PDA

View Full Version : Tinted visors

RedSoul
10-01-12, 11:07 AM
As alot of you already know i wear sunglases under my clear visor virtually all the time as my eyes are quite sensitive to light.

Am now thinking of buying either a light tinted visor or dark tinted visor and would like views of both from people who are using them and yes i know the dark tinted visors are illegal but more concerned about what suits me best rather than the law.

Dabz
10-01-12, 11:15 AM
I use a heavily tinted visor in summer, absolutely love it for sunny days. Having moved to wearing contact lenses so I didn't have to faff with glasses under my helmet I didn't want to then start using sunglasses.

Snowy
10-01-12, 11:24 AM
As alot of you already know i wear sunglases under my clear visor virtually all the time as my eyes are quite sensitive to light.

Am now thinking of buying either a light tinted visor or dark tinted visor and would like views of both from people who are using them and yes i know the dark tinted visors are illegal but more concerned about what suits me best rather than the law.

The problem with the dark tinted visors other than the legality is taking a clear one with you as well incase of bad weather or getting caught out at night. I love my internal dark sunvisor in my Schuberth for that reason - best of both worlds. I have sensitive eye's too (and wear glasses) so use the internal sunvisor most of the time. It also allows me to ride with the main visor up on sunny days to get airflow but still retain eye protection. Worth thinking about if you are looking at new helmets as well.

BladeTriple
10-01-12, 11:30 AM
I find the best compromise is to get a tinted pinlock insert, then you can take the insert out if it gets too dark for it , much easier than the faff of carrying a spare visor , they cost about £15 at GW's.

I'm almost sure you can go darker on those too as its not part of the visor itself, the law says something on the lines that your primary means of vison protection must let through 50% of the light , the pinlock isn't part of the visor its like wearing dark glasses. Mark Able or DD will probably shed better light on this.

Mikkie1986
10-01-12, 12:07 PM
Iv got one clear visor and the rest are heavily tinted. Never had a problem with police for the it. And yes there have been a few times they could have.. ::) :P. Its probably the last thing they would notice and if they ever did say anything... Its for safety to stop the sun or any glare. I have had Pin tinted strips before and they are a very good also.

:)

Mikkie1986
10-01-12, 12:07 PM
Iv got one clear visor and the rest are heavily tinted. Never had a problem with police for the it. And yes there have been a few times they could have.. ::) :P. Its probably the last thing they would notice and if they ever did say anything... Its for safety to stop the sun or any glare. I have had Pin tinted strips before and they are a very good also.

Scotty
10-01-12, 01:27 PM
I use a dark tinted visor most of the time in daylight, if there's the likelihood of darkness or rain before getting home I'll carry a clear one under my leathers, wrapped around my ribs (stick the visor in a sock to prevent it getting scratched or scuffed) - easy peasy, you can't feel it when riding along, just remember it's there when unzipping leathers so you don't drop it 8-)

Geordie Stu
10-01-12, 02:58 PM
I have both Dark & clear. However, started using Pinlock visor Clear with a dark insert.
http://www.racevisors.co.uk/?gclid=COLvzsvOxa0CFYuIfAod625rBg

wiltshire builders
10-01-12, 03:07 PM
What helmet is it for?
I always use the darkest tint Arai make. If i'm going on a long journey I take my oxford visor bag that fits around my waist or you can strap it to luggage.
Best thing is it came free with the tinted visor.

Hazel-nut
10-01-12, 03:08 PM
I'm glad someone else has posted this as I want a tinted visor as well! Might have a look at the pin lock after reading this! Do you have to buy a new clear visor as well as the pin lock bit or will it fit on any visor?

Geordie Stu
10-01-12, 03:10 PM
Hazel.
Your better off buying a new clear visor for your lid with the dark visor insert.
Also maybe worth buying a clear 1 also as they stops you misting up a little bit.

Hazel-nut
10-01-12, 03:14 PM
Hazel.
Your better off buying a new clear visor for your lid with the dark visor insert.
Also maybe worth buying a clear 1 also as they stops you misting up a little bit.

Thanks stu :) I need a trip to gw or fowlers to get the textiles dabz said he would get me for my birthday so will have a look at visors while I'm there

wiltshire builders
10-01-12, 03:16 PM
I'm glad someone else has posted this as I want a tinted visor as well! Might have a look at the pin lock after reading this! Do you have to buy a new clear visor as well as the pin lock bit or will it fit on any visor?
Will only fit a pin lock ready visor.

Geordie Stu
10-01-12, 03:16 PM
Try Phoenix in Trowbridge they do them. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Bonnielass
10-01-12, 05:04 PM
I have both for mine, bit of a faff having to carry clear/tinted with you but tinted visor so much better than sunglasses, I found you got a reflection off the glasses in bright sunlight.

As for the law, I think they turn a blind eye (sorry for the pun), to dark visors, especially in the day time, much better not to be blinded by bright sunlight! As for using them at night, you'd be pretty stupid to do that anyway!

Mitch9128
10-01-12, 05:49 PM
CBA to read the whole thread, but tinted visors are not illegal. It's up to the copper to use his discretion, i.e. if it's bright sunlight, then a tinted visor is fine, if it's dark, then you're a muppet anyway.

