PDA

View Full Version : Used bike buying

wiltshire builders
24-02-12, 05:12 PM
Buying a used bike can be baffling. Saw on another thread that some people could use some tips.

1. Imaculate plastics: Could be re-sprayed or an ex-racer with the original fairings put back on. Check around for crash damage. Frame, forks or ground out pegs or bar weights. If the plastics are really clean but the rear shock and header pipes are caked in crap, be wary.

2. Really low mileage: Could be clocked. Check all paperwork for mileage history. Seller doesn't have it? Walk away. Might have be crashed and sat in bits for the last year or 2. Check for damage. Owner may have bought it then got bored. Check for servicing and TLC. Modern bikes go off the boil fast if not looked after.

3. Really high mileage/old age: Some bikes will easily do 100,000 miles and not miss a beat but nothing lasts forever. It might seem like a bargain but how much would a new shock, fork seals or engine re-build cost? Massive history is a must.

4. The seller: Go with your gut feeling. What's their home like? A sh*t hole? If they can't look after themselves they're not going to care for a bike (this doesn't apply to people who own classic british bikes for some reason) A mantlepiece full of trophies/track day pics. It could've had a hard life. Ask them as many questions as you can about the bike. Ask them if it's been crashed. I had a guy tell me his CBR rr he'd had from new hadn't. I then pointed out the damaged bar end and footpeg. He then accused his wife of knocking it over. What else was he lying about?

5. Modifications: Mods are fine but do they have the originals? If not why not? Maybe they replaced the damaged originals with fancy aftermarket bling.

6. Paperwork: Fsh is ideal, next best is a tonne of reciepts all old M.O.T.s followed by some paperwork. If they've got nothing, walk away.

7. Do your research: What problems are these bikes prone to? Was there a product recall? Has it been done? Make sure you can afford to run/insure it

8. Don't just think about buying, think about when you come to sell it too. You don't want to be stuck with a bike you can't shift because it's got no service history.
Take a friend who will give you an honest opinion and is savy with bikes.

There are some great bikes out there, you just need to take your time looking
I spent 8 months finding my last bike and drove up to Chester to get it. It was worth every minute.

Mark_Able
24-02-12, 08:37 PM
Good tips those. I'd like to add, original fairings are plastic not fibreglass. So they are nearly as smooth on the inside as they are on the outside. If you see fibreglass matting on the inside of the fairing, it's a cheap trackday/racing replacement. Probably means the original plastic ones have been destroyed in a crash. :(

SupeRDel
25-02-12, 04:47 PM
FSH book does not mean much on its own. You need to see all the receipts that go with the stamps

Mitch9128
26-02-12, 09:59 AM
I'm going to that there Lahndun to pick up a Fireplace today, i've got a bag full of cash and in my excitement i bet i don't even notice what colour it is :)

Jon_W
27-02-12, 09:49 AM
Good tips.

Go with your feel. Use your eyes and ears... if somthing isn't right, walk away.

Roxy
27-02-12, 09:53 AM
Do what I do....get Dad to buy them! ;D ;D

Roxy x

goz1960
27-02-12, 09:56 AM

Roxy x

Sounds the best way to me?.

lolliver
27-02-12, 11:27 AM

Roxy x

Definitely. I was all set to pick up a knackered YBR125 for my first bike; Dad talked me around at the last minute luckily! ;D

wiltshire builders
27-02-12, 12:27 PM

Roxy x

Definitely. I was all set to pick up a knackered YBR125 for my first bike; Dad talked me around at the last minute luckily! ;D
I took my Dad with me to pick up my ZX10 actually.

Ok, Here's the new amended version:

Buying a used bike can be baffling. Saw on another thread that some people could use some tips.

1. Take your Dad with you

There are some great bikes out there, you just need to take your Dad with you.

goz1960
27-02-12, 12:30 PM

Roxy x

I took my Dad with me to pick up my ZX10 actually.

Ok, Here's the new amended version:

1. Take your Dad with you

There are some great bikes out there, you just need to take your Dad with you.

A must as far as I can make out?.

Nooj
29-02-12, 12:34 PM
1. Imaculate plastics: Could be re-sprayed or an ex-racer with the original fairings put back on. Check around for crash damage. Frame, forks or ground out pegs or bar weights. If the plastics are really clean but the rear shock and header pipes are caked in crap, be wary.

Cracked paint on subframes and fairing supports can indicate a crash as well, steel frames bend and can get re-straightened easily enough, but the paint can crack around the mounting points.

Yes, age related wear and tear can also cause paint damage, but if you see this along with the other signs of accident damage listed above it's all more evidence that suggests you should walk away.

Geordie Stu
29-02-12, 01:11 PM
If your buying for the 1st time or relatively inexperienced & if your Dad can't do it, take some who knows about bikes with you.

Nooj
01-03-12, 10:25 AM
Indeed, we cover a huge area as a forum, there will always be someone willing to help out.