PDA

View Full Version : Helmet lifespan

billinom8
29-12-11, 09:32 PM
Ok, so we all have different model lids and have different favorites but what i am asking is this,

HOW LONG DO THEY LAST ?

I have had my OGK for a few years now and was wondering if it was still safe.

wiltshire builders
29-12-11, 09:40 PM
Was always told 7 years on the shelf, 5 years on the road.

Jacde
29-12-11, 11:22 PM
Think the amount of usage it gets will be a contributing factor to the helmets life span.
Was told exposure to UV light can break down the compsition of the helmet, plus continious use will mean the interior won't be as 'snug' as new.

I'm sure you could google more info online.

Nooj
30-12-11, 01:36 AM
5-6 years of regular use AFAIK for composite shells, I wouldn't even consider using a plastic shell as it'll be getting brittle after a year of moderate use.

Mitch9128
30-12-11, 10:40 AM
I think Arai will do a free health check on your lid, obvs it has to be an Arai.

Mark_Able
30-12-11, 08:57 PM
The general information we've been given says 3 years for polycarb (plastic) helmets, and 5 years for glassfibre/composite helmets. Having said that, better quality helmets will probably exceed that. Arai's, I've been told by an Arai tech bloke, easily out last 5 years (more like 7 years). UV does affect helmets though, so you don't want to do as one of my neighbours does, and keep it in the front window... ::)

Jon_W
02-01-12, 06:10 PM
Rule of thumb is 3 years for polycarb and 5 for fiberglass / carbon kevlar.

If kept in the dark for long periods this can be longer, but I don't chance it.

Mikkie1986
03-01-12, 04:18 PM
This is a huge matter in the industry at the moment.

There was a big report in dealer news not so long back about a certain local large retailer /warehouse which sell discounted helmets/gear. Problem was the dates were not being shown and in alot of cases were being taken off many products. This made them able to sell helmets for more money even though they were very old stock and in many cases shouldnt have been on sale.

Note to anyone buying a discounted or even New model helmets. Check the dates and if they are not on there then dont buy it!

Second hand helmets... Unless professionally scanned dont buy one....

You only hit your head once.... better safe then sorry! Surely brain damage or life isnt worth risking.

If you ride a motorcyle its down to you to use your head and not cut corners . ::)

njl
03-01-12, 06:14 PM
So is the manufacture date meant to be on the lid itself or just on the box? I only found out recently about it being on tyre wall, after buying a rather old one..

Rabb
03-01-12, 08:09 PM
I am a climber and have many helmets.
With climbing helmets the important date is the date that you start exposing the helmet to U.V. ; organic contaminants and water. Obviously how often you use the helmet is a factor.
From my experience with this type of helmet the rule of thumb is as follows:
Occasional use - 5 years
Everyday use - 3 years
After a drop - replace immediately.
I hope that this is of use......
I may be completely wrong but don't Arai give you a 5 year guarantee?
- this would in some way support my tenuous link

gibbo
03-01-12, 08:12 PM
Where are the dates supposed to be on a helmet. :-/

Mark_Able
03-01-12, 08:40 PM
Under the lining there should be a label with the 'Release date' printed somewhere. Something like '1st quarter 2012'.

Arai's are guaranteed for five years. Having spoken to an Arai rep, they use a different type of foam that is more effective at reforming it's shape. That way it takes longer before the helmet starts to feel loose.

Many times we've come across helmets that are out of date, even though they've only just been bought. The worst one was a helmet that was displaying a 'British Standard Kite Mark', even though these had been phased out 7 years previously... >:(

Incidentally, if anyone is riding with a helmet displaying the old kite mark, chuck it in the bin. Trust me, it's knackered... ::)

Rabb
03-01-12, 08:41 PM
I would imagine that the box / labels for the helmet have a manufacture date.
I have checked mine and I cannot see a date anywhere apart from on my visor.

njl
03-01-12, 10:28 PM
I've found dates in mine, under the liner inside the lid on both my hjc and shoei, took a bit of poking about though

Rabb
04-01-12, 05:10 PM
I've found dates in mine, under the liner inside the lid on both my hjc and shoei, took a bit of poking about though

Now I'm going to look in my HJC.....

Rabb
04-01-12, 09:39 PM
HJC helmet dated : Sept 2008
Bought and first used in October 2010

billinom8
04-01-12, 11:24 PM
is this gonna turn into some kind of confessional now ? ;D

hello, my name is simon and i have an OGK FF3 :D

Mikkie1986
05-01-12, 09:14 AM
Expired in 2008 Rabb? Hope not..

Mark_Able
06-01-12, 08:41 PM
Really you should be buying a helmet dated in the last six months. If it's older it should be discounted accordingly. :-/

Rabb
06-01-12, 08:44 PM
Expired in 2008 Rabb? Hope not..

No - the date in helmets is the manufacture date (not an expiry date)

gibbo
06-01-12, 08:46 PM
Under the lining there should be a label with the 'Release date' printed somewhere. Something like '1st quarter 2012'.

Arai's are guaranteed for five years. Having spoken to an Arai rep, they use a different type of foam that is more effective at reforming it's shape. That way it takes longer before the helmet starts to feel loose.

Many times we've come across helmets that are out of date, even though they've only just been bought. The worst one was a helmet that was displaying a 'British Standard Kite Mark', even though these had been phased out 7 years previously... >:(

Incidentally, if anyone is riding with a helmet displaying the old kite mark, chuck it in the bin. Trust me, it's knackered... ::)

Thanks for the advice Able. I'll go and have a look. :)

Toph
06-01-12, 08:52 PM
I've just bought a new helmet from George Whites... luvverly it is too!!
but a little confession...
The helmet I was using previously was bought new by my elder brother in 1984. :o :o :o

You'll all be pleased to know it's now been binned. :-[

SupeRDel
06-01-12, 09:32 PM
In November I was at the Blue Haze Day at the Ace cafe.

One of the Aircooled RD Club members arrived on his 1976 RD250. He was wearing his Jarno Saarinen replica helmet.

Manufactured in 1973. His bike with the helmet on the seat appeared in the MCN a few weeks back.

Talking of old helmets - open faced 80's helmets are highly prized by classic riders in malaya and they will pay lots of money for old helmets