PDA

View Full Version : Advanced riding?

garvey2003
29-02-12, 09:32 PM
Ok, I would like to undergo my advanced riding. mainly so I can ride for Severn Freewheelers in Swindon but also to improve my skills as I use my bike every day for work.

I've had a look about and RoSPA seems the best option for me due to costs. Sort of pay as you go.

Now before I start paying out for training and memberships, does anyone know where I can get help on road craft from?

I was thinking of maybe videos or a forum online for useful tips and tricks.
the old pennies are a little tight at the moment or I would just go ahead a book my self in and get it all done :)

ANy help would be cracking :)

njl
29-02-12, 09:38 PM
You are welcome to borrow the book if you like, I have the car one too

goz1960
29-02-12, 09:39 PM
Will follow this with interest as I would like to do the same sort of thing.

garvey2003
29-02-12, 09:41 PM
cheers Nick, that would be great, did you find it useful?

DaytonaDog
29-02-12, 09:50 PM

+1

njl
29-02-12, 09:54 PM
cheers Nick, that would be great, did you find it useful?

Yes, for sure it's been a number of years since I read them both, so it's hard to be sure how much has stuck and how much I let slip, which I guess is where getting in with rospa or IAM comes in.

Trev
29-02-12, 10:13 PM

+1
If you're in Salisbury then worth checking out http://solent-advanced-motorcyclists.co.uk
I'm doing an IAM Skills for Life package (£139) which includes IAM membership, book& other info, free SAM membership, observed rides to get to you test standard & IAM test. You're expected to cover your instructors petrol costs, £10/£15 depending on ride length but so far seems good value, enjoyable and I've already seen plenty opportunities to improve my riding.

Nikki
29-02-12, 10:15 PM
What about a BikeSafe session - its free

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Police-Forces/Wiltshire.aspx

I did one last year found it really useful especially the observed ride with the Police.

goz1960
29-02-12, 10:23 PM
What about a BikeSafe session - its free

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Police-Forces/Wiltshire.aspx

I did one last year found it really useful especially the observed ride with the Police.

This looks interesting.

garvey2003
29-02-12, 10:24 PM
i've got myself booked on the castlecombe bikesafe, more of a taster really as its more for a a little track fun too.

one one in April, think I will try and see if any available space :)

Dabz
01-03-12, 09:53 AM
the road craft book is a great read..

Nooj
01-03-12, 10:21 AM
The Police Motorcycle Handbook is definitely a book everyone who rides should read repeatedly. It teaches you a system to road riding that you can use anywhere and on any bike.

Definitely try and get booked in with RoSPA or the IAM. It's not all hi-vis, riding slowly and counter-steering discussions over tea and biscuits (though those that enjoy that kind of thing are catered for). It's about matching your speed to the road conditions so you won't get caught out by silly mistakes, using your eyes and brain to be quick rather than your throttle and putting yourself in the right place on the road for maximum visibility - both to be seen and to see further (and therefore to be safer and quicker).

I personally would go for RoSPA over IAM, they seem more focused and consistent in their training. The best riders I've been out with have consistently been RoSPA trained, and you need to do re-testing every three years to maintain your grade.

Having said that... the IAM customers I get in are saying that some big changes are coming for their organisation, the biggest one being more consistency in their training and testing across the regional sections. They are keen to shed the 'pipe and slippers' image as well.

Either way, any further training is better than none. Bikesafe is a very good taster to get a feel for what further training will consist of.

Ducatista
01-03-12, 10:27 AM
does anyone know where I can get help on road craft from?

The obvious place is from your Rospa tutor who will provide as much 1 to 1 guidance as you need.

Roadcraft is a bit "dry" and only gives you guidelines.
You need to put it into practice and discuss the scenarios you encouter with your tutor.
But don't get me wrong we love students who read the books rather than just turn up, but the two go together, you need someone to put the book into a practical context.

the old pennies are a little tight at the moment or I would just go ahead a book my self in and get it all done

It's only £25 to join Rospa and that includes the book.

The other option if you are a little hesitant is to go for a riding assesement. This is just one session with a tutor but allows you to try it out.
http://northwiltsroadar.co.uk/north-wiltshire-roadar/assessment/

This is £15 but you'll get a £5 discount on your membership if you go ahead an join.

ANy help would be cracking

The best thing you can do is JOIN.
We have tutors available ready to go out with you and provide as much help as you need.
There are lots of Severn Freewheelers riders at North Wilts Rospa.

BTW - I am also an IAM member and think it's great there is a choice, so I have no issue with whatever group people join, however £25 is a better up front cost than £139 for people who are a bit short of cash.

garvey2003
01-03-12, 10:28 AM
I've decided, once payday comes around im signing up for the RoSPA membership and start my training.

