PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Bike (hopefully)

Cat_Macd
13-07-11, 10:53 PM
Hi there,

been missing form the forum for a bit but thought you might be just the folks to ask....

am buying (hopefully) a bike soon but wondering what questions to ask the dealer? don't wanna sound like a newbie (i am but who wants to sound like it!! lol)

smellygerm
14-07-11, 06:57 AM
They'll probably give you more information about the bikes if your honest , trying to look like you know more than you do could make you look like a bit of a time waster, best thing to do is take someone who knows what to look for or you could end up with a shed load of trouble ;)

Jon_W
14-07-11, 07:52 AM
You need to research the bike you are looking at and find any know faults, recalls etc.

As smelly says, don't be a tyre kicker, just be informed, the dealer will tell you the rest.

470four
14-07-11, 08:10 AM
They'll probably give you more information about the bikes if your honest , trying to look like you know more than you do could make you look like a bit of a time waster, best thing to do is take someone who knows what to look for or you could end up with a shed load of trouble ;)

+1

Take somebody knowledgeable along & they should be able to see any major issues for sure...

Davey
14-07-11, 02:59 PM
What type of bike you looking for? Are you looking for a new/ used? What budget do you have in mind? Where are you looking to buy a bike from?

Don't feel pressured when you go in - if they start talking ****, too technical or down - walk away speak to someone else.

Sit on the bikes - make them work and hold it up so you can get feet on pegs etc to ensure its comfortable.

Go with someone that knows they type of bike rather than someone that thinks they know everything. Don't forget your buying for you not your mates so listen but don't hang on their opinion!

Don't be afraid to ask questions - they're are no stupid questions if you don't know the answer!

Enjoy the buying experiance and get a coffee out of the sales person!

ChrisJo
14-07-11, 05:18 PM

+1

Take somebody knowledgeable along & they should be able to see any major issues for sure...

Better not ask for help here then LOL ;D

NiteW4tcher
14-07-11, 10:06 PM
dont do what i did....took my drz400 to dealers for repairs and out of bordem take a gsxr750 out for a ride....it went like stink so i bought it ;D

Nikki
15-07-11, 01:15 PM
I never worry about sounding like a newbie - use it to your advantage ;)

I spend hours researching the bike I want its faults etc and then go in the dealers as if I havent got a clue - you soon get to spot who are the honest ones then :)

Kevinb
15-07-11, 01:43 PM
Hi there,

been missing form the forum for a bit but thought you might be just the folks to ask....

am buying (hopefully) a bike soon but wondering what questions to ask the dealer? don't wanna sound like a newbie (i am but who wants to sound like it!! lol)

Also depends on which dealer you are talking too. Some I would trust others walk away from.
I spend as much time looking at the paperwork as I do at the bike.

Jon_W
18-07-11, 07:51 AM
Hi there,

Also depends on which dealer you are talking too. Some I would trust others walk away from.
I spend as much time looking at the paperwork as I do at the bike.

Agreed. Go to a recommended dealer.

pluggedinpete
18-07-11, 06:34 PM
Its actually me that will be doing the buying, Cat is my "expert"....

Am having second (and having read a few reviews third an fourth thoughts...)

Does anyone have any first hand experience of Budget bikes? The Varadero I put a deposit on (yeah I know....) is a bit dirty but started well first time, no stuttering or smoke... no visible sign of rust...

Am taking my old man up on Friday because he has way more experience of stuff than me and Cat! hopefully I'm not being hopefully naive....

silly_simon
18-07-11, 07:37 PM
Did you check out Blade trade center aswell ??

Budget bikes ( Swindon) i assume are IMHO what I would call a 'back street' dealer.

I haven't purchased anything from them but have, I must be honest, been up and looked a few times in the past and found the machines over priced for what condition they are in.

To give a couple of examples I looked at a VFR 800i on an R plate(98) they wanted the best part of £2500 and it had done the best part of 58000 miles. ::)
Also I looked at a Fazer 1000 on a 05 plate that was up for £2995 and thought to myself could be a bargain but upon inspection it had accident damage to the headlight fairing and tail piece of which there was no mention on the website. :o :o

Maybe ebay may have been a better place to start BUT I stress thats just my opinion :)

Davey
18-07-11, 09:11 PM
Its actually me that will be doing the buying, Cat is my "expert"....

Am having second (and having read a few reviews third an fourth thoughts...)

Does anyone have any first hand experience of Budget bikes? The Varadero I put a deposit on (yeah I know....) is a bit dirty but started well first time, no stuttering or smoke... no visible sign of rust...

Am taking my old man up on Friday because he has way more experience of stuff than me and Cat! hopefully I'm not being hopefully naive....
Budget bikes is a subsidiary of George Whites it's for the trade and p/x bikes they take in. They may not always know the full history of a bike as they don't buy them in but taking someone in the know will spot things that are wrong - plus ask the questions

pluggedinpete
18-07-11, 09:27 PM
cheers guys....

The trouble with ebay is always the same, after a certain distance getting to see stuff is hard, and have been stung with other goods in the past (though my PS3 is still going strong after four years)

The Varadero at budget bikes is a 2001 model with over 20k miles on it. like I said, to my untrained eye it looks sound, the down pipes don't look rusty; and the rear shock has been replaced...

Bottom line: take it or walk away?

pluggedinpete
19-07-11, 05:58 PM
I'm walking away!

Had a good think and reckon I could stretch to a brand new one.

Nikki
19-07-11, 06:11 PM
I bought a 1200 Bandit from Budget bikes a couple of years ago and got fantastic service - the bike wasn't A1 by any means but I had no problems with it and got excellent service. That was in the old shop though and since they've moved the prices have definately got much higher and for a cheap bike I'd look elsewhere if it was me. Blade (next to Triumph) seem pretty decent and prices are good.

pluggedinpete
19-07-11, 06:44 PM
going to fowlers on friday to see what they've got

Mikkie1986
21-07-11, 05:50 PM
Hello

I run the Blade Trade Centre come down have a coffee, chat and ill show you what iv got or help you find what your after through my trade sources....

Mike

:D

pluggedinpete
21-07-11, 05:57 PM
cheers dude, I might pop up somewhen next week as I'm between finishing one job and starting a new one

wiggy
21-07-11, 07:15 PM
I know very little about modern bikes and not very much about older ones lol know enough to get my through ,but i wouldnt trust my opinion or teq skill to help someone else in a purchase.B ut like everyonehas said ask lots , if they dont know i leave right away ,make sure you get warranty,service new rubber if they look low mot tax ,lid .be cheeky i got tax mot full service new bridgestones aketo leathers and waterproofs thrown in when i got my zr7 lol .Hope it all goes well for you . :)