PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!! PUNCTURE !!!

DC
27-02-12, 08:28 PM
Hi ALL
Went out to longleat yesterday with swanny came back stayed the night in hilperton went out to the bike this morning to ride back to swindon and me bliddy tyre was flat pumped some air in it tonight will check and do the same in the morning im hoping its slow enough to ride it somewhere to get it repaired locally around the Trowbridge area dont really know whos who any suggestions please ?
Cheers Andy

Nelly
27-02-12, 08:33 PM
There's Bike Aid in the centre of Trobo or if youre feeling lucky ride in ride out. (Advertise on the home page). Chippenham Motor Cycles in the nam.

Hope it works out for you Andy

DC
27-02-12, 09:05 PM
Nice one Neil me old fruitcake !!!

Jon_W
28-02-12, 07:56 AM
If you go to Bike aid, see if Andy Rowett is there. He is a brit bike nut.

Nooj
28-02-12, 11:46 AM
Puncturesafe sealant will probably fix it, amazing stuff!

Wes
28-02-12, 06:14 PM
A repaired Tyre is always going to have a weak spot, generally if you ride at a less spirited pace, it shouldn't be a problem. But i personally would go for a new tyre, its just not worth the risk or consequences.

Mark_Able
28-02-12, 08:01 PM
A repaired Tyre is always going to have a weak spot, generally if you ride at a less spirited pace, it shouldn't be a problem. But i personally would go for a new tyre, its just not worth the risk or consequences.

Now the information I was given from a technician is that only certain makes of tyre should not be repaired, but most are fine. In fact, if the tyre is repaired in the correct manner, the repair is stronger than the original. It's British Standards that say tyres shouldn't be repaired, but they're tarring all with the same brush. I've raced on a repaired tyre with no issues.

Nikki
29-02-12, 08:51 AM
... i personally would go for a new tyre, its just not worth the risk or consequences.

Me too.

I find it really odd that so many of us will spend hundreds of pounds on a helmet and just wouldnt consider buying one without the appropriate BS standard etc., yet will get a punctured tyre repaired when a tyre is just so fundamental to our safety.

I know we all have our own perceptions of what is and isnt safe but for me no chance, the British Standard is there for a reason. (I use Z rated tyres BTW)

Jon_W
29-02-12, 10:46 AM
Assuming tha this id Daddy's old Truimph, he'll have an inner tube.... no need for a new tyre, just a new tube and the object pulled out of the tyre.

One advantage of old bikes.... :)

Geordie Stu
29-02-12, 11:44 AM
I have seen this video before. Rhino Tyres...!!!
Thought it may be of interest. Not sure how the gel would effect the balance, handling of the bike, or the tyre performance.

http://youtu.be/GScWPb8qcng

DC
29-02-12, 12:13 PM
Thanks all the puncture was slow enough for me to get back to Swindon dropped it into Steve Lynham's yesterday and he put a new tube in SORTED !!!

Mark_Able
01-03-12, 09:26 PM
... i personally would go for a new tyre, its just not worth the risk or consequences.

Me too.

I find it really odd that so many of us will spend hundreds of pounds on a helmet and just wouldnt consider buying one without the appropriate BS standard etc., yet will get a punctured tyre repaired when a tyre is just so fundamental to our safety.

I know we all have our own perceptions of what is and isnt safe but for me no chance, the British Standard is there for a reason. (I use Z rated tyres BTW)

If the tyre is repaired correctly, there is no risk at all. If you don't want to take my word for it, go and have a word with the technicians at Bike Treads. Having chatted at length with the ex-tyre tester at Avon Tyres, Pete Wilson, tyre construction is the key issue. Bike Treads will tell you what tyres should and should not be repaired. Personally, I think if the tyre is safe repaired, it's much better than forking out £130+ for a new one... :-/

Nikki
02-03-12, 08:51 AM

Me too.

