PDA

View Full Version : GW's??

Nelly
19-01-12, 10:46 AM
I just had a call from a friend who tells me that George Whites just shut up shop for financial reasons! Anybody else heard this? :o

Mikkie1986
19-01-12, 10:59 AM
Am investigating now :D

njl
19-01-12, 11:06 AM
I was about to go get some bits and bobs

Mikkie1986
19-01-12, 11:11 AM
Sad to say but the doors are locked! No staff are there....... Its been on the cards for a while as they have been losing money hand over fist on Finacial House....

possibly another big loss for Motorcycling... :(

Hope its not as it seems. Alot of friends work there and they bring alot of business to Swindon..

njl
19-01-12, 11:14 AM
Bad news, real surprise! I'm heading over yours for some fs365 no Mike!!

Hazel-nut
19-01-12, 11:19 AM
i was there on saturday and the bargain section was closed and it was all in the main section! they were quite low on sizes and did have a lot of stuff at very low prices! for example, shoei helmets rrp £419.99 they were selling them for £99 but only had XXS left (shame because i think i need an XS and they were very nice helmets :()

although im not a fan of the ride to gws i like the occasional visit to look at the nice bikes and possibly get a bargain :P

Mikkie1986
19-01-12, 11:24 AM
Confirmed 100% official... :(

Hazel-nut
19-01-12, 11:27 AM
is it the whole of gws or just the swindon outlet?

Mikkie1986
19-01-12, 11:34 AM
Its the whole lot...

Nelly
19-01-12, 11:43 AM
That's a big shame indeed :(

db
19-01-12, 11:49 AM
Gutted,another business bits the dust,terrible shame >:(

Dabz
19-01-12, 11:54 AM
geez, that's a huge business to go down the pan. Wonder who is buying the stock...

Mikkie1986
19-01-12, 11:58 AM
...................... :-X

igbell
19-01-12, 11:58 AM
wow bad news indeed

Scotty
19-01-12, 12:18 PM
"Those who ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them..." I don't recall to whom that quote is attributed, but apparently nobody at GW was familiar with it... Witness the late 90s and massive expansion by M&P, Carnell, Motorcycle City, Riossi, all followed by a big crash as they realised that they'd over-expanded and the market wasn't there to sustain it all.

It is sad news though. I have no great love for GW, they've rarely failed to disappoint when I've dealt with them, but all the same there are plenty of people who'll lose their jobs and a motorcycling landmark will be gone, at least in the short term... :(

Splash
19-01-12, 12:37 PM
Arghhh I have my bike booked in for the Honda Service there soon! now I have to go to Abingdon!

Geordie Stu
19-01-12, 12:44 PM
Reading further into this. Looks like they have closed 4 branches.
Slough, London & 2 in Cornwall. The shop is still trading online.

Swanny
19-01-12, 12:50 PM
I have the feeling lots of companies are going to the wall this year :-/

Nelly
19-01-12, 12:56 PM
Now on MCN
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2012/January/jan1912-george-white-goes-into-administration/

Swanny
19-01-12, 12:58 PM
A trip to GW's was always a good excuse to go for a ride :(

Mikkie1986
19-01-12, 12:58 PM
I think alot of companies will but not my shop! 8-)

What Scotty has said is 100% correct!

Hunar
19-01-12, 01:04 PM
So anyone want to start up a small bike dealership in swindon?

igbell
19-01-12, 01:16 PM
yes please.....

Splash
19-01-12, 01:24 PM

Now we'll have to ride to Mikkies shop not GW! ;)

Pop the kettle on mate!

Jacde
19-01-12, 01:30 PM
I'm not surprised, they got too greedy, simple!
I only recently started going to Fowlers and staff there are so much more helpful compared to GW staff. :-/

I do feel for staff that have been made redundant tho :(

Jon_W
19-01-12, 01:30 PM

Pop the kettle on mate!

sounds a far better idea!!! Never liked GW's :)

Splash
19-01-12, 01:34 PM

Pop the kettle on mate!

sounds a far better idea!!! Never liked GW's :)

& PLUS 1 to that Jon!

Dabz
19-01-12, 01:57 PM

really? it was a **** location to ride to! Now somewhere like 3x Motorcycles in ringwood...there's a dealership surrounded by awesome riding roads right to the front door.