Swanny
10-01-12, 07:42 PM
I have the secondary drop down visor in my helmet, it's a great idea and next helmet I buy I will make sure it has the same :)

Toph
10-01-12, 08:29 PM
My new lid has a clear pinlock visor, on the strength of the advice in this thread I'll invest in a tinted pinlock insert... my old lid had a tinted visor, and I found it mich easier to ride in daylight. :)

Swanny
10-01-12, 08:35 PM
Good thing about having a pinlock fitted is that your visor will never mist up 8-)

Mitch9128
10-01-12, 08:58 PM
Secondary visors are ok, but i've heard of some nasty nose bridge injuries. Why not just carry a clear, in case you get caught out?

Guidelines given in the ACPO National Motorcycle Enforcement Strategy (2008).
These state that if tinted visors are used during daylight hours, then a police officer should only give the rider advice on their use. If used during the hours of darkness or in conditions of reduced visibility, an officer should check the tint of the visor using Tintman equipment where available. The guidelines recommend a pragmatic approach, and only in cases where there's an obvious danger should prosecution be considered.
So the general rules that the police follow are that visors should let through 50% of light transmission (dark and iridium visors don't), but if you're stopped during the day and you've less light transmission through your visor, you're likely to get advice from the officer. If you use a tinted visor when it's dark, you may face prosecution.

Mark_Able
10-01-12, 09:10 PM
I use a dark visor in the summer, and a tinted one this time of year. I find the dark visors are too dark for this time of year (and yes I know they're not kosher as regards the law). Having had advice from the horses mouth (PC Williamson), even he said he's not interested in someone wearing a dark visor, unless they're stupid enough to ride at night. The primary visor must conform to the law, but the inner visor (whether it be an insert or secondary visor) can be as dark as you want. The secondary visors in most helmets distort your vision, I find. Caberg, for example, used to give me a headache. The dark inserts are a good idea, but need to be squeaky clean when being fitted. So it's not something I want to be taking in and out all the time. My answer is to always carry a clear visor with me. It's not a faff to change over, only taking about 30 seconds on a Shoei. Visor bum bags, or stashing it under your seat, would seem to be the answer to me... :)

Wes
10-01-12, 09:44 PM
I use tinted visors most of the time, and have never had any trouble :) most are stamped daytime use only unless you are wearing a race visor, which usually are darker but will be marked- not shatterproof.

Jon_W
11-01-12, 08:52 AM
I had a legal tinted visor on a previous hat. Found it fine in all but the brightest of sunshine.

As with Wes, use road ones.

Roxy
11-01-12, 11:41 AM
Having had advice from the horses mouth (PC Williamson), even he said he's not interested in someone wearing a dark visor, unless they're stupid enough to ride at night.

PC Williamson is only interested in 5mm difference on numbers & letters on plates!! (not sure he speaks from horses mouth though, I thought it was from somewhere else when I had a 'chat' with him! ;D)

Regarding visors, I have Shoei with clear visor and dark inset for the pinlock..works a treat!

Roxy x

Jon_W
11-01-12, 11:49 AM
Having had advice from the horses mouth (PC Williamson), even he said he's not interested in someone wearing a dark visor, unless they're stupid enough to ride at night.

PC Williamson is only interested in 5mm difference on numbers & letters on plates!! (not sure he speaks from horses mouth though, I thought it was from somewhere else when I had a 'chat' with him! ;D)

Regarding visors, I have Shoei with clear visor and dark inset for the pinlock..works a treat!

Roxy x

Easy answer, full sized number plate and dark visor. Williamson problem solved!!!! ;D

Roxy
11-01-12, 12:16 PM

Roxy x

Easy answer, full sized number plate and dark visor. Williamson problem solved!!!! ;D

Nah... that's far too boring and sensible! (but yes it's is the easy answer! ;D)

Roxy x

Rabb
11-01-12, 10:39 PM
I have 2 visors.
One is clear but pinlock ready - with a clear insert for bad weather; the other visor I have is a legal light smoke ( also pinlock ready )

When it's sunny I use the smoke visor and a dark insert that I have.

I also have a light reactive insert however, I am mindful of how fast it changes it's tint when travelling in variable light conditions.

These are the options that I have.....

Vee4 Gaz
13-01-12, 12:09 AM
Alex, I ride with a dark visor most of the time. The best option in my eyes (sorry) nothing worse than bright sunsine and glare. I have a proper visor bag which hangs around my waist (long straps lol) with a clear 1 in for after dark or bad weather.

Just got a new lid with pinlock but not sure about that yet. The website below give away visor bags with new visors (Arai anyway)

http://www.racevisors.co.uk/

So just a quick thought.... Why do most of the bike shops (Fowlers stand up) refuse to sell dark visors when in fact they are not illegal at all (only at night) but will sell a race pipe????

Dave_R1
13-01-12, 04:08 PM
As already mentioned, technically they're illegal if they are too dark, but I've always ridden with one in bright sunlight and carry a clear one around with me. Youre unlikely to get too much stick from Traffic for it (and most non-traffic won't even notice) but it is down to the officers discretion at the time, guidance or otherwise they can still stick you on if they wish. I've never known a traffic officer who would stick someone on for wearing one during daylight hours though. All IMHO only of course