PDA

View Full Version : The Nod

Bonnie850
21-07-11, 10:46 AM
What's happened to The Nod? Having come back to bikes after a few years' break, I'm a little surprised to notice that some riders don't give or reciprocate the Nod. (Not being rude, but I do exclude Harley riders here because they've always only done other funny things, and only to fellow HD owners.)

Is it actually the same as its always been, or have times changed?

NiteW4tcher
21-07-11, 10:49 AM
i pretty much nod at every bike....unless im scraping my sliders then i may not due to concentration ;D

i must admit ive nodded at some bikers and u can see there eyes as they go past and the eyes say...who the hell are you and why are you nodding at me :(

Jon_W
21-07-11, 10:59 AM
I tend to wave rather than nod, but I agree that the number of rider who aknowledge other bikes seems to be in decline.

wiggy
21-07-11, 11:03 AM
I allways nod ,and stop if i see someone on the side of the road ,old skool rules , but as you say its, getting less and less,sad sign of the time,s . :)

NoYou
21-07-11, 11:18 AM
I've noticed it since we've gotten into summer more, people who ride during the winter tend to be die hard bikers and even when I was on L plates most of them gave me a nod, since summer arrived I would say a majority DON'T return "the nod". Kinda sad really one of the joys in biking is the community behind it all, I just hope that doesn't get lost in a London like misery!

Nelly
21-07-11, 11:42 AM
I'm a nodder. Always. But yes there are quite a few around that don't. And you right. Summer seems to bring in the non-nodders. (good name for a band that i think!) :)

nickreeve
21-07-11, 11:43 AM
I think it does depend on where you live , as i live in swindon most bikers do nod or if i nod to them they return with a nod but some do not but not many , so not the case in swindon.

jpssantos
21-07-11, 11:46 AM
yeh, you do get the summer warriors who dont even know what a nod is...

Blackandchrome
21-07-11, 12:39 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/56noddy/NoddyonaNoddyBike.jpg
I just think some bikers don't take it that seriously? ;)

Vee4 Gaz
21-07-11, 02:27 PM
I'm a "nodder" and proud of it.

wiltshire builders
21-07-11, 02:47 PM
It seems that if your engine has horizontally opposed pistons, you are incapable of nodding. (you know who you are!) ;D

Snowy
21-07-11, 03:00 PM
>:(

;D ;D ;D ;D

StreetHippo
21-07-11, 04:36 PM
Always nod, sometimes wave or do the Euro shaky leg thing!!
Less Nodders, especially sunny days ;)

Stu 8-)

wiltshire builders
21-07-11, 04:50 PM
Always nod, sometimes wave or do the Euro shaky leg thing!!
Less Nodders, especially sunny days ;)

Stu 8-)
Euro shaky leg thing is for drivers who let you past, 2 fingers pointing out is the Euro biker salute.

Vee4 Gaz
21-07-11, 05:13 PM
It seems that if your engine has horizontally opposed pistons, you are incapable of nodding. (you know who you are!) ;D

Goldwing riders???? ;)

Bonnie850
21-07-11, 06:00 PM
Funny that. My last three machines before my current one had horizontally-opposed pistons (air-cooled) and I was always capable of nodding. Maybe things are even worse than I first imagined. :o

newnut
21-07-11, 06:57 PM
i always nod, i have noticed the number of returned nods is declining. only time i dont nod is when im in london, i'd feel like a nodding dog then!

Hazel-nut
21-07-11, 07:42 PM
i have noticed i get more nods when out on my own that when in a group! i try and nod but sometimes i'm concentrating on something else so forget to nod

Harry87
21-07-11, 07:44 PM
I normally try and give a more subtle acknowledgement these days. I am impressed how often the oncoming biker sees the particular gesture and gives a more than friendly nod than usual.

Mark_Able
21-07-11, 09:00 PM

Goldwing riders???? ;)

I'm not afraid to say it... BM riders are miserable gits (along with a certain VFR rider)... [smiley=happy.gif]

Kopite
21-07-11, 10:02 PM
Nod..... :)

Snowy
21-07-11, 10:06 PM

Goldwing riders???? ;)

I'm not afraid to say it... BM riders are miserable gits (along with a certain VFR rider)... [smiley=happy.gif]

I ain't going to rise to these insults....and I ain't going to nod either so there...... ;D ;D

I wave instead :)

t1pper
21-07-11, 10:17 PM
I am a nodder to everyone, where possible.

