PDA

View Full Version : reply from MEP

NiteW4tcher
05-12-11, 06:16 PM
this is a reply i got from a email i sent. ok the email itseelf i copied and just put my name on end of it but i thoght u may be intrested in the reply

Dear Mr Mills

Thank you for your email.

This proposal is still before the European Parliament in 1st reading with the Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) Committee in the lead. The Committee vote has been postponed to 5th December due to the negotiations that have been ongoing. It has been agreed that the bikers’ concerns will be heard in the European Parliament.

As you will see below the Conservative MEPs that help make up the European Conservatives and Reformists Group (ECR) in the European Parliament have made good ground on many areas of the legislation. Unfortunately there still seems to be major issues that we do not agree with the majority of the Committee on and will keep endeavouring to get things changed.

Items Where We Have Achieved Success (Including Anti-Tampering)

The ECR have managed to successfully knock out all amendments to the proposal which were entirely outside of the regulation – including:

· Anti-tampering legislation

· Mandatory reflective clothing

· Limits on Single Vehicle Approval (SVA)

· ATVs – these will now not be covered under this regulation, but under a completely new category in the Tractor Regulations to which the ECR Group are working towards in conjunction with the All Terrain Vehicle Industry European Association (ATVEA)

Mandatory Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)

It is already the case that motorcycle manufacturers are fitting ABS as well as traction control systems on high powered motorcycles, and this follows consumer demand. There is also strong political pressure to get the balance of interests right between riders, the industry, and safety, while not losing sight of improvements to motorcycle emissions.

The overall cost benefit of ABS is stacked in favour of mandatory ABS for higher powered motorcycles. Riders and the ECR have been arguing for an ABS off-switch for certain conditions such as driving on loose gravel.

However, not only is the majority of the Committee trying to bring the implementation date forwards by a year and extend cover to scooters (not mopeds), for which the ECR claim there is no proven case of overall added value; but it looks increasingly likely that the mandatory ABS will go through.

The ECR lead member on the Committee, Malcolm Harbour MEP, has managed to secure overall agreement to have the policy department conduct a specific impact assessment for this proposal which no one has ever costed before.

Mandatory On-Board Diagnostic Equipment (OBD)

The intention of OBD is not to affect the motorcycle's behaviour, but to provide the rider with information that there is a malfunction in the form of a warning light – otherwise known as OBD Stage I. We are completely against ‘limp-home’ functions that may activate unexpectedly while riding – known as OBD Stage II. If the malfunction is so serious that the motorcycle runs a real and imminent risk of being seriously damaged, compromising rider security in the process, a limp home function might be welcome. However, this is not what is currently being considered under OBD Stage II and both the ECR MEPs and the UK’s Department for Transport remain opposed to their inclusion in this regulation. Unfortunately at the moment the majority of the Committee want to impose OBD Stage II on all motorcycles apart from mopeds.

I trust that this clarifies the current situation.

Kind regards

Ashley Fox MEP

Nooj
05-12-11, 11:34 PM
It is already the case that motorcycle manufacturers are fitting ABS as well as traction control systems on high powered motorcycles, and this follows consumer demand

Really? Most, if not all, of my customers I've spoken to about this believe ABS should be optional.

Jon_W
08-12-11, 10:32 AM
Interesting letter. Thanks for posting it.