PDA

View Full Version : California Superbike School Group Booking

Scotty
30-11-11, 04:34 PM
OK, Hands up those who would like an opportunity to improve their riding. In reality, none of us are at a point where no improvement is possible, and if you're serious about enjoying riding your bike more and getting more from it, then training is the best way to go about it.
One of the biggest bogeymen for riders of all ages and experience levels is cornering. The California Superbike School (CSS) is widely regarded as the best training around for learning to corner with confidence.

From reading that last sentence a number of you will have had two thoughts:

1) CSS is just for racers and trackday riders so it's of no relevance to me.
2) Jesus, that's expensive!

Let's address both of those thoughts:
1) It's a long time since the Romans left our shores and since then our roads are no longer arrow-straight, they all have corners on them, lots of corners of all different shapes and sizes. The physics and fundamentals of getting a bike round a corner are the same, whether it's Fish Hill, the corner down the road from your house, or Paddock Hill bend at Brands Hatch. Many of you have never ridden on track, and many of you will be uncomfortable negotiating bends on roads that you ride with friends at the weekend. Doing CSS isn't purely to turn you into wannabe racers, it's designed to improve confidence when cornering and for many, doing Level I will be enough to really open the door for you to ride with more confidence.
2) Yes, it isn't cheap, but how much did you spend on that bike in your garage, you know, the one that you're still uncomfortable to ride round corners? What you may spend on doing CSS will repay itself time and again in terms of how much more enjoyment you get out of riding your bike.

I'd been riding over thirty years, including racing and trackdays for over a dozen of them when I watched Star do CSS Level I a couple of years ago. I was so impressed with what I saw and heard that day that I decided to do it myself and have since done Levels I & II. I'm signing up to do Levels III & IV this time.

I've been talking to CSS and they are prepared to offer a discount for a group booking (see below), along with the option to pay by instalments. I doubt we'd manage to get a full group of 20 students from this forum alone so I'm posting the offer on other fora too. If you're interested in doing the course, copy the list of names below and paste into a fresh post, adding yours. I will not be arranging bookings - that's up to you, call Lynn on the number below and mention my name (Simon Scott) so she can put us all in the same group booking. CSS runs four levels of training, and everyone starts at Level I, irrespective of the amount of experience you may have.

The following is the text sent to me by CSS:

Looking at May 2nd or 3rd on the Stowe circuit at Silverstone.

We would need minimum of 20 people to sign up. Although we couldn't guarantee there would be an exclusive group as people are put in groups based on ability and level taken. The three groups rotate throughout the day so there is always time to watch one another and have a catch up!

Cost of the day would be £359** a £40 saving on the normal price

Payments can also be made in 3 instalments to ease cashflow in the run up to christmas

Instalment 1 = £159 (£100 of which is a non refundable deposit) due now
Instalment 2 = £100 due 31st Dec
Instalment 3 = £100 due 31st Jan
All payments must be made by the 31st Jan or the course will revert to the full price of £399
10% discount will also apply to any hire bike bookings and Leather hire.
For all booking please call Lynn on 08700 671 061

Have a look at the CSS Website (www.superbikeschool.co.uk)

Important note: if taking up this group offer, call Lynn directly, you won't be able to get the discount if booking on-line.

Participants List
Scotty

NoYou
30-11-11, 05:46 PM
very very tempted by this... will have to wait til the end of the week and see my money situation

Moo
30-11-11, 10:21 PM
Must admit we had a really interesting conversation with Simon Crafar and Neil Hodgeson in Almeria and they had opposing opinions on the benefits of CSS.

I have done level one and found it beneficial but I do not believe it would help me much more as I struggle to ride to their system. It reminds me of a system in diving called DIR (Doing It Right) where they teach a very strict military based system from which no personal deviation is allowed.

I'll think about it tho but not keen on the Stowe circuit either, thats the go cart track inside the main circuit.

Scotty
30-11-11, 10:33 PM
The advantage of the Stowe circuit is that it's all corners so you get to practice what they've just taught you in the classroom - much more useful for learning than getting your chin on the tank down Hangar Straight at 150mph+...

Moo
30-11-11, 10:39 PM
The advantage of the Stowe circuit is that it's all corners so you get to practice what they've just taught you in the classroom - much more useful for learning than getting your chin on the tank down Hangar Straight at 150mph+...

Good point!

Scotty
30-11-11, 10:41 PM
Put your name on the list then, there's a good chap... ;)

Jon_W
01-12-11, 08:06 AM
Would love to do this, but can't afford it..... :( Maybe next year.

Gerry
01-12-11, 10:19 AM
Have got the book and the DVD and it seems really sensible, helpful stuff they do.

