PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle roadcraft

wiggy
24-07-11, 12:28 AM
Hiya all just orderd motorcycle road craft from amazon ,£5 deliverd lol anyway one i have read it, happy to lend it to you all to read . :)

NoYou
24-07-11, 06:32 AM
Cool cool let us know how it is :)

RE03
24-07-11, 07:54 AM
Good book, highly recommended :)
Nice idea to pass it round there Wiggy.. spread the love ;)

Ducatista
24-07-11, 06:50 PM
Wiggy - you might already know this, so apologies if you do, but if you want one-to-one coaching on the system described in Roadcraft at charity/volunteer prices, then both ROSPA and the IAM offer this.
Price for the entire course and advanced test is between £160 - £200 based on an average of 8 rides of 3-4 hours (not all riding, lots of talking and tea stops included). Additional rides are £7-£10 and you get as many rides as you need.

wiggy
25-07-11, 07:27 PM
Many thanks for the info i will keep that in mind for later as i would like to do my advanced . :)

Bindyboo
25-07-11, 07:32 PM
I'm looking to do my advanced, so any advice gratefully received :) Stopped dropping it now, so that's a start ;D

Nooj
25-07-11, 08:44 PM
Motorcycle Roadcraft is a book every biker should read. The methods in it apply to any rider on any bike at any speed in any condition. Essential reading in fact.

Mark_Able
25-07-11, 09:42 PM
If you could combine the approach taken in 'Motorcycle Roadcraft' with the handling skills in 'Twist of the Wrist II', you have the perfect combination to make an awesome rider. [smiley=happy.gif]

Nooj
25-07-11, 11:27 PM
I'm working on it. Looooooooong way to go yet though ;D

Ducatista
26-07-11, 09:36 AM
I'm looking to do my advanced, so any advice gratefully received

If you haven't already been on a Bikesafe then start there. It's free (in Wiltshire) and it's a really worthwhile day.

There are usually IAM volunteers there and sometimes ROSPA volunteers so you can chat to them, pick up some leaflets and I think the IAM still do a £15 cashback offer on the day.

If you still aren't sure then go along to one of their meetings/socials and talk to the people there.
If you wanted to you can also go along to one of the IAM rides to see if you like what you see (please ask them first so they are expecting you). ROSPA don't unfortuantely allow guests on their rides but WABAM (wilts and bath IAM) do.
You can do all of that free of charge before committing yourself.

However the best advice I can offer is DO IT.
I have not yet met anyone who has actually done it who didn't feel it was worthwhile and good value for money.
If you genuinely can't afford it, the IAM does offer sponsorship in cases of hardship and a couple of Wiltshire Bikers have been successful in getting this and most of the costs paid for. This is for genuine hardship cases and you do need to present a justification (they are a charity after all).

Bonnie850
27-07-11, 04:22 PM
Having read and then re-read 'Roadcraft', I recently did an intensive one-to-one course with a retired police rider. Over three consequetive days, the instruction completely transformed my riding, to the point where I feel distinctly odd if I find myself riding outside of the police Roadcraft 'system'. The course wasn't as inexpensive as others available, but entirely worthwhile.

I also got hold of a copy of Mike Waite's DVD (another retired police rider who adapted the police's 3-week comprehensive course into a 3-day essentials course), which I watched twice before my course, and can highly recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001XLDS54/ref=wms_ohs_product_

Dex
07-08-11, 10:51 PM
The other great book to search out is "Not the blue book" (Roadcraft is "The Blue Book")

It's basically written to explain how to ride to the system, as the blue book itself can be quite dry at first. I would also back up everything that Ducatista says about getting tuition - as roadcraft is much easier to explain when someone can use examples to help.

Geordie Stu
08-08-11, 08:36 PM
Recommend IAM.

YMFB
14-08-11, 10:32 AM
I am at present an associate with ROSPA (not tested) I passed the IAM test in 2006. I have read the Roadcraft book and not the blue book, for me the former is better presented and easier to use. It is also reccomended by ROSPA and was by the IAM (it may still be)

I have not regretted either and any advanced training is better than none, but IMO the training I am getting from Rospa is streets ahead of that I got from the IAM.

It is also wholly dependant upon your trainer.

I picked the IAM first as at the time they were active in my area. ROSPA in Wilts is by http://northwiltsroadar.co.uk/ but even though Im nr Salisbury I meet my observer about half way.

Buying the book is a good start but you will learn so much more by being observed.

Finally, although some may think IAM/ROSPA is a haven for ex plod spoiling your riding, get real, these people are almost without exception better riders. Obviously as with all walks of life there are knobs and if you get an observer who you cant get on with, speak up ask for another.

YMFB
14-08-11, 10:35 AM
One other point is that the money is very well spent and incredible VFM, you should also get an insurance discount. :-)

Ducatista
15-08-11, 07:19 AM
Just thought I'd mention that the North Wilts Rospa group is also a car group.
If any motorcycle members want to do the car training then it doesn't cost much.
You don't have to pay to join as you're already a member.
You get the roadcraft car book for free.
You don't have to make a contribution to your observer as they come in your car so it's one car as opposed to two bikes.
You effectively get the car training and book for free, all you have to pay is £48 for the test.