But I must confess I do not usally nod to scooter riders, anyway they are not often actually seen on the roads, spend most of the time parked up in groups lol.

Maybe there is some snobery, if so I must be guilty??

Should scooter riders be worthy of a nod??

YMFB
21-07-11, 10:17 PM
im a bm rider, i always nod unless theres a very good reason. I would say the majority nod back, except HD pilots who have a superior complex. Strange when they are sat on a ditch pump :-)

YMFB
21-07-11, 10:18 PM
I also drive a VW camper, 99.9% of camper drives wave

BladeTriple
21-07-11, 10:36 PM
<<<< sad git here sometimes forget I'm not on the bike and nod to other bikers when I'm out running or in the car .... I get some strange bloody looks ;D

Ryan
21-07-11, 10:59 PM
I nod at all bikers, and normally the little scooter boys as i was myself one of them one day ;D

NoYou
21-07-11, 11:02 PM
To be honest BMW drivers are the same no matter how many wheels they're on :D :D :D
I must admit I don't nod to scooter riders, if they nod ill return it but if they ignore me then hey oh, they're wannabe riders :P

Snowy
21-07-11, 11:12 PM
To be honest BMW drivers are the same no matter how many wheels they're on :D :D :D

Love being sterotyped....... sometimes we are useful though for carrying stuff, pumping up tyres and providing tea and biscuits ;D ;D ;D

Morticia
22-07-11, 06:20 AM
I see more rude riders than nodding ones, unfortunately. I tend to wave and nod, to make sure LOL, I even nod at walking riders...

Morticia
22-07-11, 06:23 AM
I am a nodder to everyone, where possible.

But I must confess I do not usally nod to scooter riders, anyway they are not often actually seen on the roads, spend most of the time parked up in groups lol.

Maybe there is some snobery, if so I must be guilty??

Should scooter riders be worthy of a nod??

I nod to them too, and nine times out of ten they don't nod back, so don't worry about it.

wiltshire builders
22-07-11, 07:29 AM
<<<< sad git here sometimes forget I'm not on the bike and nod to other bikers when I'm out running or in the car .... I get some strange bloody looks ;D
I caught myself doing a lifesaver while walking through a supermarket the other day.....you can't be too careful ;D

Jon_W
22-07-11, 07:57 AM

Unfortunatly so are a lot of sportsbike riders unless you are on a sportsbike.....

It seems to me that there is an element of snobbery... when I'm on the Sv, I get more nods than on the GS.... almost as if the GS isn't worthy of being nodded at.

wiltshire builders
22-07-11, 12:37 PM

Unfortunatly so are a lot of sportsbike riders unless you are on a sportsbike.....

It seems to me that there is an element of snobbery... when I'm on the Sv, I get more nods than on the GS.... almost as if the GS isn't worthy of being nodded at.

How are people being snobs if they're willing to nod to you on an SV.......... ;)

R1chie
22-07-11, 01:07 PM
Soooo many different cliques within biking and peeps don't even realise it or want to admit it (going against some sort of biking brotherhood which there may have been once long ago)

During my biking career, I can count on one hand how many nods I've been given by Goldwing riders. And that's one. And he probably was just nodding along to the music he was listening to. So I don't bother with the initial nod to the dentists these days.

Harleys and other chopper type bikes don't tend to nod back. A minority do. Most don't. Not a full investigation of why this happens admittedly, but those bikers who ride these types of bike that I've spoken to, have ridden for the best part of their life spanning many different types of bike. On asking why a lot of their fellow kind don't nod to me on my dirty-rice-powered-japanese-not-really-a-bike-sportsbike they just shrug. Some even offer a fruitfully explicit description of the none nodders. Each to their own I suppose.

So nowadays...I still nod to most. Others I wait to be nodded at. Some I just offer a remark under my lid ;)

Sign of the times maybe. Even the old scooby wave is dying out. Sad times indeed.