Jon_W
19-01-12, 02:17 PM

really? it was a **** location to ride to! Now somewhere like 3x Motorcycles in ringwood...there's a dealership surrounded by awesome riding roads right to the front door.

+1. Zigzag hil!!!!!! :D

Nooj
19-01-12, 02:40 PM
Feel sorry for the floor staff, all out of a job, but as has been said they'd over spent stupidly with millions of quid's worth of bikes and kit so I don't think it's that big a surprise really.

Good for the smaller dealers though! I Expect Mikkie and the Triumph shop will see a good increase in trade and hopefully I will as well.

Wish I had the money to open a small biker cafe somewhere near by. There will now be a lot of bikers looking for somewhere new to go this year.

Dabz
19-01-12, 02:46 PM
one day we'll open the Wiltshire Bikers Cafe...

wasted_ace
19-01-12, 02:51 PM
Bloody shame..they had some great bargains on their sale days but the Swindon branch was a pig of a place to get to at the best of times
Lets hope that somebody buys up the business and saves those jobs..every time a bike dealer/accessory place closes down it just gives the large outfits the monopoly and they shove up the prices accordingly >:(

wasted_ace
19-01-12, 03:01 PM
Fowlers Of Bristol..my opinion after a lot of dealings with them..superb choice of bikes and good deals to be had if you haggle with the few decent saleguys and not the pearly toothed ones with bad haircuts and putrid breath..very pukingly nice to you when buying brand new...mmmmmmm...thats about it..
Hideously expensive..servicing is f**king dire and nearly cost me my life in 2010..bike gear so pricey you would need to flog a kidney to buy any of it and i wouldnt touch one of their used bikes as they are ****e and will no doubt break down a few days after the 1 month warranty expires :(

Mikkie1986
19-01-12, 03:13 PM
GW is going to hit Swindon fairly hard on the biker front. ( They had over 4000 visitors per month)
It was a big attraction and every local business did well from it. passing trade and all that..

I have my new shop being built currently and it will hold 3 times the stock so hopefully it wont hit us to hard! :-/ We should be ok, we generally have staff that say hello and would you like a cuppa...

Fowlers - You will always get mixed reviews....As im sure everyone is aware.

( i dont personally like them). But whatever trade you are in, you cant please everyone...
Who hasnt ever moaned or been a pain in someones ass?!?!?

Silence............ as i suspected... ;D

Nooj
19-01-12, 03:25 PM
Bollocks, I was halfway through buying some stuff when their site went down due to 'maintenance' >:(

Mikkie1986
19-01-12, 03:32 PM
I would say dont buy anything... You may not receive it.... ;)

Ducatista
19-01-12, 03:36 PM
I was halfway through buying some stuff when their site went down due to 'maintenance'

If it went down before you completed then that's a good thing.

Gerry
19-01-12, 03:49 PM
one day we'll open the Wiltshire Bikers Cafe...

Not if I beat you first :-)

I know of a nice tidy building in Swindon going cheap, built in cafe upstairs etc.
All we would need is Beamer running it and it would make a fortune :-)

On a serious note: if you look at the H Cafe, Loomies or even the Ace Cafe (which is in a really crap place) all you need is an old cafe with good parking and a big Biker friendly notice and it would stand a good chance of doing well.
We (bikers) are always looking for a place to ride to.
If WB ever invested it would be really well supported.

I'm off to look for a suitable place on Google :-)

G

Ade
19-01-12, 03:52 PM
.. over-trading ... classic way to insolvency.. (worked in Insolvency for couple of years when in practice ) .. not nice having to tell staff, none of who's fault it is, that they are being made redundant .. even worse for them when Administrators called in at last moment and staff have no inkling.

Lots of businesses aren't saveable by an Administrator (called in by Directors) or even a Receiver (appointed by a creditor - usually a bank) because that action wasn't taken soon enough ... absolutely not saying that that is the case for GW's as don't know the detail.
But sometimes if an Insolvency Practitioner gets called in earlier then there is more of the business to save .. or it's a more attractive proposition to sell on some or all of the business as a going concern if that option is open to the IP.

Very sad though for the very many members of staff that have lost their jobs today.

Wonder if that exec car business in the service workshop car park is also linked to GW ? .. normally if the parent company fails it can have a snowball effect with subsidiary businesses previously reliant on parent company support in terms of bank cross-guarantees etc.

