PDA

View Full Version : Garage Theft

Bigfish
23-01-12, 03:44 PM
Hi All, asking you all to be extra careful with your garage security. Had mine broken into last week, luckily my bike was not in it at the time. The bar***ds still damaged the door and took some tools, spares and a paddock stand and some other items.
Not sure if it was just a planned theft, i.e they have been watching me coming and going on the bike or just opportunists?
The police said that this type of crime is on the increase, sign of the times and mainly because garages are generally easier to get into.
I have now increased the security by adding a GSM remote alarm to my house and garage, works off a motion sensor that calls or sends a text to your mobile phone. Too late to stop this break-in, but hopefully will stop future git's trying the same thing when my bike is there!
Have a look at your own security, I thought mine was ok!!
Alan >:(

Jon_W
23-01-12, 03:47 PM
Not good. theiving scum!!! >:(

Thanks for the warning though. Will take a look at my garage.

Squashed_Fly
23-01-12, 05:52 PM
I don't know what people think about going for lots of security. Personally, I just lock the garage door, park in front of it and have the steering lock/alarm on.

I've heard so many stories of theives going to any lengths, that my opinion is - if they want it, no matter what you have, they will take it. You can spend lots on making it harder, but they just come back more prepared. So I just do the basics and I'm insured against any loss. I don't think you can do much more than that. Our neighbours garage was broken into - they got past the steel floor bolt thing with some kind of heat cutter (plasma) as they knew it was full of snap on tools.

Nico_babe
23-01-12, 05:55 PM
Didnt they break into your garage too Squashed Fly?>?

Swanny
23-01-12, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the warning Alan.
A mate of mine has his Ford RS2000 stolen many years ago, they had to move locked alarmed 2 cars, break into his garage then move another locked alarmed car to get at the RS. If they really want something they will get it.
You can only hope that you catch them in the process

Splash
23-01-12, 06:12 PM
This is Crazy!

I've just reversed the car in front on our Garage (my dad was like: that's just extra hassle... I said okay I won't do it as long as you buy me a new one if they steal it... *Silence*)

I leave my window open on the catch now... already had one thieving bugger try to nick my old scooter, I sleepy lightly so Ireckon if it was open I would of heard it!! :-/

Squashed_Fly
23-01-12, 06:45 PM
Didnt they break into your garage too Squashed Fly?>?

They did. They didn't take the bike though as it was up on stands, with parts everywhere!

Just a minimoto and a load of tools :(

Trev
23-01-12, 09:41 PM
Sorry to hear that Big Fish, like others here I've only got basic security - locked doors, alarm, bikes chained. Do have the benefit of wife working from home so about most days and all 3 of my kids living at home and at the ages of coming and going at all hours and plenty of their mates around, not sure if I'll quite so secure in a few years time.
In 25 years never had a break-in of any kind so probably well overdue one, if and when it happens I hope I'm around to use 'self defence' on the scum, it's surprising how big a tyre lever I have for my push bike tyres >:(

RedSoul
24-01-12, 12:21 PM
A work collegue friend of mine had his motorbike stolen from his property only last week.
Have decided to up my security and am having a 6ft high double gate built across the side entrance of my house and have also ordered another 2m heavy duty chain.

igbell
24-01-12, 04:52 PM
My mate was called by the police at silly o'clock in the morning to say that his bike was down in London and that they need him to come and get it, he went into the garage and it was still in the garage, so they had cloned his bike and the police had chased them down.

spanner347
24-01-12, 07:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your theft. A friend of mine had some tools nicked from his garage, and found them on e-bay for sale some time shortly afterwards. He called the police who went with him after he had asked to see them, and proved that they were his tools. He was given them back but not sure as to what happened to the person who was selling them.