PDA

View Full Version : Lidle bike gear

Nomad
18-02-12, 02:29 PM
Just a heads-up, the annual Lidl bike gear season is about to start. All sorts of stuff available from Thursday 23rd...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=28923

I can recommend the waterproof gloves I have a couple of pairs and they have not let me down in all weather (bit warm for sunny dry days but superb for a warm or cold wet day)

Cheap as chips!

Swanny
18-02-12, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up 8-)

SupeRDel
18-02-12, 05:07 PM
A couple of years ago those tankbags were just a fiver - that was a real bargain.

wiltshire builders
20-02-12, 12:18 PM
Has anyone found out what motorcycle socks are yet?

Snowy
20-02-12, 12:40 PM
One has "Gear Shift" and the other has "Rear Brake" printed on them to help with those awkward moments...... ;)

No use if you're on Brit or Euro classic bikes tho ;D

Kevinb
20-02-12, 01:10 PM
Just had a look not really a lot on offer. I think the only thing that would fit me is the ruck sack
I thought being a German company they would do larger sizes for the men to fit their boiled sausages in and the women their hairy armpits ;D

I did buy a disc lock a couple of years back a total waste of money. You would be better off sticking a picture of an Abus lock to the front disc

Best thing we bought were the waterproof maps, bought years a go and still used now

Swanny
20-02-12, 07:01 PM
I'm going to buy one of these.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/static_content/lidl_uk/images/UK/UK_69419_01_b.jpg

Easier than going to the gym :)

Last Train
20-02-12, 07:09 PM
I'm gonna go fetchy me one a them ther rucky sack doofer jobbies....

I melted through a fair chunk of one the straps on mine ::), on my exhaust header ::), on the way back from, I think, the IOW last year.

:-[

Geordie Stu
20-02-12, 07:17 PM
I'll be popping in to local Lidl. Nice 1 [smiley=thumbup.gif]

redken1
20-02-12, 07:29 PM
A small tip. Last time Lidl had the bike kit I bought a kidney belt for a fiver I think. I suffer from lower back ache and when I know I am faced with alot of lifting at work I wear the belt, which offers great support. Really makes a difference. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ade
20-02-12, 11:57 PM
Probably pop over to Lidl Melksham early Thursday to have a look.... gloves and kidney protector look good value at less than £20 for buying both.

Anyone want anything purchased, but can't get there on Thurs when most stock will be there ? PM me if you do. ... I can buy it for you and you can give me the money another time.... pref when I deliver or you collect.

Swanny
21-02-12, 12:53 AM
Apparently they are woven from magic pixie wool and give you an extra 5 BHP ;)

Jon_W
21-02-12, 08:03 AM
Will be off to Lidl on Friday.... got a rucksack there last time, has been great!!!

Kevinb
21-02-12, 01:32 PM
Apparently they are woven from magic pixie wool and give you an extra 5 BHP ;)

They also make you invisable to car drivers so be careful

Is bhp boot hosiery power

DanS
21-02-12, 01:45 PM
I'm looking at the tank bag - seems pretty cheap compared to what I've seen elsewhere.

Don't necessary have a need for it just yet, but for £20 it seems a good buy.

Dabz
21-02-12, 03:29 PM
can't go wrong at that price really - the luggage is always useful

Swanny
23-02-12, 10:25 AM
I had a look this morning but didn't buy anything
My mate bought waterproofs and bike cover

RedSoul
23-02-12, 10:35 AM
Just been over to lidl,s and purchased 2 pairs of very comfy looking socks and their flip up helmet.Was going to buy a tinted visor off ebay for my original helmet at £39.99 but actually bought a helmet for same price lol with tinted visor,spare visor and spare cheek pads.Even more surprising is its quite light weight for a "flip" and quality seems good.

Nelly
23-02-12, 06:03 PM
I bought some of that body gear and some socks today :)

Ade
23-02-12, 06:29 PM
I bought one of those vest thingys ... and wore it this afternoon on my ride... very comfortable. Bought pr of gloves and kidney belt too which seemed good value at £16 and £5 respectively.