Mikkie1986
19-01-12, 04:02 PM
Tut Tut.. I think they were recently purchased by a certain business mans mate.... Just like Budget Bikes were in December.... ;)

Wes
19-01-12, 04:03 PM
Shame, i enjoyed going up there for a look around and it was always an excuse for a bit of a longer pop to the shop, i went there last week and got a right bargain pair of gloves, wish id bought two pair now :(

si-moffatt
19-01-12, 04:36 PM
Personally i couldn't care less about the company. ever since i tried to buy my second bike I've disliked them. i have never liked the way the company was with younger riders and maybe just maybe if they let people test ride bike without having to jump through hoops they could have lasted a bit longer. personally just been cheep was never enough

still, gutted for the guys told not to turn up for work

Swanny
19-01-12, 05:00 PM

Really???
Melksham, Calne, Lynham, Wootton Bassett GW's
Some nice twisty roads that way.

Really don't like riding to Fowlers

Roxy
19-01-12, 05:07 PM
Real shame for the people who are out of a job but I personally didn't really like the place. Lots of people moaned about the sales or after sales service as being rubbish although I know that's not always the case. The bike selection was ok but I hated the way the salesman use to prowl and look at you like you were dirt on the floor and you shouldn't be on the bikes, you could sometimes get a bargain in the warehouse but the cafe was utter crap for service. The staff had faces on them like they really didn't want to be there or even serve you and it took about 20 mins to get a cup of tea ffs!

Much prefer Fowlers for a cuppa and a game of table footy with Alf! They also don't mind him zipping around on his scooter and sitting on all the bikes! ;D

Hope the staff find jobs elsewhere though.

Roxy x

Mikkie1986
19-01-12, 05:08 PM
Personally i couldn't care less about the company. ever since i tried to buy my second bike I've disliked them. i have never liked the way the company was with younger riders and maybe just maybe if they let people test ride bike without having to jump through hoops they could have lasted a bit longer. personally just been cheep was never enough

still, gutted for the guys told not to turn up for work

I agree... and also agree Shame for the staff

Last Train
19-01-12, 05:44 PM
A real shame for all the staff, gutted for them :(

I've been throught the Administrator mill a couple of times before and it's a bit of a shock to find your place of work locked up, and you slung out on your arse, even though you knew it might well be on the cards.

And the fact that a bike shop, even thought it was of no real interest to me, has gone to the dogs.

redken1
19-01-12, 06:36 PM
Echo the sentiments already expressed – Just back from the festive break to lose your job must be really tough. :'(

I have bought two bikes from GW’s in recent years and found the staff very helpful and could not fault the after care service. Always enjoyed chatting to the young lass who worked at the service desk.

Looking at the bigger picture, sadly, I would not be surprised to see more household franchise names in the car and motorcycle industry go to the wall. At a time when most folk are taking a pay-cut or freeze, the cost of new cars and bikes appear to be increasingly out of the reach of many.

Doom and gloom I know, but 2012 is going to be a hard year for most sectors. :'(

Toph
19-01-12, 08:16 PM
I've only been to George whites a few times, I loved the feel of the place, there was a real buzz there, the park between the showrooms was always full with a vast array of different bikes.
I loved browsing the outlet store, always a bargain to be had!
So sad for the employees, out of a job ,must be hard to take. :(
Although I've got to agree with the comments about the cafe staff... miserable b*ggers ! ::)

FJ_Biker
19-01-12, 08:23 PM
This is tragic news not only for the staff but the biking community.

Don't care if you are fan of GW's or not it gives us the biking community less choice.

All these companies going on the high street sadly reminds me of a few years ago.

Swanny
19-01-12, 08:30 PM
All the staff I met at GW were really nice, chatty and helpful

YMFB
19-01-12, 08:31 PM

It might be a great ride, but I will never buy another bike or have it serviced by 3x. :( >:(

Dabz
19-01-12, 09:14 PM
Realy? I've bought 2 bikes from them and was very well looked after. Only fowlers have been better for customer service in my experience of bike buying (and I've bought a fair few)

Rabb
19-01-12, 09:34 PM
Gutted for the staff.
I bought nearly all of my kit from them - I found the staff knowledgable and friendly (and they always seemed very busy??)

Truly sorry for the staff.....

BB
19-01-12, 09:43 PM
Personally I didn't like the place but I am sorry for the staff to hear it has gone down. :(

BB

andy_clark1
20-01-12, 08:12 AM
Real shame, as said before, feel very sorry for the staff who were always very friendly and helpful.