Think its must as I ride all the time :)

Ducatista
01-03-12, 10:35 AM
Fantastic :)

garvey2003
01-03-12, 10:44 AM
RoSPA seems the best way forward and I like the idea of a re-test every three years so it all keeps fresh in your mind.

Just filled out the application form, wait till payday and ill post it off. can't wait :)

thank you all for you advice :)

Nikki
01-03-12, 02:45 PM
does anyone know where I can get help on road craft from?

The obvious place is from your Rospa tutor who will provide as much 1 to 1 guidance as you need.

Roadcraft is a bit "dry" and only gives you guidelines.
You need to put it into practice and discuss the scenarios you encouter with your tutor.
But don't get me wrong we love students who read the books rather than just turn up, but the two go together, you need someone to put the book into a practical context.

the old pennies are a little tight at the moment or I would just go ahead a book my self in and get it all done

It's only £25 to join Rospa and that includes the book.

The other option if you are a little hesitant is to go for a riding assesement. This is just one session with a tutor but allows you to try it out.
http://northwiltsroadar.co.uk/north-wiltshire-roadar/assessment/

This is £15 but you'll get a £5 discount on your membership if you go ahead an join.

ANy help would be cracking

The best thing you can do is JOIN.
We have tutors available ready to go out with you and provide as much help as you need.
There are lots of Severn Freewheelers riders at North Wilts Rospa.

BTW - I am also an IAM member and think it's great there is a choice, so I have no issue with whatever group people join, however £25 is a better up front cost than £139 for people who are a bit short of cash.

Would you possibly have a link for ROSPA which covers a bit further South ie Westbury in Wilts? :)

Ducatista
03-03-12, 03:24 PM
North Wilts has couple of tutors that work in Bath, one in Frome and one in Westbury so although you are on the fringe of our area you would be adequately served by tutors.
We also have an examiner based in westbury (retired police class 1).

Here's a link to the South West groups but I'm afraid I don't have any inside knowledge on them.
Note: you some groups are car only, some are bike only and some mixed.

Wherever you go you will be on the fringe of someone's area but you would be fine for tutors/examiners in North Wilts Rospa.

http://www.roada.org/groups/south-west/index.htm

Morticia
03-03-12, 11:34 PM
Ok, I would like to undergo my advanced riding. mainly so I can ride for Severn Freewheelers in Swindon but also to improve my skills as I use my bike every day for work.

I've had a look about and RoSPA seems the best option for me due to costs. Sort of pay as you go.

Now before I start paying out for training and memberships, does anyone know where I can get help on road craft from?

I was thinking of maybe videos or a forum online for useful tips and tricks.
the old pennies are a little tight at the moment or I would just go ahead a book my self in and get it all done :)

ANy help would be cracking :)

Rospa will send you the book once they receiive the cheque ;D
I, like you, just signed up to be able to volunteer for the freewhelers. Cant wait!

Morticia
03-03-12, 11:36 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOps, sorry, didn't realise you had reply, Ducatista. I know you're the best when it comes to advanced stuff, so just ignoree me Garvey

Ducatista
04-03-12, 12:05 AM
You're quite right the book is included in the joining fee for rospa so no need to buy it. The secretary normally has stock so it should come pretty quick.

Nikki
04-03-12, 10:47 AM
North Wilts has couple of tutors that work in Bath, one in Frome and one in Westbury so although you are on the fringe of our area you would be adequately served by tutors.
We also have an examiner based in westbury (retired police class 1).

Here's a link to the South West groups but I'm afraid I don't have any inside knowledge on them.
Note: you some groups are car only, some are bike only and some mixed.

Wherever you go you will be on the fringe of someone's area but you would be fine for tutors/examiners in North Wilts Rospa.

http://www.roada.org/groups/south-west/index.htm

Thank you

lurkalot
05-03-12, 08:14 AM
There are a series of You Tube videos published by an advanced instructor and RoSPA examiner called imaginatively enough AdvancedBiker. No substitute for getting out there and doing the training but worth a look as a supplement to your tutored/observed rides.

garvey2003
05-03-12, 09:18 AM
funny enough, I was watching them this weekend. Very useful on what to expect.

Morticia
05-03-12, 09:51 AM
The chairman of Rospa trains at a gym I work at When I asked him what they lok for, he said position and awareness. Hope that helps...

Nikki
05-03-12, 04:53 PM
There are a series of You Tube videos published by an advanced instructor and RoSPA examiner called imaginatively enough AdvancedBiker. No substitute for getting out there and doing the training but worth a look as a supplement to your tutored/observed rides.

