PDA

View Full Version : Reg plate legality

Vee4 Gaz
27-02-12, 03:10 PM
After being stopped for speeding yesterday (fair cop), the PC starting pulling my number plate apart for not having a "BSAU" mark displayed? and he started saying the number "5" on my plate was wrong (sloping line should be vertical line) I have looked on the internet and can not find anywhere saying the BS mark has to be displayed, The plate needs to conform to the standard so if it does what's the problem? I'm sure the original plate from George Whites never had a BS mark on it. My bike is a "T" reg so 1999 year.

Also checking the legal font 5 looks like it's sloping?? http://www.numberplateclassifieds.co.uk/number_plates/number_plate_spacing.php

Has anyone else been made aware of this by the cops or MOT station and if not does it mean the copper was wrong?

Gaz

Jon_W
27-02-12, 03:41 PM
Registration plates are governed by BS AU 145d. The specified font is "Charles Wright 2001"

As shown here:

http://www.charles-wright.com/more.html

You should have a slope on the 5.

Nelly
27-02-12, 04:29 PM
It would seem the "approved font" has a sloping leading edge so i would suggest he may have indeed been mistaken.

supermancss
27-02-12, 04:35 PM
Q is not routinely used in number plates. So I would suspect that Picture you see may not be 100% correct?

goz1960
27-02-12, 04:39 PM
Best not to argue in my experience did he give yo a fixed penalty or just a warning?.

Moo
27-02-12, 05:14 PM
After being stopped for speeding yesterday (fair cop), the PC starting pulling my number plate apart for not having a "BSAU" mark displayed? and he started saying the number "5" on my plate was wrong (sloping line should be vertical line) I have looked on the internet and can not find anywhere saying the BS mark has to be displayed, The plate needs to conform to the standard so if it does what's the problem? I'm sure the original plate from George Whites never had a BS mark on it. My bike is a "T" reg so 1999 year.

Also checking the legal font 5 looks like it's sloping?? http://www.numberplateclassifieds.co.uk/number_plates/number_plate_spacing.php

Has anyone else been made aware of this by the cops or MOT station and if not does it mean the copper was wrong?

Gaz

PC Williamson by any chance?

Robf
27-02-12, 07:34 PM
PC Williamson by any chance?

Was just about to suggest the same thing.

Geordie Stu
27-02-12, 08:16 PM
He's on a hatrick of WBer's. That's if it was Police Contstable Williamson.....! ::)

Dabz
27-02-12, 08:24 PM
And he'll continue targeting WBers if the forums are full of moaning about him. He reads this...

Vee4 Gaz
27-02-12, 09:06 PM
No it was not PC Williamson.

Jon_W
28-02-12, 08:59 AM
Looked at the pics of my bikes. Both have the original plates and both have sloping 5's.

Geordie Stu
28-02-12, 10:25 AM
And he'll continue targeting WBers if the forums are full of moaning about him. He reads this...
I think they all do, not just PC Williamson. He seems to have a bit of a reputation for stopping bikers ::)

Thorkill_The_Tall
28-02-12, 11:23 PM
The regulations which specify that a numberplate must have the supplier's details printed at the bottom of the plate applies to vehicles registered on or after September 2001, in other words anything with a 51 prefix onwards.
Vehicles registered before September 2001 do not need this information, although any numberplate manufactured post Sept.01 must comply with the newer regs.
But how are they going to prove you don't have several copies of brand new plates that were made back in 1999?
In other words, pre-9/01 bikes shouldn't be expected to comply with regs. brought in after they were first registered.

taliesin
29-02-12, 10:26 AM
just opened up an mot station for bikes,there aint nowt wrong with ur plate bout the things ur saying

Jon_W
29-02-12, 11:44 AM
The regulations which specify that a numberplate must have the supplier's details printed at the bottom of the plate applies to vehicles registered on or after September 2001, in other words anything with a 51 prefix onwards.
Vehicles registered before September 2001 do not need this information, although any numberplate manufactured post Sept.01 must comply with the newer regs.
But how are they going to prove you don't have several copies of brand new plates that were made back in 1999?
In other words, pre-9/01 bikes shouldn't be expected to comply with regs. brought in after they were first registered.

Only thing to add is that the spacing, letter height and letter type on pre 2001 plates are regulated. The font must be similar to the Charles wright font and sans serif.