Swanny
23-02-12, 07:04 PM
I looked at the kidney belt. What are they for??

redken1
23-02-12, 07:07 PM
I looked at the kidney belt. What are they for??

Protection, support and keep the chill from the kidneys. Ive got one Swanny.

Swanny
23-02-12, 08:26 PM
Thanks I think I'll get one :)

phil.k4343
23-02-12, 08:38 PM
ya i bought one of the flip up helmets from lidi good value for money,the best price they would do at shepton mallet last weekend was £59 squid.

dell_boy
23-02-12, 08:42 PM
i want some gloves!

Rabb
23-02-12, 08:53 PM
I want to buy a helmet for my better half - what's the quality / fit like?

Crosbie
24-02-12, 08:49 AM

Thats what i did last night. Helmet seems to fit reasonably well for £40. There is a fair amount of noise but then i have never used a flip helmet so may be the norm. Comes with a standard and winter collar and spare visor which is handy. All bits are removable and thus washable! Not much more you could want for £40. (not suitable for track days obviously) If your gonna get one get there quick as they are moving pretty dam fast.

The tank bag is also a bargain. Versatile, seems well put together and works supprisingly lol. :D

wiltshire builders
24-02-12, 09:16 AM
i want some gloves!
I tried a pair on last night and they seem really good. Got me one of them thar thermal tops.....after going to Aldi by mistake. Why do I always get them mixed up?

Nikki
24-02-12, 11:43 AM

Probably best to take a look - I had a quick look yesterday when I was there and my opinion I'd go for a cheap HJC instead if I was after a cheap helmet. I know flip-ups are heavy but I thought they really were heavy. Each to there own of course :)

Dabz
24-02-12, 12:01 PM
Not sure I'd trust a lidl cheap helmet...

Snowy
24-02-12, 12:27 PM

Thats what i did last night. Helmet seems to fit reasonably well for £40. There is a fair amount of noise but then i have never used a flip helmet so may be the norm. Comes with a standard and winter collar and spare visor which is handy. All bits are removable and thus washable! Not much more you could want for £40. (not suitable for track days obviously) If your gonna get one get there quick as they are moving pretty dam fast.

The tank bag is also a bargain. Versatile, seems well put together and works supprisingly lol. :D

Personally I wouldn't support the view that its OK to have a helmet designed to lower specs/impact strength for use on the road but that the same helmet would not be OK for use on the track. Speeds may be different but there's a whole load more stationary objects and other road users travelling in the opposite direction to hit which increases the risk of a heavy impact.

Dabz
24-02-12, 12:31 PM
far safer to come off on track than it is on the road!

Crosbie
24-02-12, 01:02 PM

Personally I wouldn't support the view that its OK to have a helmet designed to lower specs/impact strength for use on the road but that the same helmet would not be OK for use on the track. Speeds may be different but there's a whole load more stationary objects and other road users travelling in the opposite direction to hit which increases the risk of a heavy impact.

There may be more stationary objects to hit on a road than a track but lawfully you aren’t doing more that 70mph on a road compared to 120,130,140 etc on a track. I would hazard a guess that this is why there are helmets for track use and not. At the end of the day a helmet designed not for track use will protect you in an accident as best it can which will have be through the rigors of testing for road use/collisions.

On that basis there is nothing wrong with the helmet, it just isn’t up to the mark that a helmet suitable for track use is but then if you are riding within the law that shouldn’t be an issue! :o

Ps. having a highspeed crash I personally would be more concerned of the damage caused to my body’s vital organs (minus my brain) as apparently a high proportion of serious motorcycle accident victims die not from brain damage but from other failing vital organs that effectively turn to mush (this comes from my boss's daughter who is a brain surgeon!) quite literally. Apparently we bikers are great for neuro research as those that tend to be fatalities are young so no onset of dimensia etc and have the head intact. :-/ Bit morbid I know, sorry.

