PDA

View Full Version : G...G...George White's workshop/after sales

Numpty_Dumpty
07-07-11, 11:41 AM
I made the mistake, being new to all things bike, of buying my Diversion from George White's in July of last year. A few issues have arisen in its first twelve months which I have just discussed with the workshop at George Whites.

The first issue is the fact that the left hand switch set, housing the indicator and light switches is letting in quite a bit of water. And I have recently noticed a more or less constant stream of 'rusty' water dripping out of it, which is a very obvious sign that corrosion has already started to take place.

The second issue is a similar one whereby the rev counter unit is also letting in water and on occasions there is enough in the there for a dribble of water to run around the bottom of the unit. This will of course also start leading to corrosion of the unit, not to mention messing with any electrics/electronics nearby.

Having discussed both these issues with George Whites, they have stated that they will not consider looking at either of these components until they have actually failed, and went on to state that this is in no way connected to George White's policy but is instead a manufacturer's restriction.

So, before George White's will help me remedy this problem, on a motorcycle that I bought from them brand new, each component has to actually give up the ghost before they will consider looking at them with a view to having them replaced.

This to me seems obserd and entirely counter intuitive as surely the whole idea is to prevent components failing.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences, either with George White's or not?

Any advice would be appreciated.

spudgun
07-07-11, 11:48 AM
i would class it as a defect in the part and ask demand that they look at it because it's not "fit for purpose" and well within your consumer rights to have it changed

Dabz
07-07-11, 11:53 AM
May be worth contacting the manufacturer directly? Sounds like the fault is with the product not the retailer

Squashed_Fly
07-07-11, 11:58 AM
Quick google search of reviews of George Whites threw these up

http://www.superbikeforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=12235.0

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/vendor-seller-dealer-reviews/88122-joe-rocket-george-whites-swindon-uk.html

I've never had any issues with them, but then I've only used them for clothing and maintenance products.

IMO, you won't get better service than the boys at Triumph, just round the corner from GWs. I'm a stickler for good customer service, and they impressed me on every level, even picking up my bike after it broke down with a flat battery at a garage the other side of Swindon, a week after buying it. They then took me back to the shop where they had coffee waiting for me while they charged and fitted a brand new battery, with an optimate cable, all free of charge.

I will be going back there for my next bike as well

jonnydangerous
07-07-11, 12:09 PM
remind them that a failed indicator unit, may result in an accident which they will "at least" be partly liable for.
inform them that you are keeping a log of conversations, names, subject discussed and outcome and that you will use that in legal procedings if anything happens.

on another note, it might be simpler to seal the components with silicon jelly (this is what we do on the offroaders, and they see LOTS of water).....

Ryan
07-07-11, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't buy a 1 pound dust cap from George whites, always hearing bad stories about after sales care, my mums fella was going to buy a bike from them all signed up and everything to pick the bike up, once they had made the sale they became totally un-interested in helping him, so he cancelled the lot lol

STAY AWAY FROM GW'S

Scotty
07-07-11, 01:05 PM
One thing to bear in mind, the equipment in question hasn't actually failed yet... Neither dealer nor importer are obliged under any warranty conditions to replace an item until it does...

That said, it would be a definite plus point from the perspective of customer service to be pro-active in an issue like this, but were a dealer to do so and then return the unit to the importers, they'd bounce the claim as the part still works so it technically remains fit for purpose. This is all pure hypothesis in reality as a factor in this scenario is GW, whose customer service manual is taken directly from the Waffen SS >:(

Davey
07-07-11, 02:11 PM
Scotty has pretty much hit the nail on the head as the manufacturer won't normally do a warranty repair unless there has been a recall or it has failed. I'd say contact the manufacturer direct and speak to technical and they may authorise it to be looked at.

At least you have all clarified one thing for me and I'm so fooking glad I'm out the motor trade.

Rinksy I wouldn't buy a £1 dust cap from anywhere - only a couple of pence from a motor factors

JohnS
08-07-11, 01:13 PM
Never used GW's for anything other than window shopping but couldn't agree more with SF about Triumph down the road! They have been more than helpful when my bike has been in for servicing or if i've asked stupid questions! :D

Maz
08-07-11, 06:40 PM
Hi,

As some have said, it is not fit for purpose so they should repair this as it's a fault with the bike...also is your bike still under warranty?

I've got a bike from them and signed some paperwork I am sure that they are failing their side of the contract. If you inform your manufacturer ask if they can contact George White! Also keep a log which has also been stated...
Please look at the link, same rights as for a bike http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Buyingacar-yourconsumerrights/DG_183047

Davey
08-07-11, 09:48 PM
Yep and still glad I'm out of it :-)

Numpty_Dumpty
16-07-11, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all your input on this. I will certainly not be letting the issue go. The direct.gov link was particularly useful. After reading that it is without question that the switch set was supplied not fit for purpose, and that's what I'll be pushing.

I have spoken with the folks at Yamaha and they were very helpful, and have told me I am well within my rights to ask GW's, at the very least, to inspect it to assess the problem/damage. They also stated that the issue I am experiencing should not be happening, which doesn't leave GW's much room for manouver.

Please though peeps, thnk twice before handing your cash to GW's. They are fine up until the point you part with your cash, after that they are shocking. I will not be spending another penny there!

Ryan
16-07-11, 08:25 PM
They are fine up until the point you part with your cash, after that they are shocking. I will not be spending another penny there!

Exactly true

HensonA
17-07-11, 12:05 AM
.. I must be the odd one out. Have had no issues from the Honda side of GWs since I've had my Honda from new.
Their main Honda technician only too pleased to help / give advice.

Rear brake light switch on the Gilles rear set, fitted before I colected the bike new, needs replacing after 14 months.
Honda warranty is 24 months but this is not standard part so has 12 mth warranty....
...however, the Honda guy said even though they will have to buy the whole Gilles rear set (apparently can't just buy switch element), they will just swap over the switches. :)

Rabb
24-07-11, 08:35 PM
If the parts are electronic and are letting in water - the units are "not fit for purpose" as they are constantly exposed to the elements ( I would fight this all the way )

benobiker
24-07-11, 10:50 PM
hmmmmmm go straight to the man at the top, take no excuses and ask him if he had that service would he be happy with it. Write a letter and CC it to MCN, WHICH etc. etc. Oh yeah and send GW's phone numbers to the Murdoch's asking if they would check things out for you!