Any suggestions on what I do with the vouchers I got for Christmas??? :-?

Kevinb
20-01-12, 08:31 AM
Yes real shame 61 out of 70 staff have gone. Must be terrible for George White as a person to see the business he built up over 50 plus years go under. Hopefully someone will come forward and take over some of the showrooms

Jon_W
20-01-12, 08:43 AM
Personally I didn't like the place but I am sorry for the staff to hear it has gone down. :(

BB

+1. Sad day for the staff. :(

Julie_S
20-01-12, 11:56 AM
Shame. I liked looking around George Whites

Is that going to leave a very big hole in BSB Sponsorship? weren't they one of the major sponsors?

Caz
20-01-12, 12:37 PM
Me too, I used to enjoy the ride over there even though all those round-abouts and like getting the odd bargain :)

Moo
20-01-12, 04:25 PM
Shame. I liked looking around George Whites

Is that going to leave a very big hole in BSB Sponsorship? weren't they one of the major sponsors?

They were a sponsor but not one of the major ones and they only had a two year deal which expired at the end of last season anyway so hopefully wont have too much impact on BSB.

Swanny
20-01-12, 04:32 PM
Maybe they will only close some of the stores

RedSoul
20-01-12, 05:47 PM
To say i have never been a fan of GW,s is the understatement of the year,but will miss the honda mechanic as he took pride in his work and always done a great job on my bikes.......anybody know a decent honda mechanic nearby???

Red Zed 1
20-01-12, 05:58 PM
popped over swindon this pm,whole place closed with a note on the door,but no-one about..wonder if they'll have a sale/clearout..

Carbonkid
20-01-12, 06:40 PM
I knew they were having problems for a while. Personally a real shame to see this big name and social meeting point go bust.
Hopfully someone will buy them out or something.

In the mean time Fowlers it is...

Flying Half-Dutchman
20-01-12, 06:42 PM
Very sad to see it go. I've spent many Saturday afternoons mooching around the place. Best wishes to all the staff, I hope they all get new jobs soon. I'll certainly miss the 2 young ladies who worked in the outlet centre ;)

gibbo
20-01-12, 08:11 PM
I'm not surprised, they got too greedy, simple!
I only recently started going to Fowlers and staff there are so much more helpful compared to GW staff. :-/

I do feel for staff that have been made redundant tho :(

Some of the customer service was p**s poor (my experience). :(

gibbo
20-01-12, 08:17 PM

Really???
Melksham, Calne, Lynham, Wootton Bassett GW's
Some nice twisty roads that way.

Really don't like riding to Fowlers

Fowlers is a s**te place to ride to as well. >:(

gibbo
20-01-12, 08:26 PM
Real shame for the people who are out of a job but I personally didn't really like the place. Lots of people moaned about the sales or after sales service as being rubbish although I know that's not always the case. The bike selection was ok but I hated the way the salesman use to prowl and look at you like you were dirt on the floor and you shouldn't be on the bikes, you could sometimes get a bargain in the warehouse but the cafe was utter crap for service. The staff had faces on them like they really didn't want to be there or even serve you and it took about 20 mins to get a cup of tea ffs!

Much prefer Fowlers for a cuppa and a game of table footy with Alf! They also don't mind him zipping around on his scooter and sitting on all the bikes! ;D

Hope the staff find jobs elsewhere though.

Roxy x

Agree with most of that Roxy about Gw's. A couple of months back I test rode a GSX1400 but when I refused to sign up and buy due to rusty welds on the frame, the sales bloke totally ignored me after that. Before that though, we were virtually on first name terms. What goes around, comes around. :-/

Swanny
20-01-12, 09:09 PM
I'll certainly miss the 2 young ladies who worked in the outlet centre ;)

Me too they were very pleasing to the eyes :)

Green Man
20-01-12, 09:32 PM
Sad loss, :( I enjoyed the blatt over there !!

db
21-01-12, 12:10 AM
I'll certainly miss the 2 young ladies who worked in the outlet centre ;)

Me too they were very pleasing to the eyes :)

your not wrong there ;D

spanner347
21-01-12, 09:57 AM
Just been looking for a small bike for the wife on Bike Trader, and George White stock is still on it!! Does this mean they are still trading? There must be an awful lot of machines somewhere that some one is trying to sell!!

Not sure whether the food was better inside in the cafe or outside from the van?