If the tyre is repaired correctly, there is no risk at all. If you don't want to take my word for it, go and have a word with the technicians at Bike Treads. Having chatted at length with the ex-tyre tester at Avon Tyres, Pete Wilson, tyre construction is the key issue. Bike Treads will tell you what tyres should and should not be repaired. Personally, I think if the tyre is safe repaired, it's much better than forking out £130+ for a new one... :-/

Hi Mark

You are of course entitled to your opinion but to categorically state If the tyre is repaired correctly, there is no risk at all is one very bold statement. :o

The Bristish Standard is in place for a reason, and it does in fact state that no repairs are allowed in the sidewalls and that repairs are not allowed on Z rated tyres. (Obviously not the case with the original post, but its now digressed)

I personally have never spoken with a reputable tyre seller that will breach the British Standard and would have no desire to buy from someone who would do so.

Would I risk it NO WAY but I value my life at more than £150 odd pounds ;)

Nikki
02-03-12, 11:14 AM

Me too.

Mark I reckon your chaps 'advice' is a bit out of date :o

The following is from Peter McNally the Technical Product Manager at Avon Tyres (quoted with his permission)

British Standards BS159f states that tyres above V rated should not be repaired.

We support this, not because it will sell us more tyres.

Modern rear radials are manufactured with circumferential cords of steel or aramid (kevlar) which are wrapped around the tyre. This prevents the tyre growing at speed. At high speeds, there is a massive force exerted on these cords, if some are damaged, the whole tyre could come apart. Most punctures penetrate the tyre between the cords but it is possible the cords could have been damaged. We don’t think it is worth the risk trying to repair them and recommend they are not.

We have a 'Road Hazard Warranty' on our tyres also:-

Road Hazard Warranty
The warranty only applies to Avon's VP2 and 3D Ultra Sport, VP2 and 3D Ultra Supersport, Azaro ST and Storm range of tyres in the UK, USA and Canada. If you buy a tyre from a participating dealer, then damage or puncture your tyre before you have worn more than 1mm (about 1/32 inch)of tread off (measured at the centre line), we will replace your tyre. You pay the dealer for fitting/balancing. The dealer should have a form for you to fill out when you purchase the tyre. If unavailable, keep the receipt. This warranty covers correct road use. Underinflated tyres, racing, off road use etc will invalidate the warranty.

Me - I'm taking the experts advice, as I said personally my life's worth more than a few hundred pounds, hope its of interest to anyone else reading the thread too. The Avon Hazard Warranty may be of particular interest to anyone using Avon Tyres :)

SupeRDel
02-03-12, 08:55 PM
Me - I'm taking the experts advice, as I said personally my life's worth more than a few hundred pounds, hope its of interest to anyone else reading the thread too. The Avon Hazard Warranty may be of particular interest to anyone using Avon Tyres :)

Actually, if you valued your life you would not ride a motorcycle at all. Don't matter how much training you have you will have an accident one day.

Tires come with 9mm of tread.
Tire manufacturers actually recommend, to get best performance, that you change a tire when the tread gets down to 6mm because by then they will have lost their shape.

Nikki
02-03-12, 09:06 PM

Actually, if you valued your life you would not ride a motorcycle at all. Don't matter how much training you have you will have an accident one day.

Tires come with 9mm of tread.
Tire manufacturers actually recommend, to get best performance, that you change a tire when the tread gets down to 6mm because by then they will have lost their shape.

Gotta minimise the risk though and take the experts advice when you can I reckon :) But yes know where you're coming from.

Thorkill_The_Tall
02-03-12, 09:11 PM
Avon's 'road hazard warranty' is very generous, but you'd be suprised how quickly you get through that first millimeter of tread.

In this case, British Starndards are recommendations, not legal requirements. I'd be more inclined to follow the manufacturers' guidelines.

Anyway, in our ever litigious society, if a tyre failed following a repair, the repairer would probably get sued. This is why fewer and fewer places will repair motorcycle tyres.