PDA

View Full Version : Hi-vis law in France and Ireland passed, who's nex

Nooj
09-01-12, 06:46 PM
Against EU Member States Introducing Mandatory High Visibility Clothing For Motorcyclists

Responsible department: Department for Transport

We the undersigned urge the British Government to put pressure on the European Commission to discipline any member state that imposes clothing standards on motorcycle riders. We view any such requirement as an expression of prejudice against motorcyclists and a barrier to the free movement of people within the EU. With regard to the current proposals on mandatory high visibility clothing being considered by some member states, we consider this to be ill advised and naïve. We challenge the speculation that high visibility clothing will reduce accidents involving motorcyclists. We question the right of motorists to hold driving licenses if they are incapable of seeing a rider and motorcycle unless clad in high visibility clothing. We challenge the logic that imposes unreasonable requirements on the victims of accidents in order to accommodate the failings of those who cause them

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/26931

Splash
09-01-12, 07:06 PM
Signed and tweeted out!

Trev
09-01-12, 07:33 PM
signed and submitted - I was looking forward to my annual bimble through France again, looks like another item of biking gear to purchase.

How on earth have I survived 30 years of riding on 40 odd different bikes with no Hi-Viz and not one 'sorry I didn't see you mate' accident? Perhaps I'm just an incredibly skilful, careful and talented rider ::) or maybe it makes not a blind bit of difference - surely not!

At least I'll be able to mingle in with the dozens of other Hi-Viz wearers along the roads ;D

wiltshire builders
09-01-12, 07:42 PM
So I can ride in my pants and socks as long as they're hi-viz but if i'm just wearing leathers i'll get fined?

redken1
09-01-12, 07:46 PM
Biker clones or an advert for a mobile phone company? :-?

Toph
09-01-12, 08:46 PM
Signed and verified.

this says it all...

"We challenge the logic that imposes unreasonable requirements on the victims of accidents in order to accommodate the failings of those who cause them."

...word !

Trev
09-01-12, 09:31 PM
So I can ride in my pants and socks as long as they're hi-viz but if i'm just wearing leathers i'll get fined?

Hi viz pants, is that like the pair I picked up at Ann Summers the other weekend for my dearly beloved ;)

Thorkill_The_Tall
09-01-12, 09:50 PM
I have been led to believe that the reason behind this legislation is not an attempt to reduce motorcycle accidents, directly speaking, more of an attempt to make riders more visible if/when they fall off.
( don't shoot the messenger if incorrect, etc, etc...)

Don't forget, the EU funded Maids Report found no advantage for PTW users wearing hi-viz.

No doubt the Frenchies will start blockading the ports and burning British lamb to register their dislike of the impending legislation, so don't give up hope just yet ;)

alanTDM
09-01-12, 11:24 PM
Signed and on Facebook now

Mikkie1986
10-01-12, 11:12 AM
Signed.

If we all started wearing Hi Vis Rossi would have to change his colours to stand out more..... :P

Geordie Stu
10-01-12, 02:12 PM
Done [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Vee4 Gaz
11-01-12, 12:13 AM
Done

Nelly
11-01-12, 07:21 AM
Done.