Roxy
22-07-11, 01:24 PM

Goldwing riders???? ;)

I ain't going to rise to these insults....and I ain't going to nod either so there...... ;D ;D

I wave instead :)

Let's not forget the 'Gravel Sweeping Shuffle' ;) ;D ;D

Well I always nod, even if I don't get a nod back but defo not at scooters!! ;D ;D ;D

And as for the Euro thing :-? I found just about all the French, German, Dutch, Spanish riders I went past at Le Mans all shook their leg.

Roxy x

Dabz
22-07-11, 01:27 PM
I got waved at by a guy in a white TT the other day while driving home (for the benefit of those who don't know, I have one too). All I did back was mutter "gay" under my breath.

on the bike I tend to nod at everyone, learners included

R1chie
22-07-11, 01:34 PM
I got waved at by a guy in a white TT the other day while driving home (for the benefit of those who don't know, I have one too). All I did back was mutter "gay" under my breath.

Yeah...the TT's are a bit of a girl's car ;) ;D

Roxy
22-07-11, 01:37 PM

Yeah...the TT's are a bit of a girl's car ;) ;D

Spare a though for poor old Chappers, who had to drive my beautiful VW bug back to mine the other day when I went to collect the bike...lovely green girlie car complete with flowers in the dash!! Ooomph suits you sir! ;D ;D

Roxy x

R1chie
22-07-11, 01:39 PM
This man needs some counselling immediately!!

Roxy
22-07-11, 01:45 PM
This man needs some counselling immediately!!

The pink T shirt just finished it off a treat!

He could have taken the bike option but no....I think he secretly wanted to drive the bug! ;D

Roxy x
(only joking J ;) :-*)

JohnS
22-07-11, 02:50 PM
I'm a nodder at all bikes (except maybe scooters if there's a bunch of them) learners an' all! However, i spend most of my riding time in Essex where most bikers don't bother nodding!

I find it much more friendlier down in the South West than anywhere else so keep up the good vibes Wilthire Bikers!

Bonnie850
22-07-11, 04:46 PM
... I even nod at walking riders...

Yes, I've been nodded to when off the bike but in bike gear - it lifts the spirit!

I don't care which way the world is going, I'm going to just keep on nodding.

Nod ;)

Geordie Stu
22-07-11, 06:42 PM
Nodder at all bike maybe not Scooters but 125cc get a nod as they are nearly full riders ;D

BladeTriple
22-07-11, 06:49 PM
I caught myself doing a lifesaver while walking through a supermarket the other day.....you can't be too careful ;D

Hey its dangerous out there, the last thing you need in sainsburys or tescos is being t-boned... I mean can you imagine the immortal line 'Sorry Mate I Didn't See You' in the supermarket??? Be safe out there !!! ;D ;D ;D

BladeTriple
22-07-11, 06:50 PM
However I wouldn't describe myself as a 'Nodder' as 'Nodder's ' was slang when I was a kid for condoms!!! Nope definitely not a nodder but I do acknowledge other bikers ;) ;D

Red Zed 1
22-07-11, 07:02 PM
i agree with that,but there are a certain handful who i'm sure are quite different. :)

wi77y
22-07-11, 07:26 PM
I tend to nod at anyone but out other day nodded and thought someone didnt nod back but my g/f who was on the back said they did so....

There's a knack to "The Nod." Do it too early and the other rider might not see it. Do it too late and the other guy/gal doesn't get a chance to respond (if he/she was waiting for you to go first).and both nod at the same time no one knows lol :)

Mark_Able
22-07-11, 08:11 PM
Dabz, we call the Audi things tiTTies... ;)

Willy, the answer is to wave... :)

I wave/nod/shake my thing at everyone, regardless of bike. The Goldwing thing surprises me, as I've normally found the most enthusiastic wavers were quite often 'Wing riders. I recall a whole gaggle (if that's the group terminology?) of 'Wing riders waving so enthusiastically that one pillion nearly fell off in the process. Quite a feat, considering the pillion normally has naffing great armrests. The lack of acknowledgement from the HD fraternity, normally comes down to the fact that it's someone having a mid-life crisis, not realising that there is such a thing as a brotherhood of bikers. And let's face it, the average Accountant/Solicitor/Sexual deviant isn't normally friendly to people in their regular life... [smiley=happy.gif]

redken1
22-07-11, 08:26 PM
I'll even nod to a Tory Liverpool fan on a moped - after all, "We are all in it together" ;D ;D ;D

wiltshire builders
23-07-11, 09:34 AM
I'll even nod to a Tory Liverpool fan on a moped - after all, "We are all in it together" ;D ;D ;D
What about Rupert Murdock on a Virago?