Mikkie1986
21-01-12, 10:01 AM
Come to Triumph down the road!! Kettle is always on!

spanner347
21-01-12, 10:04 AM
My friend has popped down the road to the Triumph dealer, friendly staff there too. Do they have small scooters?

Mikkie1986
21-01-12, 10:22 AM
Not in Triumph however i have nhew and used ones 2 doors down. Pop in and have a look.. :)

njl
21-01-12, 10:30 AM
Just been looking for a small bike for the wife on Bike Trader, and George White stock is still on it!! Does this mean they are still trading? There must be an awful lot of machines somewhere that some one is trying to sell!!

Not sure whether the food was better inside in the cafe or outside from the van?
The eBay parts breakers shop is marked up as seller away and shows nothing avaliable to buy

quimby
21-01-12, 02:16 PM
Sad news indeed,will b strange not seeing all the bikes outside when i go past.As said before hopefully someone will step in but looks unlikely at the moment I think :(

Swanny
21-01-12, 02:25 PM

What's your coffee like?? Hope it's not nescafe :-?

The coffee machine inside GW's made nice coffee and it only cost 20p a cup :)

Shep
21-01-12, 04:47 PM
The eBay parts breakers shop is marked up as seller away and shows nothing avaliable to buy

The staff who formerly ran "gwbikespares" will shortly be trading as "jhbikespares".

Dex
23-01-12, 03:00 AM

The coffee machine inside GW's made nice coffee and it only cost 20p a cup :)

I've never paid for a cup of coffee in several years of going to Triumph. In fact, whenever I fancy a coffee I call in there :)

Kevinb
23-01-12, 08:59 AM
The burger vans sh*te outside Triumph. Very dirty. The little swedish lady by the tool centre made her own burgers and was very pleasant. We tend to forget the other businesses that will be affected by GW's closing down.

How about Triumph and Victory moving to one of those nice big empty showrooms along the road?

Mikkie1986
23-01-12, 11:31 AM
We haven't had a burger van for about 4 months so if anyone knows anyone that wants a pitch on a Staurday we would be very accomodating.

As for Triumph/Victory Moving not very likely I'm afraid.

And as someone asked about coffee, yes we don't charge for coffee and the machine is OK but if you come and see Paul in The Victory Showroom you might even get a proper filter coffee & a Biscuit all gratis.

:)

Swanny
23-01-12, 02:52 PM
Biscuit all gratis.

:)

I don't like currants any chance of a chocolate one??? ;)

Squashed_Fly
23-01-12, 06:42 PM
The little swedish lady by the tool centre made her own burgers and was very pleasant.

Possibly the best burger I've ever had!

Splash
28-01-12, 11:44 AM
Rode past GW's this morning and noticed they have already removed a large quantity of bikes from the main showroom...

garvey2003
30-01-12, 01:45 PM
Yeah I noticed a turck outside and some people loading hte honda scooters on it.
I feel for the people who worked for GW's.

Maybe I should buy a burger van, I need a second income and free every weekend :)

wasted_ace
17-02-12, 04:40 PM
Just back from Fowlers and thought i would take a look back at a post i sent in some weeks ago when the subject veered off topic and brought Fowlers into the frame.
I scooted upstairs for a cuppa with the missus but before i got halfway i was approached by an irate salesguy ( who shall remain nameless ) who gave me an earful for posting detrimental comments about Fowlers and that i should go back and re examine what i had posted..well that i have done...and i stand by my comments..
I could have gone into greater detail about certain events that happened but i didnt..thats in the past and Fowlers eventually resolved them to my satisfaction.
My present dealings with Fowlers have been on a more positive note..the service i have just had is above average..a good job done..the service from Colin who works the desk down at Fowlers is second to none..Colin has always been an exceptional and helpful bloke and i have a lot of time for him.
I stand by my comments that certain salesmen there are pretty dreadful and unless you commit to buying a bike and ask to many questions they deem you as a bit of a time waster and a nuisance and cant wait to f**k you off so they can go pounce on somebody else who might make them a quick buck.
I said "some salesmen" not all..there are notably a couple of good guys there such as Phil in the Triumph dept.
So my final opinion..Fowlers have good days and bad..they blow hot and cold..my second service on the new bike was poor.. nuts missing off the windscreen and the chain had not been lubed..petty things but when you part with £300 it should be expected that you get a decent standard of work.
So apologies to those Fowlers staff that have been offended.
Would i buy a new bike from them..yes..superb deals and bargains..very helpful staff if you get the credit nod.... bike gear..no way around it..to damned expensive.. used bikes no..my old bike is still in there for sale..still fitted with heated grips that dont work with a button missing and wires hanging out..perhaps they missed that one..like the Cam chain guider blade that was not fitted correctly causing the engine to blow up whilst doing 70mph on the fast lane of the M4 in rush hour.. but hey ..no hard feelings.i survived...it only took 2 months to put right and i did get a courtesy bike..so now we are all friends again and im happy to promote Fowlers now they seem to be once again carrying out quality servicing and getting their act together.
When the warranty expires i will probably take the bike elsewhere for servicing but for now i have little choice but to continue my dealing with the big F