Snowy
24-02-12, 01:29 PM

There may be more stationary objects to hit on a road than a track but lawfully you aren’t doing more that 70mph on a road compared to 120,130,140 etc on a track. I would hazard a guess that this is why there are helmets for track use and not. At the end of the day a helmet designed not for track use will protect you in an accident as best it can which will have be through the rigors of testing for road use/collisions.

On that basis there is nothing wrong with the helmet, it just isn’t up to the mark that a helmet suitable for track use is but then if you are riding within the law that shouldn’t be an issue! :o

Ps. having a highspeed crash I personally would be more concerned of the damage caused to my body’s vital organs (minus my brain) as apparently a high proportion of serious motorcycle accident victims die not from brain damage but from other failing vital organs that effectively turn to mush (this comes from my boss's daughter who is a brain surgeon!) quite literally. Apparently we bikers are great for neuro research as those that tend to be fatalities are young so no onset of dimensia etc and have the head intact. :-/ Bit morbid I know, sorry.

IMHO: I would rather come off at 140mph and slide than come off at 70mph and hit an oncoming car also doing 70mph. Or hit a tree at 70mph. Maybe your bosses daughters evidence is due to the use of highly spec'd helmets being bought for road use hence the protection for the head? That seems to support the argument that higher spec'd helmets are bought for road use. I bet there's a higher proportion of Arai's, Schuberths, AGV's being used on the road - all high quality helmets.

At the end of the day though the debate is meaningless as we all make a personal choice with buying helmets and other equipment based upon our own views. I just wouldn't put my daughters head inside a £40 helmet from Lidl's and ride down the road at the legal limit. That just my opinion.

Swanny
24-02-12, 01:32 PM
Apparently we bikers are great for neuro research as those that tend to be fatalities are young so no onset of dimensia etc and have the head intact. :-/ Bit morbid I know, sorry.
Good to know I'll keep my boyish good looks if I die at the side of the road ;D :D

Sharik
24-02-12, 03:07 PM
I would rather come off at 140mph and slide than come off at 70mph and hit an oncoming car also doing 70mph

God forbid that it would ever happen but the result is exactly the same; a 140mph impact speed.

Gerry
24-02-12, 03:21 PM
I would rather come off at 140mph and slide than come off at 70mph and hit an oncoming car also doing 70mph

God forbid that it would ever happen but the result is exactly the same; a 140mph impact speed.

Dear Sharik,
I feel obliged to disagree with your disagreement, look carefully at the two scenarios:

1, Racetrack: 140MPH slide over nice soft grass and end up laying in a sweet smelling patch of daisy’s.

2, Road: 70 MPH impact into oncoming car driven by very old person who reverses over you twice in their confusion.

No contest ;D

G

Last Train
24-02-12, 03:22 PM
Not too impressed with the ruck sacks :-?

So best it was left in the shop :)

Loads of stuff still there.

Snowy
24-02-12, 03:36 PM

Err no, its not the same at all. The important word is "impact". Sliding down the road (or racetrack) dissapates energy over a relatively long period of time- there's no sudden "impact". Colliding with a stationary or moving object results in a huge impact and your bones and vital organs then have to dissapate all that energy. Guess the difference in the result?

Scotty
24-02-12, 03:40 PM
Does anyone remember the biking proverb "if you've got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet" I agree with Snowy, no way would I put my head, nor that of anyone important to me in a £40 helmet.

Helmets aren't specifically designed for racing as opposed to road use, but in this instance there isn't an element of choice - flip front lids aren't allowed on tracks.

Swanny
24-02-12, 04:14 PM
Just popped along to Trogtown Lidl to pick up a kidney belt but only pie eater sizes left :)
Not much of anything left really

wiltshire builders
24-02-12, 04:16 PM
Just popped along to Trogtown Lidl to pick up a kidney belt but only pie eater sizes left :)
Not much of anything left really
Bet they've got loads of the boots left. They look shiiiiite!

Swanny
24-02-12, 04:47 PM
Yea the only reason they could be called motorcycle boots is that they look like something someone with a Harley might wear :-/

RedSoul
24-02-12, 08:39 PM
I just bought one of these lidl cheap helmets lol and they undergo the same tests as every other helmet on the market b4 allowed to be sold.These helmets actually have a better safety rating than some arai helmets and beats the £500.00 scuberth c3 flip up helmet in some tests lol.Do your research and dont just think because its expensive its safe or cheap and unsafe.

