PDA

View Full Version : Help with tyres please ???

abxv535
06-01-12, 12:23 AM
Hi everyone.
I'm having my rear wheel refurbished so I'm thinking about replacing the rear tyre as well , I'm running now on Bridgestones BT21 front and rear on my ZX9R, should I keep to the same brand/pattern ? do I need to have the same front and rear? I don't know anything about bike tyres so any advise will be very welcome.
Cheers

njl
06-01-12, 01:42 AM
Tyre threads - Expect an array of responses.

Best combi is going to be keeping with brand and model. Both front and rear will have similar grip, profile, ability in the wet, wear characteristics etc.

You can choose to mix it up, however should you have a broad difference in compound giving front or rear significantly more grip and your cornering near 'the limit'', one end is going to give up before the other and wouldn't end well.

However if you are just riding on the road you may well not get close in which case that would just be theoretical, though we never know quite what's around the next bend.

Personally I'd not be concerned on something I'd ride like a commuter but for peace of mind I'd keep them both close to the same. You may find a better deal on a pair purchase.

Jon_W
06-01-12, 07:43 AM
With monotonus predictability I'll recomend bridgestones. Worth the bit extra in my book.

Squashed_Fly
06-01-12, 10:26 AM
The best piece of advice I have been given, by someone I trust with my life when it comes to bikes/tyres, is that the brand/tread doesn't matter so much, just make sure your front is stickier than your rear (we are still talking tyres for those with dirty minds!).

I've got an Avon rear and Dunlop front and they have been perfect in all weathers last year. I had bridgestones on the bike when I bought it, and I couldn't stand them - very twitchy in the wet.

Each bike will make a tyre work differently, so what works for some might not work for others - best bet is to join a forum for ninjas, and ask the other zx9 riders what they run and what works???

Snowy
06-01-12, 12:45 PM
Personally I would never mix and match tyres - I don't want to have that particular conversation with the insurance company that I hope I will never have! That's not saying it's a bad thing to do from a handling perspective as long as you don't mix certain "types" of tyre i.e radials, crossply etc., but I don't want to give my insurance company an inch when I know they will take a mile :) Things like this are always fine...until something goes wrong and then everyone starts changing their tune. It's your life and you only have one of them.

gibbo
06-01-12, 08:41 PM
Tyre threads - Expect an array of responses.

Best combi is going to be keeping with brand and model. Both front and rear will have similar grip, profile, ability in the wet, wear characteristics etc.

You can choose to mix it up, however should you have a broad difference in compound giving front or rear significantly more grip and your cornering near 'the limit'', one end is going to give up before the other and wouldn't end well.

However if you are just riding on the road you may well not get close in which case that would just be theoretical, though we never know quite what's around the next bend.

Personally I'd not be concerned on something I'd ride like a commuter but for peace of mind I'd keep them both close to the same. You may find a better deal on a pair purchase.

Good advice from NickL here :) Agree.

Caz
06-01-12, 08:44 PM
Try M & P I highly recommend them and it only cost me £20 to have the tyres fitted inc balancing and I took the bike so they took the wheels off.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/products/list/Tyres/Tyre-Offers

Mark_Able
06-01-12, 08:47 PM
Stick with what you've got. If you're not experiencing any issues, why change? I defy the average rider, on average roads, on an average bike, to tell the difference between most brands of tyres (except maybe for wet weather use). :)

Mark_Able
06-01-12, 08:49 PM
Oh, and I've often mixed brands front and rear without the slightest issue... :)

abxv535
06-01-12, 11:37 PM
Caz955 I don't have any problems getting tyres, I work for a car tyre garage our suppliers do motorbike tyres as well , I just don't know anything about bike tyres, bridgestone BT14 Bt 21,continental motion, michelins pilot road are all around same price just don't know which were better... too much choice , just trying to get the best for my money...

Able Training I didn't have any problems with my old tyre, but saying that I don't push my bike seeing that I new to sports bikes and don't feel very confident yet... specially around corners :-[ and don't use the bike much when raining ... seeing that i don't have much experience in this subject i tought it would be better to ask advice to mere experienced riders.

Squashed_Fly thanks for your advise I've registered to the zx9r forum waiting to see what they recommend .

Thanks for everyone's advice 8-)

Mark_Able
07-01-12, 08:01 PM
That's fine mate, but so many people have their preferences, but normally with no logical reason. There's probably not a tyre on the market that doesn't perform these days. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

abxv535
07-01-12, 11:17 PM
fair enough... will stick with the BT21 ,not knowing much about it Just wanted to make sure I was getting the the right stuff. :)

cheers m8 8-)

Caz
08-01-12, 11:03 PM
Oops sorry :)

abxv535
09-01-12, 11:17 PM
Don't be sorry, thanks for your post caz955. I don't know anything about bike tires! I was today told that the bridgestone bt021 was replaced for the bt023 and I should go for that one!
I've noticed by your link that i'm not getting the tyres any cheaper from our suppliers :-[ i only save on p&p and fitting . appreciate everyone 's help.

Mitch9128
12-01-12, 03:45 PM
M&P are doing 014's a pair for £140, buy them.