Ducatista
23-07-11, 09:53 AM
I nod at everyone regardless of which bike they are on (unless I'm too busy negotiating a junction or something). Mostly I get nods back.

Today I have a Harley loan bike and I have noticed different reactions to me.

When I'm on the Ducati some cruiser riders won't nod and when I'm on the HD, sport bike riders ignore me.
But I'm not fussy, I'll nod at anyone.

silly_simon
23-07-11, 10:05 AM
I will Nod or wave at just about anyone, as Hizzy say's sometimes in the car or the work Lorry :D :D

I think its just a polite thing todo but if there is alot of bikes coming towards me I tend to just put my hand up until they have all gone by :o :o

benobiker
23-07-11, 10:53 AM
I nod at every biker, even some chicken chasers. About half reply and had noticed gixer riders always do except 1 so far.

redken1
23-07-11, 05:07 PM
What about Rupert Murdock on a Virago?

Come on WB everyone has got their breaking point ::)

Loops
23-07-11, 05:21 PM
I nod to everyone unless I'm to busy concentrating on my riding. Even the 125s because I always liked feeling included when I was out on mine 8-)

I tend to pass the same people on my way into work though and I've noticed alot of them don't return the nod even though we've passed multiple times.....
But I did get a big thumbs up from one particular rider that always exchanges nods - he clocked the new bike ;D

bobf279
23-07-11, 05:33 PM
Wave if safe to remove my left hand from the bars otherwise its a nod

NoYou
23-07-11, 07:10 PM
After today I have a new theory! Good weather = lots of nods/waves bad weather = no nod/waves.
On another note I got possibly the most enthusiastic response to a nod ever, was quite heavy traffic in both directions the opposite side was at a standstill but my side was moving 20mph ish I nodded and got a very energetic double handed wave in return, was a bit odd but brought a smile to my face

Rabb
24-07-11, 04:38 PM
I Always nod (unless I'm cornering at speed)

Bonnielass
24-07-11, 06:57 PM
I always nod and mostly get a nod back! :)

mick_benson
24-07-11, 07:27 PM
i always nod, i will return a wave tho, and i wave if i'm in the car, always have, the only time i dont get nod back seems to be on the motorways

Rabb
24-07-11, 10:37 PM
I nod at every biker, even some chicken chasers. About half reply and had noticed gixer riders always do except 1 so far.
That's because all Gixer riders are gents!
Have a wild stabbing guess what my ride is? ;D

NiteW4tcher
24-07-11, 11:26 PM
yes gixxer riders are a cut above the rest.............oh lookwhat i ride :D ;D

Rabb
24-07-11, 11:52 PM

Ditto - great minds think alike! :D

Rossio
25-07-11, 06:07 AM
iencountered all sorts yesterday, nodding, waving and the euro shakey leg! all until i was on my return trip home and passed a HD who just ignored 'the nod'

Scotty
25-07-11, 07:54 AM

They say that fools seldom differ..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)

Rabb
25-07-11, 10:11 PM

I was going to add this in brackets - just in case someone added it

benobiker
25-07-11, 11:02 PM
That's because all Gixer riders are gents!
Have a wild stabbing guess what my ride is? ;D

hmmmmm do it rhyme with fixer????

newnut
25-07-11, 11:30 PM
i do a more of sideways nod, helps keep the eyes on the road. I even nodded to a group of jam sandwich bikes in ascot one evening. (through gritted teeth, i thought it might aid in there decision not to pull me)

Jon_W
26-07-11, 07:45 AM

+1 ;D ;D ;D