PDA

View Full Version : Never take the girlfriend bike shopping...

thespirit3
28-02-12, 11:21 AM
Hi All,

I recently visited Blade Triumph for a quote to change some uncomfortable aftermarket bars back to stock on my 1997 T509 Speed Triple. I originally posted for advice at the Triumph RAT forum.

I've now posted an update to the thread, but I thought it also worthwhile posting the update here... enjoy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi All,

Sorry for the slow response and thankyou for all your comments. This post has a very bizarre ending; to cut a long story short:-

The bars were not only different but also the wrong diameter. Changing the bars back to stock also required removing the aftermarket risers and replacing with original items. What should have been a £70 fix started looking rather expensive.

Somehow I used this argument to justify a new bike. The dealer had some stunning purple Street Triples in stock - I really liked the look of these but wondered if they may be a little 'girly'. I later returned with the girlfriend to get her opinion. This is where things went horribly wrong: She fell in love with the purple triple. We now have two new street triples arriving in two weeks time (his and hers, black and purple).

I'm sure there's a lesson to learn here; don't take the girlfriend bike shopping? Needless to say, we have a very happy Triumph dealer and a very unhappy bank account.

This is definitely the most expensive set of replacement bars... ever!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, in two weeks time we'll both become Street Triple owners. I have to admit, I'm really excited about this. This is the first time I've felt this almost childhood excitement in a long time - I thought as an adult feelings like this just didn't happen anymore!

I'll post a thread with photos when the new trumpets arrive. I also hope to make it to some future Wiltshire Bikers meets - it's about time I met some of you lot :)

Also, special thanks to Steve @ Blade for making me bankrupt! Is he a member here? :D

Steve

Dabz
28-02-12, 11:50 AM
very nice, and great choice of bike :) WB will need to be renamed Wiltshire Street Triple Owners soon lol...plenty of them in the club!

Mikkie1986
28-02-12, 12:02 PM
Steve isnt as yet... Im sure i will get him to register tomorrow as he is up at the Triumph factory today.. ( Lucky bugger).
;) :)

thespirit3
28-02-12, 12:26 PM
Steve taught me to ride probably 4 years ago now. It was a pleasant surprise to then buy bike(s) from him 4 years later. Top chap and top service :)

Nikki
28-02-12, 02:04 PM
Thats nearly as bad as matching anoraks...from someone who rides the same bike as her OH :D

Snowy
28-02-12, 02:06 PM
Matching jackets and helmets too?

Wes
28-02-12, 07:18 PM
Matching jackets and helmets too?
aagghh dont do it ;D

Last Train
28-02-12, 07:46 PM
Like it Steve,

8-) 8-)

redken1
28-02-12, 08:24 PM
Steve, my last bike cost me £10,000 - 6 for the bike and 4 for the kitchen. ;D ;D ;D

As for being unable to contain your exitement, I am the same over getting my new exhaust fitted next week - how sad is that. ;)

Swanny
28-02-12, 09:10 PM
Excellent 8-)
I wish my girlfriend had a street triple :-/

goz1960
28-02-12, 09:47 PM
I would take my missus bike shopping if I thought I would end up with a new bike (no brainier).

Kevinb
29-02-12, 09:39 AM
My wife got be back into biking I was looking at buying a Lexus. She then got me to buy the MT-01 again instead of replacing the car. Looking at the auction ending on the Bonneville & sidecar she came up stairs so now we have that as well. She's one in a million :-*

Jon_W
29-02-12, 11:52 AM
Nice one. Always good to see people getting into biking.

My GF dosen't really care..... she has her scoot and is happy with that. I have mine and am happy.... but there is always room.....

Nooj
29-02-12, 01:36 PM
My Missus owns more bikes than me.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not :-?

Julie_S
29-02-12, 10:12 PM
Another victim of the siren call of the Street Triple

Enjoy !

thespirit3
01-03-12, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Bikes ready in just over 1 week. *excitement*

Steve