PDA

View Full Version : Major mile munching

Marmalade
25-11-11, 07:46 PM
Apart from the end to end madness earlier in the year where 3 of us did the 820 miles in 17 hours

My previous short time/long distance by bike was a 36hr/1300 mile run from the Algarve, Portugal to Caen via Madrid

Left home after 10 am yesterday, Buckingham (midday), Edinburgh (6pm), Bristol (3am). Collect 7am, Leeds(midday), Salisbury(6pm)

32hrs/1400 miles
http://g.co/maps/87u2h

What do you think could realistically be done?

I'm fancying a lands end to john o'groats and back over 36 hrs. 1600+ miles.

Anyone up for having a go in the summer?

Nooj
26-11-11, 01:40 AM
Not with petrol prices as they are!

pilninggas
26-11-11, 10:13 AM
Apart from the end to end madness earlier in the year where 3 of us did the 820 miles in 17 hours

My previous short time/long distance by bike was a 36hr/1300 mile run from the Algarve, Portugal to Caen via Madrid

Left home after 10 am yesterday, Buckingham (midday), Edinburgh (6pm), Bristol (3am). Collect 7am, Leeds(midday), Salisbury(6pm)

32hrs/1400 miles
http://g.co/maps/87u2h

What do you think could realistically be done?

I'm fancying a lands end to john o'groats and back over 36 hrs. 1600+ miles.

1600 miles could get you to the Balkan Peninsula or the Arctic Circle (for example) - wouldn't that be a great target for 36 hours?

At least then at the end of it you could have a few days in a very different place, then maybe come back in a few steps as a mini-tour?

Never been to John O'Groats, but can't imagine hours on the UK network is worth all that. I do understand the end-to-end in a day for charity or for your own personal bucket list.

At least see something on the way.

Most i've done is 900miles in a day (plus 1 1/2hours on the ferry), but 1600 miles in 36hr does sound good if it gets me somewhere interesting.

Marmalade
26-11-11, 11:01 AM
On a courier site it's looking like they're up for a southernish heading trip, as far as you can get in 24hrs with the target down into italy. Starting from Calais.

I put in £197.28 of petrol over Thurs and Fri :o :'(

FJ_Biker
26-11-11, 09:17 PM
Years ago when I used to holiday on the bike in Europe I have done a few 600 plus miles in one day when coming home.

Good luck with your run in the summer.

Years ago when I had a bit more spare cash and time on my hands I thought about the Iron butt run http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Butt_Association

redken1
26-11-11, 10:14 PM
How about a non-motorway Dawn till dusk ride one way from Lands End to John O' Groats? I think it is possible, but would be a real challenge. If it was to be achieved it would require precision planning with a small number of bikes and would have to happen within a 4 week window of opportunity either side of the longest day at the end of June. This is something I’ve always wanted to attempt and hopefully it would attract sponsorship for a worthy charity. What about next year? From my point of view the 36 hours return journey is too tight to allow for a good night’s sleep (at my age I need me kip to stay focused lol). Anyway, what do you think?

@bj
27-11-11, 01:15 AM
Presumably the end to end 17 hours was using the motorway network..? Off motorway - it's gonna take more than double that time...

Doesn't seem likely that it can be done dawn to dusk...

pilninggas
27-11-11, 10:41 AM
How about a non-motorway Dawn till dusk ride one way from Lands End to John O' Groats? I think it is possible, but would be a real challenge. If it was to be achieved it would require precision planning with a small number of bikes and would have to happen within a 4 week window of opportunity either side of the longest day at the end of June. This is something I’ve always wanted to attempt and hopefully it would attract sponsorship for a worthy charity. What about next year? From my point of view the 36 hours return journey is too tight to allow for a good night’s sleep (at my age I need me kip to stay focused lol). Anyway, what do you think?

Probably not possible (shame as it is a great idea), if you consider Exeter to Bristol - on the motorway that takes an hour-ish, on the A38, due to villages (30), 50-zones etc the quickest it can be done is about 2 hours and that is stretching the limits considerably.

Marmalade
27-11-11, 10:43 AM
It was done on motorways. Raised a lump of cash for charities including the Wilts air ambulance.

