PDA

View Full Version : New tyres for GSX R 600 K4

MaDMaX68
24-02-12, 05:07 PM
Hey guys been a while since I bought new tyres and replacing mine front and back any ideas on decent makes

I guessing the likes of Avon are still good ?

After something sticky but hard wearing as will do some motorway miles as well :)

wiltshire builders
24-02-12, 06:59 PM
After something sticky but hard wearing as will do some motorway miles as well :)
Get a duel compound. Most sportsbike mags do a pretty good tyre review section at the back. I prefer mine sticky all over so can't really help.

Scotty
24-02-12, 07:22 PM
To be honest you don't need "sticky" on the road, they'll just square off & wear out too quickly. When a number of WBs did the Ron Haslam race school last May the CBR600RRs that they used were all fitted with Bridgestone BT23s I think, which are more touring than outright sports biased, and nobody complained about any lack of grip around the Silverstone South Circuit.
You could check something like Bike mag which has a big table of tyre choices from all the manufacturers with their verdict on each one. They rate the BT23 very highly. I've used Dunlop Roadsmarts for the last couple of years and can't really fault them.
Ultimately it's your choice, we can only offer opinions.

Mark_Able
24-02-12, 08:40 PM
I'm currently using Avon Storm Ultra II's, and I'm impressed with the overall grip, feedback, and longevity. But to honest, if it's black and round, and got plenty of tread, I'm a happy bunny... :)

bobf279
24-02-12, 08:52 PM
+1 on the avon storm ultras

Ade
25-02-12, 08:21 AM
Avon Storm Ultra II's on my bike at last two tyre changes.
Getting about 9k miles out of rear. Happy with grip levels wet and dry conditions. Also they are c. £30 cheaper than tyres such as Roadsmart II's and Pilot Road 3's.

Steve Lynham (Swindon Tel 01793 820630) good place to go.

MaDMaX68
25-02-12, 02:19 PM
Hey guys
Thanks for the feedback, MandP are doing Avon storms for £177 a pair but they not the ultras think they come out at around £200 but waiting for a price on them fitted, but think avons are for me !

Thanks for all the input dudes :)

Nikki
25-02-12, 02:45 PM
Hey guys
Thanks for the feedback, MandP are doing Avon storms for £177 a pair but they not the ultras think they come out at around £200 but waiting for a price on them fitted, but think avons are for me !

If you want professional advice and great service Carson Tyres in Melksham are brilliant - they are really nice there and look after your bike well too.

I bought some PR3's on their advice for my Triumph ST and they are fantastic tyres.

Dont know if it bothers you but sometimes cheap tyres are old stock (you can check the manufacture date on the side wall its a 4 digit number first two are the week number last two are the year)

MaDMaX68
25-02-12, 04:56 PM
Hey guys

If you want professional advice and great service Carson Tyres in Melksham are brilliant - they are really nice there and look after your bike well too.

I bought some PR3's on their advice for my Triumph ST and they are fantastic tyres.

Dont know if it bothers you but sometimes cheap tyres are old stock (you can check the manufacture date on the side wall its a 4 digit number first two are the week number last two are the year)

Thanks for the advice , Keith goldsmith @ master.tec
(recommended from another thread on here) has got my bike att in for a service etc and is getting a price for tyres fitted on Monday but If he cannot sort something out I'll certainly seek out Carson tyres cheers :)

Jon_W
27-02-12, 09:46 AM
Bridgestone 021's. Used them and the 020's for years. Great all rounders.

Getting a new rear this week!

MaDMaX68
28-02-12, 10:21 AM
hey guys thanks for all the advice

Keith price matched the avons i seen on MandP

so hopefully they are being fitted today once delivered