PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on rainbow lenses and modulators?

K8dru
06-03-12, 12:12 AM
Hi all
Now have first bike. :) Don't really want to get splatted ;) Just wondering what you think of these lights. Annoying? Good idea? Dangerous? US forums seem split on them. :-/
Would be grateful for any thoughts.
Cheers
Kate x

wiltshire builders
06-03-12, 07:49 AM
I'm not a fan only because for a split second I think it's a copper behind me but on the flip side, they're obviously doing their job.
There are better ways to avoid getting 'splatted'
It's all in the roadcraft.

Jon_W
06-03-12, 08:02 AM
As with WB. There are issues with the colours they give out and the exact legality.

I'd stick to good defensive riding.

Nikki
06-03-12, 08:30 AM
Hi all
Now have first bike. :) Don't really want to get splatted ;) Just wondering what you think of these lights. Annoying? Good idea? Dangerous? US forums seem split on them. :-/
Would be grateful for any thoughts.
Cheers
Kate x

They are very pretty and may possibly be spotted by someone over standard lights but doubtful I suspect if thats the only reason for getting them.

No idea if they are legal??

Jon_W
06-03-12, 09:51 AM
The issue is showing blue or red lights incorrectly. I saw a guy with there on and from the front they shone red which is illegal. Blue lights are reserved for the emergency services.

Nooj
06-03-12, 12:41 PM
There's better things to spend your money on.

additional lights (spotlights, external LED sidelights etc.) that form points of a triangle with your headlight will enable drivers to pick you out of traffic sooner and judge your speed of approach better.

As has been said though, further training will keep you alive longer.

K8dru
06-03-12, 06:22 PM
Thank you very much for your thoughtful comments.
Will carry on reading my Police Roadcraft handbook and do what Mark says about defensive riding!
Thanks again,
Kate x