Rabb
24-02-12, 10:06 PM
I just bought one of these lidl cheap helmets lol and they undergo the same tests as every other helmet on the market b4 allowed to be sold.These helmets actually have a better safety rating than some arai helmets and beats the £500.00 scuberth c3 flip up helmet in some tests lol.Do your research and dont just think because its expensive its safe or cheap and unsafe.

They only had XL's left - wifes head (medium / 56) so no good.
I had already checked the safety side of this helmet and you're quite right.
Safety tests show now alegiance to brand names - they are recognised European or international standards to prove resistance, strength & endurance capabilities.

Scotty
24-02-12, 10:38 PM
They're your heads guys, you put them in whatever you want, it's a free country.

Question - If a £40 flip-front lid from Lidl is as safe as an Arai, why aren't they permitted on track? :-? :-? :-?

Nikki
24-02-12, 10:39 PM

I guess you mean the Sharp rating?

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Nikki
24-02-12, 10:43 PM
Interesting reading - http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/get-right-fit

Rabb
24-02-12, 10:49 PM
I bought some of the body thermal gear - very cumfy indeed
(better than merino by the way)
I will buy a helmet for my better half elsewhere - fit was poor for her head shape.

redken1
24-02-12, 10:52 PM
If higher safety spec is down to cost perhaps someone can explain how some of the £350-£400 helmets have only 2 and 3 star ratings? :-/

Nothing to do with clever marketing of a brand name then?

RedSoul
24-02-12, 10:55 PM
They're your heads guys, you put them in whatever you want, it's a free country.

Question - If a £40 flip-front lid from Lidl is as safe as an Arai, why aren't they permitted on track? :-? :-? :-?

Its not a £40.00 helmet Scotty....its a rebadged helmet costing alot more sold at a loss by Lidl,s(a very common marketing strategy by supermarkets lol).As for safety,its as safe as any other flip up helmet on the market and in the sharp test has beaten a few of your precious arai,s......as for our heads and a free country...tell me something i dont know lol

Snowy
24-02-12, 10:56 PM
I did buy a great vacume cleaner there though for less than £40 which will do for the garage plus it has reverse gear so it blows as well - will use it as a dryer on the bikes so they don't get put to bed all damp and cold ;D

Julie_S
24-02-12, 11:01 PM
I can think of one 675 Daytona riding man who could do with the cuban heeled boots as their low triumph gel seat isn't quite low enough......

You can get some good stuff in LIDL, just need to be a little discerning. Their gel inserts for shoes are generally very good, in fact better than what Alpinestars deemed good enough for my boots (comfier to walk in and cut down on the vibration) , now have a set in my dog walking boots, and my weekend walking boots too. Well worth £2.99 or whatever

Red Zed 1
24-02-12, 11:05 PM
had a look at some of the gear on show..wasn;t very impressed with any of it(personal opinion),,helmet felt cheap/poor fit..boots were never going to fit, gloves seemed to be summer use only,cant comment on the thermal wear as never used/needed it..
however Aldi has a bike gear event from the 1st of march so will have a look to see if there is anything better there..need a new pair of winter gloves..

wiltshire builders
24-02-12, 11:28 PM
I bought some of the body thermal gear - very cumfy indeed
(better than merino by the way)
I will buy a helmet for my better half elsewhere - fit was poor for her head shape.
Ah, hang on. Merino is a different kettle of fish.
I have a lot of these man made fibre thermals for snowboarding and mountain biking and you are right the fit is amazing but merino beats them hands down due to the fact that it stays warm when wet and never smells and being a sweaty b*stard, it comes in real handy.

Swanny
25-02-12, 01:19 AM
I guess you mean the Sharp rating?

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

I like the look on the Nexx XR1R Carbon
http://formotorbikes.com/nexx-xr1r-carbon-white.html
Not listed at sharp
Not that I can afford it anyway :P