Just taken a look - they are quite good/useful.

DaytonaDog
07-03-12, 07:15 AM
Application form in the post this morning!!!!

off_again
07-03-12, 08:17 AM
I signed up for the Bike Safe thing on the 15th April!

I have heard good things from other parts of the country for the Bike Safe programme and it looks good. Looking forward to some additional training / assessment, but as a novice, I am fearful that I am not quite as good as I need.....but lets see, nothing to lose and lots to gain!

I will report back (in a month or so).

Swanny
07-03-12, 09:27 AM
Rospa will send you the book once they receive the cheque ;D
I, like you, just signed up to be able to volunteer for the freewheelers. Cant wait!

That would be my reason for doing the test :)

Scotty
07-03-12, 12:22 PM
...but as a novice, I am fearful that I am not quite as good as I need.....
Au contraire O_A, as a novice you'll probably get an awful lot of benefit from doing Bike Safe, you'll learn some really useful things to put into practice before you start developing bad habits. Being a novice the stuff that you learn could be key to you enjoying many years on a bike, rather than coming to a sticky end on account of inexperience, inappropriate enthusiasm and making the wrong choice...

Last Train
07-03-12, 05:24 PM
...but as a novice, I am fearful that I am not quite as good as I need.....
Au contraire O_A, as a novice you'll probably get an awful lot of benefit from doing Bike Safe, you'll learn some really useful things to put into practice before you start developing bad habits. Being a novice the stuff that you learn could be key to you enjoying many years on a bike, rather than coming to a sticky end on account of inexperience, inappropriate enthusiasm and making the wrong choice...

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/smiley-vault-signs-016.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Hunar
08-03-12, 09:07 AM
Good luck guys! I've got my first shift on the bike starting on the 17th. I went the IAM route, and would highly recomend it to anyone. Although there is no requirement for you to re-test every three years I believe that they do offer a 're-test' service you can take if you want to. The Severn Freewheelers will also ask you to do a ride check every 3 years to make sure your riding is up to scratch as well, even if you have just passed your advanced test they will still take you out on a check ride before letting you sign up on the rota for the first time.

When you guys get that far let me know, they will probably recommend a buddy ride with another rider before you start your first shift, so you follow someone else on your bike to get the idea of how the paperwork works and exactly where to go when you arrive at the hospitals, etc, rather than wander around aimlessly looking for the right door. I'll be happy to buddy up with you.

Ducatista
08-03-12, 09:29 AM
Just to clarify the Iam retest is at additional cost. The rospa retest is included in membership fees so no additional cost.

Morticia
09-03-12, 08:18 PM
I have been allocated my tutor :)

Morticia
09-03-12, 08:19 PM
Went with rospa.

chriso
28-05-14, 06:57 PM
I joined ROSPA to 'get my confidence' back when i returned to biking. I found it very good and my tutor was VERY patient - it seems bike tyres have improved since 1980! I still 'hold back' a bit ( my examiner said i could go faster but how do you do that being followed by a copper!?!, but I feel far more confident now and getting my silver has persuaded my wife to go pillion - well that and now having a bike with a proper pillion seat!
I would recommend ROSPA - i have not tried IAM though

fd2526
28-05-14, 07:24 PM
I recently signed up to the Wiltshire ROSPA group, waiting to start my training :)

YMFB
28-05-14, 11:08 PM
Having done both IAM and RoSPA, there are differences but the main one for me or the one that put me off the IAM was the Salisbury Plain group. I joined Wiltshire RoADAR and have been really pleased i did. Having said that I have friends in WABAM and Solent Advanced Motorcyclists (SAM) who are happy.

I still pay my IAM membership whilst Im an active member of Wiltshire RoADAR.

Whatever you choose it will improve your riding skills, overall speed and most importantly your safety. If my children choose go ride a motorbike I will pay for the advanced training, its so cheap for what you get.

Ducatista
30-05-14, 03:10 PM
If you would like a free assessed ride then you might like to take a look at this (coffee and cake available but not included :-)
http://wiltshireroadar.co.uk/members/motorcyclists/skillshare/

It's the first Saturday of the month - so for June that's the 7th from Divine Cafe in Cherhill.
You'll be best acommodated (1 to 1) if you reserve a place (on the web form).

Loops
31-05-14, 12:28 AM
Sounds like everyone has picked their groups now, but for anyone else still thinking about it but hesitating due to money, WABAM do offer sponsership when they have available funds. I did mine under an under-30 programme they ran to encourage younger sign-ups, so once I passed my test they refunded the cost of the IAM skill for life package :)