Mikkie1986
17-02-12, 05:09 PM
Watch out for a new big player in the bike industry coming to Swindon (GW site)

And i must agree, Fowlers have good days and bad days. ( Personnal opinion and non work biest one)

* Breakfast 100% amazing...
* Always found Colin great... 8-)

bubblylittleme
17-02-12, 05:18 PM
Watch out for a new big player in the bike industry coming to Swindon (GW site)

And i must agree, Fowlers have good days and bad days. ( Personnal opinion and non work biest one)

* Breakfast 100% amazing...
* Always found Colin great... 8-)

Who? and when?

Snowy
17-02-12, 05:32 PM
Ace, you don't have to keep the bike serviced at Fowlers to maintain the warranty - you can take it elsewhere as long as the service schedule is followed. Just sayin.....

Dabz
17-02-12, 07:09 PM
fowlers were brilliant with me :) love them

wasted_ace
18-02-12, 01:19 PM
I thought that the bike had to be serviced at an approved Suzuki dealership..Fowlers was handy as its 3 miles away.
Just to point out..Fowlers have in my opinion improved over my last few visits..there are some good people working there.
Bike is going great and im happy with the work carried out.
Hope this settles the issue.
But a couple of the sales guys could do with some Listermint..JMHO..

SupeRDel
18-02-12, 05:18 PM
I have known Phil for years and he did me a good favour with a lot of Taylors old Yamaha stock when they were on the brink in Chippenham - so got no problems with him.

You walk into a dealership with your missus in full leather looking like you have money and you will be treated with a big friendly smile from the sales people.

I go in there with my scabby old Yamaha jacket looking like a tramp after rolling up on a classic old RD400 and they won't give me a second glance.. :-/

I suppose they have never heard of the scruffy old scrap dealer who walked into a dealar and bought a brand new Rolls Royce and paid in cash!

Nikki
19-02-12, 05:06 PM
You walk into a dealership with your missus in full leather looking like you have money and you will be treated with a big friendly smile from the sales people.

I go in there with my scabby old Yamaha jacket looking like a tramp after rolling up on a classic old RD400 and they won't give me a second glance.. :-/

I suppose they have never heard of the scruffy old scrap dealer who walked into a dealar and bought a brand new Rolls Royce and paid in cash!

I always smile to myself when I go in a bike dealership looking for a new bike with my OH - as a lady I nearly always get ignored even if I'm in front looking directly at a bike with the old man trailing behind, he's the one they target!! Quite nice I get a hassle free look at the bikes :)

Jon_W
19-02-12, 07:29 PM
Know the feeling Nikki.... I seem to be invisble to most dealers... is great for browsing though!!!

andy_clark1
21-02-12, 07:50 PM
Anyone have an update on what is going on? I drove past GW's last night and the lights were on and it did not look any different in side. All the bikes and stuff are still there.

Have to say I am hoping that someone is going to step in and at least take on the Swindon site. I have a 4 year old that prefers a trip to see bikes over a visit to the park any day. :D

goz1960
21-02-12, 08:52 PM
Had a ride out there on Monday, all looked a little eerie as said earlier all the bikes seemed to be still on the main site. The Honda side looked very empty. Cant see any one taking it on though.

Mikkie1986
22-02-12, 09:09 AM
The shop is full of the second hand stock from the other stores. Parts and clothing left is what the bank now own...

