd Directive Motorcycles'. It is long winded, and involves quite a few changes.

We're not opposed to change, but it has to be for the right reasons, and I don't believe this is.

As regards the single element test, don't expect anything to happen anytime soon. The timescale we've been given is a gradual fazing in around 2013-2015.

The DSA couldn't find their arse with both hands... >:(

Beamer
06-07-11, 08:59 PM
I guess no matter what guise the bike test comes in people are going to take it and keep on taking it because there will always be people who want to ride.

Its a pain in the bum for you as instructors and examiners too i guess....but hopefully whatever is decided the test should bring through safer riders (with any luck)

Cheers for the update Mark :) :)

Ryan
06-07-11, 09:07 PM
They are just trying to put people off doing bike test to try and reduce the amount of deaths on the road on motorcycles, all about bloody statistics, this is my opinion anyway

Glad my DAS is all done and i have my full licence at the tender age of 23 :\

Squashed_Fly
06-07-11, 09:09 PM
I don't disagree with having an older limit for DAS with a 600 minimum bike, but a 'middle range' test seems excessive, and if they are going to, then they should have restrictions on car licenses also. Minimum of 1ltr engine until 24, or a direct access to a bigger engine car after 24.

That's the real travesty - that we get treated so differently to car drivers. I think the bike test is set out right, but the car one needs changing to match. Any idiot, who can afford the insurance, can drive a skyline/impreza at 17. There will always be someone out there that would insure them if money no object.

Jon_W
07-07-11, 08:18 AM
Reading the BMF artical , this sounds like a lot of work for you guy's Mark.

http://www.bmf.co.uk/upload/documents/1196679553_3rd_european_directive.pdf

As they state it:

17 years old - Pass CBT, Theory, Hazard Perception and A1 Practical test

Ride a 125 for two years...

19 years old - Complete Cat A2 training

Ride a restricted machine (46.6hp) for two years...

21 Years old - Complete Cat A training

Ride all bikes....

>24 years old - Pass CBT, Theory, Hazard Preception, and Cat A Test (on a 600cc machine)

Sorry for speculating further than the direct evedence points, but this would indicate that you will need four different category machines in any training school, and instructiors able to instruct and asses up to three different levels. That seems one hell of an investment.

From the riders point of view, this dosen't seem too bad as long as you are prepared for four years of hoop jumping....

Jon_W
07-07-11, 08:27 AM
Here are a couple very interesting articals:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmtran/442/44204.htm#note12

Number 12 as indexed in the above. 141 pages, but worth reading in full;

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmtran/442/442.pdf

Mark_Able
07-07-11, 08:03 PM
Well Jon, I can't see many ATB's buying four categories of bikes. We'll have to restrict ourselves to dealing with 125's and 600's. We have been struggling to make the business work for the last two years, and don't have the funds to invest. It's going to be the same for the majority of ATB's. The large ones will struggle to invest in a fleet of 600's, let alone any other size of bike. The big question is, how many ATB's will still be here in the months/years to come? :(

redken1
07-07-11, 08:31 PM
Well Jon, I can't see many ATB's buying four categories of bikes. We'll have to restrict ourselves to dealing with 125's and 600's. We have been struggling to make the business work for the last two years, and don't have the funds to invest. It's going to be the same for the majority of ATB's. The large ones will struggle to invest in a fleet of 600's, let alone any other size of bike. The big question is, how many ATB's will still be here in the months/years to come? :(

I know I may sound like a broken record but, yet again we see the hidden agenda of the anti-biking political elite. >:( >:( >:(

Mark_Able
07-07-11, 08:48 PM

I know I may sound like a broken record but, yet again we see the hidden agenda of the anti-biking political elite. >:( >:( >:(

Yep, except this time it's the EU calling the shots. I have to say, and I'm not a Tory voter, that Mike Penning MP really sounded like he was on our side (as a biker, not a trainer). He is actually a biker! But only time will tell. One thing the DSA, DfT, and Mike Penning Mp have in common though, and that's what happens to the struggling ATB's. They don't give a damn. >:(

Jon_W
08-07-11, 07:54 AM

My point exactly. I strikes me that in all vehicle testing, car and bike the point of testing has been lost and replaced with hoop jumping exercises and Beurocratic mumbo-jumbo.

I can't see many people buying the three different sizes of bike, just buying a 125, then moving on to a full fat after four years. The fourth size by the way is 50cc.....