It rained, lots and then some more. 75% of the journey it really did come down. Spent 90 mins in Bristol trying to get the internet connection working so an on the road blog could be loaded to the site and it wasn't happening so we gave it up as a bad job.

An hour in gretna services as the torrential rain meant we couldn't see much and the motorway had turned into a river so took an unplanned meal break while it passed.

if the weather had been the reasonably expected dry summer and technology had worked as all tested the day before we'd have probably been in JOG by 8pm

Can't see it being done dawn to dusk off the motorway. A highly unlikely average of 50mph with no stops would see you running out of light.

3 of us did the trip this year, next year I would like to get more going. Just for the hell of it really and it'll get a couple of pennies into worthy charities while we're out on a jolly.

It's going to turn into a holiday for a few of us. I'm planning to do the arranged trip into Germany and spend the night then head off to prague the next day, just for the day probably and then possibly go down to Munich and a few days in Austria and italy before making my way back north via Switzerland and France.

It'll most likely change when the time comes but see how weather and money is at the time

Morticia
27-11-11, 03:04 PM

Yep, ME!!!!!

redken1
27-11-11, 08:20 PM
I was planning a trip to Scotland next year. I have travelled from Bath to 20 miles north of Inverness (where I lived at the time) many times on a number of different bikes. Have visited Wick (near John O’Groats) many times too. Using my previous journey times I have a rough yardstick to calculate what may be possible riding legally and safely. However I don’t have a clue as to a realistic non-motorway journey time form Lands End to Bath. Any ideas? I am confident that a Dawn till Dusk ride using the motorway (as you say Marmalade, has been done before)network would be possible comfortably subject to no major problems such as closures etc. Haven’t given up on this yet but I will go along with the consensus of opinion. Don't forget, Negotiate Glasgow which aint too bad and it's like riding in a different country in terms of traffic volume. Glasgow to Groaty is a fantastic ride and we could ride down the West coast of Scotland southbound.

Splash
02-12-11, 03:40 PM
I'd be up for this! Providing you won't be going a tonne the entire way. My little CBR250R wouldn't cope!

Jon_W
02-12-11, 04:18 PM
I'd be up for this! Providing you won't be going a tonne the entire way. My little CBR250R wouldn't cope!

Bearing in mind the average is about 45mph.... that's going to be a quick run!!!!

Marmalade
03-12-11, 12:42 AM

Would you fancy the Germany trip in the summer?

I was going to try to get in to see you for that coffee today on my way back from Manchester (on the scoot) but was a little too late coming through cirencester.

Morticia
03-12-11, 05:23 PM
I was planning a trip to Scotland next year. I have travelled from Bath to 20 miles north of Inverness (where I lived at the time) many times on a number of different bikes. Have visited Wick (near John O’Groats) many times too. Using my previous journey times I have a rough yardstick to calculate what may be possible riding legally and safely. However I don’t have a clue as to a realistic non-motorway journey time form Lands End to Bath. Any ideas? I am confident that a Dawn till Dusk ride using the motorway (as you say Marmalade, has been done before)network would be possible comfortably subject to no major problems such as closures etc. Haven’t given up on this yet but I will go along with the consensus of opinion. Don't forget, Negotiate Glasgow which aint too bad and it's like riding in a different country in terms of traffic volume. Glasgow to Groaty is a fantastic ride and we could ride down the West coast of Scotland southbound.

I've been wanting to go to Scotland for aaaaaaaaaages. Let me know if you're serious about it, I wanna!!! :D

redken1
03-12-11, 09:02 PM
Morticia, I usually travel to the Highlands every year to tour and visit friends, but I missed last year. On reflection and after listening to the comments on this thread I think perhaps the dawn till dusk ride was a bit too ambitious on my part. However, I am definitely riding up to Scotland 2012. Although nothing planned yet I’ve pencilled in end of June approx. Of course it would be brill if other WB members wish to come along. I’m self employed so therefore flexible with regards to dates – more than happy to go with the flow. Perhaps I should post a trip to Scotland on the trips section. What do you think?

Marmalade
04-12-11, 02:01 PM
[quote author=monday21 link=1322246774/10#10 date=1322421601]

I've been wanting to go to Scotland for aaaaaaaaaages. Let me know if you're serious about it, I wanna!!! :D

Always serious.