Plans for the GW site...... Who knows.... Plans elsewhere..... :-X :P

;)

garvey2003
22-02-12, 09:20 AM
If I had the money, I would like the have say the honda part and turn it into a Biker Cafe :)
Been wanting to start my own business for years and love cooking and bikes. what more could you want :)

I've even thought about buying a bburger van/trailer but no place to dump it lol

The main part when I past last night on the way home form work, was full of bikes and kit. the Honda part looks full of crap. Its very sad looking at the place...

Dabz
22-02-12, 09:29 AM
join the club - a few of us are looking to open a Wiltshire Bikers cafe as soon as a location, premises etc is found!

garvey2003
22-02-12, 09:38 AM
well if you ever want some help :)

gibbo
23-02-12, 09:30 AM
Anyone have an update on what is going on? I drove past GW's last night and the lights were on and it did not look any different in side. All the bikes and stuff are still there.

Have to say I am hoping that someone is going to step in and at least take on the Swindon site. I have a 4 year old that prefers a trip to see bikes over a visit to the park any day. :D

Yes, there seems to be something going on in the main building but the Honda building is near empty.
Perhaps there may be some kind of resurrection of GW's.

Mikkie1986
23-02-12, 09:52 AM

Yes, there seems to be something going on in the main building but the Honda building is near empty.
Perhaps there may be some kind of resurrection of GW's.

::) Mmmm i reckon not :)

garvey2003
23-02-12, 10:19 AM
pooling kit together from other sites maybe, Pasted again on the way to work and alot of activity, well I saw about 10 poeple and about 5 cars at the site?

I need some new gloves, do I wait or go elsewhere? :)

Mitch9128
23-02-12, 02:09 PM
I heard J&S are taking over the site...from staff in J&S in New Malden last week.

garvey2003
23-02-12, 02:13 PM
thats would be cool, Always felt valued when shopping with J&S :)

Mitch9128
23-02-12, 02:47 PM
Their business model is a bit too similar to GW's, don't you think?

Mikkie1986
23-02-12, 02:55 PM
J&S arent involved. They showed interest in the bidding but they havent got it. :)

Carbonkid
23-02-12, 09:03 PM
Hopefully someone will buy the site soon just in time for the bike season to start ;-)

DC
23-02-12, 11:51 PM
I was down at Damerells Motorcycles in Cornwall on Monday talking to the guys there about GW and they said that J&S had just gone under as well !!!

Scotty
24-02-12, 06:51 AM
V&J are the big dealership in the South West that just folded. Sad to see another one bite the dust, but expensive hobbies tend to suffer in times of recession :(

goz1960
25-02-12, 03:42 PM
Do people on here really think another bike shop will go in there?

spanner347
25-02-12, 06:50 PM
V&J are the big dealership in the South West that just folded. Sad to see another one bite the dust, but expensive hobbies tend to suffer in times of recession :(

I bought my bike from there a few years ago, the branch in Mudford, I had a terrible job trying to get the V5 from them. I was told they had sent it to DVLA to get it transferred to my name but DVLA never received it. It took me 3 months to get it, finally emailed the main office in Bridgewater and they had it sorted. Still with the name of the dealer on it. They never sent it away, it was in the back office all the time

Mitch9128
26-02-12, 10:02 AM
J&S arent involved. They showed interest in the bidding but they havent got it. :)

So err do you know who has then?

pilninggas
03-03-12, 02:43 PM
Apparently (according the Diversion Forum) GWs will be open [by the administrator] on the 10th to clear all the accessories and auction off 70 bikes.

Dabz
03-03-12, 05:34 PM
Hmm that's gotta be worth a trip if so...

Swanny
03-03-12, 09:54 PM
I'll be there

Rabb
03-03-12, 09:55 PM
Bugger - working (and can't get out of it)

goz1960
03-03-12, 10:00 PM
I will be there any information on what they will be selling off? ;D

gibbo
04-03-12, 11:33 AM
Went past the old George White's showroom yesterday. All the bikes are gone with just a few helmets, clothes and remaining shopfittings.
Wonder where all the bikes have ended up. They must be selling them somewhere complete with all the redundant stock. The plot thickens!!

nickreeve
04-03-12, 12:53 PM
george whites are due to open again next saturday.
selling clothing from main shop.

Beamer
04-03-12, 04:25 PM
Is this just for the one day ??

DC
04-03-12, 11:25 PM
This is just for one day Sat 10th ! I went there today looking for spark plugs it was closed to the public but a fella in there said that shortly a company called Gambons ? would be moving in there and that it was going to be a clothing outlet only :(