PDA

View Full Version : SV 650

Toph
25-01-12, 07:05 PM
I'm watching a 2001 SV650 on fleabay, looks nice, any ex or present SV owners got any advice as to what to look for, Are they any good?
I need a bike that's reliable as I use it for daily commuting, + it's got to be fun to ride on WB rideouts.

squirrel_hunter
25-01-12, 07:36 PM
The SV650 is a very good bike for what you want.

Apart from the usual things to look for as its a 2001 model budget for a new reg/ rec and a battery. Its the weak point of the bike and on a 1st gen bike I found that the reg/ rec lasts for about 20k miles, and based on its age the battery might need looking at.

BB
25-01-12, 07:58 PM
Ghost had one & loved it to bits. Only got rid 'cos he wanted the triple. We were only talking about it a couple of days ago and he was raving on about how much fun it was and how it would poodle along or you could loon about. The choice was yours. :)

If you want to have a chat pm me and I'll get him to give you a call :)

BB

Gerry
25-01-12, 08:46 PM
Loved my SV Chris, got much more looks that the Ar6e and sounded great.
It was only having a fair number of people whizz by me at ride-outs ( and a go on a CBR600RR at Silverstone) that I decided I needed someting a bit quicker off the mark.

I'd have a go on one before you commit, at 67 BHP you may be a little disappointed in it's performance after the CBR.
Other than that, loved it.

Very good forum too !

G

Last Train
25-01-12, 09:09 PM
Always fancied an SV,

:)

whizz
25-01-12, 11:13 PM
Great little bike mate ...if you doubt what it can do just ask Toby...lol... ;D go for as new model as you can afford ..2nd generation model is so much better....you wouldnt be dissapointed ....

Bonnielass
26-01-12, 09:13 AM
I loved mine, pity I dropped it so many times, just a little bit too high for me! Nice fun bike!

Jon_W
26-01-12, 09:25 AM
Great Bikes.

Things to check other than the usual

Front forks: leaks + pitting
Paint: Condition + Corrosion on engine
Rear Shock: Condition
Rear suspension likage: Check for slop on the bearings
Abuse: Wheelies, crashes etc.
Exhaust: Corrosion on lower sections, especially under rear.
Is it correct: There are a few 650N's made out of crashed 650s's. Check the frame plate and for odd wiring ad brackets

Great bike the Curvy Sv. Have has my 02 since new. You'll not be dissapointed compared to your CBR, it will be much easier to ride and quicker off the mark. The only real fault that I've noticed is the cheap build of them. The paint is bad, sepecially on the engine and front forks. Any salt peels it off. The forks lack and stone sheilds, so are prone to stone chips. The chrome on mine hasn't gone, but I have heard of it. The Rear shock is a cheap suzuki one, just check it is still ok. The rear shock linkage can need new bearings, try and check for play in it. The o/e exhaust is part stainless and part plated steel. The front stainless section corrodes and looks unsightly, the rear curly bit where the two pipes meet is the most suseptable to holing. This is rare, but worth looking at. Also bear in mind these bikes are ofthe a first big bike and can see some abuse. Check for signs of thrashing, wheelies and crashes. another favorite is to crash a faired 650s and then to save money convert it to a naked 650n. The farmes are different, they have different geometry and will have odd lugs and brackets on them from the fairing. Look in the frame and it will tell you if it is a 650s or a 650n. Obviosly this only applies to the non-faired bike.

Other than that, the engine is bomb proof if a little rattly at times, the brakes are good, and the handling is excellent. If pushed they do like to go a bit fron end happy but it is a quirk of an excellent all round motorcycle. Carrying pillion is a doddle and the seat is generous to say the least. Then there is the bellow of the engine.....

In my 9 (nearly 10) years of ownership, I've only had a battery and an oil pressure switch fail. Keep it serviced and it will last for years. I'm hooked on them.

Gerry
26-01-12, 10:01 AM
Great little bike mate ...if you doubt what it can do just ask Toby...lol... ;D go for as new model as you can afford ..2nd generation model is so much better....you wouldnt be dissapointed ....

Forgot about Toby's !!!

Ignore what I said about performance Chris, it was a load of rubbish ;) Toby's just flew (right by me on mine, many times) ;D

I thought (but have never ridden) that the CBR was a quick little bike, quicker than the SV, but I'll stand corrected by those with lots more experinece than me [smiley=thumbup.gif]

If you get one I'll be very jealous of your great sound (especially after a bafflectomy) ;)

G

Jon_W
26-01-12, 10:05 AM
Hehe... mine is on it's third exhaust can.... it destroyed the first two within three years!!! Speaking to Scorpion, they had to re-enforse the carbon can for the sv because the originals cracked!!! That's some noise!!!! ;D

Toph
26-01-12, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the excellent advice... I'll have to test ride one... sounds like the bike of choice for my needs! :)
Right.... let's get looking! :)

squirrel_hunter
26-01-12, 07:55 PM
another favorite is to crash a faired 650s and then to save money convert it to a naked 650n. The farmes are different, they have different geometry and will have odd lugs and brackets on them from the fairing. Look in the frame and it will tell you if it is a 650s or a 650n. Obviosly this only applies to the non-faired bike.

The S (faired) and N (unfaired) model frames are identical, and have identical geometry.

With the exception of slightly different gearing (final drive) giving the S a slightly higher topend the differences are purely cosmetic.

The N is far rarer and has specific bar's, front master cylinder, headlight, loom, and radiator off the top of my head. Most naked SV's I've seen are former S models that have been converted for various reasons.

Scotty
26-01-12, 09:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the excellent advice... I'll have to test ride one... sounds like the bike of choice for my needs! :)
Last time I was in Mikkie's shop he had a few SVs Chris, why not try there? Not sure whether he'd give you more than a tenner for Jordan but it's worth a look... ;)

Gerry
26-01-12, 09:57 PM
Good to see the above mentioned Tobias today for a quick cuppa - and on the SV too, it's looking good mate (and sounds even better) ;)

G

Toph
26-01-12, 11:22 PM
Last time I was in Mikkie's shop he had a few SVs Chris, why not try there? Not sure whether he'd give you more than a tenner for Jordan but it's worth a look... ;)
A tenner?? ;D ;D ;D that's very generous Si!! ;D
I'm going down to see Mikkie on Saturday afternoon, Hope he has a SV I can try!

Jon_W
27-01-12, 08:58 AM
You can try mine as soon as I can dig it out!!!! :D

Tobias5571
29-01-12, 04:56 PM
Good to see the above mentioned Tobias today for a quick cuppa - and on the SV too, it's looking good mate (and sounds even better) ;)

G Thanks alot Gerry i love it too, but its many great thanks to Whizz as he also put a serious amout of effort in to this! And i know you have already baught the thundercat but as Whizz said they definitly do have a serious amount of capability. The power deliverance is really unlike anyhting else, you never have to change gear if you please, I have ridden in all the way from Devises to trowbridge in 6th without changing gear and i didnt even think about it. I suggest if you ever get a chance to ride one give it a go...... i garentee you will get off with a smile!!! (your welcome to have a go on mine when you please)