However, £359 would pay for two trackdays or a cheap week in Greece (which I'm aware won't help me get out of a bend on the bike when I've got to enthusiastic on the entry).

I would love to do it but am keeping an eye on the thread to see if the £359 is possible, or beter still if the OMCC helps a little.

Very interested though !

Gerry

Roxy
01-12-11, 10:26 AM
Maybe Scotty could treat us all for Christmas?? ;) ;D ;D

Looks great but it's way out of my reach for the time being :(

Roxy x

Dabz
01-12-11, 11:02 AM
Something I've always wanted to do but the cost is prohibitive at the mo :/

Squashed_Fly
07-12-11, 10:40 AM
Did you get much take up in the end on this Scotty?

Just wondering how it would compare to doing the elite session at Ron Haslma, as for almost the same money, you get a hire bike, a full day of sessions, 121 instruction and complete data logging...

Perhaps that would be worth an ask round if this doesn't come off?

Scotty
07-12-11, 12:03 PM
Well, seeing as the only name on the participants list so far is mine, draw your own conclusions. Doug's going to mention it at the OMCC monthly meeting this evening and it'll be interesting to see whether the club committee are prepared to subsidise the cost to an extent - Doug reckons that it's likely as it is actually training. Watch this space.

I think that when Basil did the RH elite class he was only there for half a day. Having studied both schools in action I prefer CSS, but if you want to do RH, fill yer boots.

Honda_Star
07-12-11, 12:44 PM
Having done CSS level 1 I would definitely go back - so i'm happy to be added to the list whether its via WB/OMCC or a mixture of the two.

In comparison to the RH school, personally I much preferred CSS as it is better value for money, but that's just my opinion

Moo
07-12-11, 01:37 PM
Without wishing to cause offence etc by having a differing opinion to previous posters:

Comparing The Ron Haslam School and CSS is a bit like comparing apples and pears though this is not helped by the RH title as is most definitely not a race school.

It's primary purpose is a kind of "my first track day" and as such I believe it offers great value as all the kit is provided and you don't pay anything if you bin it. Ask Don.

If after your 1st RH experience you find that actually you quite like this track riding lark then you can go out and get yourself a track bike and kick my ass. Again ask Don.

If you have done any kind of track days before I would agree with Scotty that it's value is greatly diminished and I would not recommend it for progressing beyond that first track day experience as you will be frustrated by the lack of tracktime and the inability to ride at your own pace and improve your riding.

The above are my opinions and are hopefully neither offensive or abusive but you can never tell, even if there is no intent. :-/

Squashed_Fly
07-12-11, 02:01 PM
Lol, I love the fact that we're all putting in 'no offence disclaimers' now!

People can be so quick to take it where there is none meant, and some just do it to cause a fuss.

But yours and Scotty's points are good. Maybe CSS will be an option in the future then. In the meantime, I'll settle for the free instructors at the track days I'll do next year!

Thanks for the advice both :)

Gerry
07-12-11, 04:26 PM
Dear Mr Moo,
I agree about your summing up of the Ron Haslam day, although I’m sure the Elite day is better. But I found they day we went on a little disappointing due to the time we had both on track and talking to the instructors.
As you said, a “Race School” it isn’t, or at least not the first package.

Saying that the bike was a revelation and went most of the way to persuading me to buy a modern IL4 and selling the VTwin SV.

I’d love to do the CSS, and am holding off until I see what the OMCC do, but even if it drops to £300 it’s still a lot of money for me.

G

Disclaimer: without limitation, this is not intended to be, nor should it be construed or deemed to be, in any way, the stirring of any receptacle, pot or otherwise, whether in a clockwise or anti-clockwise motion nor the incitement of anything other than a private chuckle and perhaps the wry raising of an eye brow (Thanks A.J) ;)

Dabz
07-12-11, 04:38 PM
Having seen Basil's paperwork from the Elite day, it's much more focussed. His 1-on-1 instruction knocked about 12 seconds off a lap and they use gadgets galore to monitor speed, acceleration, braking and gear selection at all times during the lap, and then pinpoint what to do next time round. Perfect if you want to be able to do an awesome lap of silverstone but possibly not so helpful if you won't be riding that track much - I'm not convinced that concentrating on "ok this corner you need this gear on this bike and accellerate to these revs by here" improves overall track riding, but then what do I know!

CSBS sounds bloody brilliant in comparison - teaching transferable skills.

Bought a scratchcard at the weekend, didn't win, so still a no-go for me :(

Simmsy
07-12-11, 07:34 PM
Participants List
Scotty

2. Simmsy

I've taken the plunge ... added a post to the forum 8-) ... but also contacted CSS to book a place :o