Everywhere is too close these days. I went to Edinburgh and back last thurs, Leeds friday 1500 miles in the 36 hrs.

The lands end to john o'groats and back again in 24hrs will be a decent challenge.

The trip out to germany instead of going off into czech and austria seems to be leaning more towards denmark / Norway if anyone is interested.

Of course if anyone just fancies the charity bit of the ride out to Germany and then do whatever takes your fancy once there you are more than welcome to do so.

Splash
04-12-11, 03:04 PM
Would you fancy the Germany trip in the summer?

I was going to try to get in to see you for that coffee today on my way back from Manchester (on the scoot) but was a little too late coming through cirencester.

Potentially, I need to work out how many days holiday I'll have left and if I'm going on the annual family hol - If there are some left I'd seriously think about it, cash depending - Seen a new 2012 Honda bike I'd like! :D

Marmalade
04-12-11, 03:18 PM
It doesn't need to cost much. Tunnel £25 - £50 dependent on how long you are staying plus fuel.

I'll be taking a tent and camping gear but may stay in a hotel if i can find somewhere cheap close by.
Planning on having a nosy around if i get out that way beforehand

njl
04-12-11, 06:37 PM
[quote author=monday21 link=1322246774/10#10 date=1322421601]

Always serious.

Everywhere is too close these days. I went to Edinburgh and back last thurs, Leeds friday 1500 miles in the 36 hrs.

The lands end to john o'groats and back again in 24hrs will be a decent challenge.

The trip out to germany instead of going off into czech and austria seems to be leaning more towards denmark / Norway if anyone is interested.

Of course if anyone just fancies the charity bit of the ride out to Germany and then do whatever takes your fancy once there you are more than welcome to do so.

Denmark / Norway sounds great to me, I'll keep an eye on the thread!

Splash
07-12-11, 12:57 PM
Germany then onwards to.... Millau Bridge! I wish! 8-)

Marmalade
08-12-11, 02:38 AM
Yeah, that's a bit like Norwich via manchester.

The only thing stopping you is you and money probably.

Splash
08-12-11, 08:18 AM
Yup! I have the money but as I'm a Buyer in the 'real world' I now hate spending my own money.... but when its your employer - Not a problem! ::)

Marmalade
08-12-11, 09:26 PM
I like spending money.

Not on things i see as waste though. Bikes, gadgets, business investment etc all good

Flowers, expensive holidays, weddings etc I see as pointless throwing away of money. (not a romantic bone ;D )

riding hundreds of miles before crashing out in a £20 hotel is all good, denmark will be nice since i've never been there although it does mean I won't be doing the Germany run on the scoot. 3000 miles in a week or so might be the end of it.

Nooj
09-12-11, 01:16 AM
What do you do about the language barrier? Or don't you have one?

Splash
09-12-11, 10:48 AM
riding hundreds of miles before crashing out in a £20 hotel is all good, denmark will be nice since i've never been there although it does mean I won't be doing the Germany run on the scoot. 3000 miles in a week or so might be the end of it.

Now that sounds the business....! 8-)

Marmalade
09-12-11, 10:54 AM
What do you do about the language barrier? Or don't you have one?

A very decent percentage of euroland residents, or at least the retail sector speak better english than most of the people living in England.
In the few cases where they don't I just scrape by or use one of the translators on my iphone where i type in what i want and the phone says it.

Wierd thing is you can be in Germany where most speak english then go over the border to Czech and would have to hunt for someone who understands anything you say. Had a job going out to Prague once or twice a month for 6 months and never found anyone who spoke english.

mick_benson
09-12-11, 07:38 PM
We're riding to spain over xmas will be our first long run, if all works to plan could be interested in Europe tour

Splash
10-12-11, 09:45 PM
We're riding to spain over xmas will be our first long run, if all works to plan could be interested in Europe tour

Awesome! :D

Marmalade
10-12-11, 11:00 PM
I love riding in that part of europe. You can plan stuff for the following day pretty much sure it won't be raining and there are no travel lodges trying to charge you £80 for a room.

Don't get many jobs down that way, bit too rich for most people. They realise their delivery isn't quite so urgent after all.