PDA

View Full Version : Best motorbike breakdown service

Rabb
06-03-12, 11:09 PM
Doing serious mileage over the next few months.
Tell me about your experiences with breakdown services - good or bad.
What have their response times been?
Have they fixed it at the roadside?
Did they have a clue?
All contributions greatly received......
I will be guided by your responses as to who to go with.

garvey2003
07-03-12, 12:26 AM
I'm with the AA, been with them for many years. one thing that keeps me with them is I pay £13 a month and myself and my wife are both covered come bike or car and doesnt matter if its ours or not.

I've had to use the AA for my bike a number of times, one thing that I don't like is when the AA uses local boys, a lack of understanding to try and fix the problem has been shown in the past.

First time I had an electrical fault on my rsv, the bike cut out. I waiting during rush hour in the evening in the rain pnly an hour. local garage with a flat bed turned up. didnt even want to check the bike over just wwanted to load it up and get going.

second time my starter replay packed up in a petrol station, the AA dude turned up within 50 minutes and sourced the issue within 5 minutes, no messing. he didnt have the part but got the bike started and off I went :)

Is what im trying to say is, if the AA deal with you direct, then it seems a good result but when its the local boy wanting to get home to his tea then its crap!

My 2 pence worth

Rabb
07-03-12, 08:52 AM
I'm with the AA, been with them for many years. one thing that keeps me with them is I pay £13 a month and myself and my wife are both covered come bike or car and doesnt matter if its ours or not.

I've had to use the AA for my bike a number of times, one thing that I don't like is when the AA uses local boys, a lack of understanding to try and fix the problem has been shown in the past.

First time I had an electrical fault on my rsv, the bike cut out. I waiting during rush hour in the evening in the rain pnly an hour. local garage with a flat bed turned up. didnt even want to check the bike over just wwanted to load it up and get going.

second time my starter replay packed up in a petrol station, the AA dude turned up within 50
minutes and sourced the issue within 5 minutes, no messing. he didnt have the part but got the
bike started and off I went :)

Thanks fella - really useful to know
Thanks for the reply - buyer beware I think is the name of the game

Is what im trying to say is, if the AA deal with you direct, then it seems a good result but when its the local boy wanting to get home to his tea then its crap!

My 2 pence worth

Senna(Dan)
07-03-12, 10:33 AM
Rabb,
I started with the AA and my first experience was very similar to Garvs so I walked away from them.
Have been with RAC through bike warranty and now with Greenflag.
Greenflag are surprisingly cheap, I am covered for 2 cars and the bike for £52 for the year. Had issues with getting the bike started during the cold snap over winter and was surprised that the guy turned up within 30 minutes and even had a spare battery should I need it, he managed to get it started after 10 minutes of battery charging.
Massive cock up on my part, but am so glad that my investment in an oximiser is now going to be put to better use.

Rabb
07-03-12, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys - your info definitely swayed my decision.
In the end I went with Adrian Flux - £62!!!
Includes : Home start, roadside & full UK recovery (& also european cover too)
Job done.

Jon_W
08-03-12, 09:04 AM
I've got AA, never had a problem. Em has RAC and is happy with them.

Nooj
09-03-12, 01:44 PM
The AA have left Debz stranded by the road side with her bike for FOUR HOURS more than once when she's broken down. So much for lone female priority. Utter ****, avoid them at all costs!

Red Zed 1
09-03-12, 10:49 PM
my breakdown cover comes with insurance policy,and is usually with rac..only used twice ,once for a minor valve blowout and a minor starting issue..both fixed at roadside but on both occasions had to wait nearly an hour for rac to turn up..not a worry,unless its wet!!!

Rabb
10-03-12, 11:52 PM
The AA have left Debz stranded by the road side with her bike for FOUR HOURS more than once when she's broken down. So much for lone female priority. Utter ****, avoid them at all costs!

Thanks for the info.
4 hours is appalling! I hope you have voted with your feet!

Rabb
10-03-12, 11:55 PM
my breakdown cover comes with insurance policy,and is usually with rac..only used twice ,once for a minor valve blowout and a minor starting issue..both fixed at roadside but on both occasions had to wait nearly an hour for rac to turn up..not a worry,unless its wet!!!

Thanks Al - The RAC were my 'close' second choice.
Sounds like a good service.

Loops
11-03-12, 01:16 PM
I'm with the RAC - personal cover so I can call them for any of my collection. Been with them since I started driving.

I've needed them 3 times so far - yes I've had to wait for them, but they've told me how long it would be over the phone. On one occasion I went to my mums house while I waited, and the driver picked me up from there on his way over to my car.

The worst case was when I was stranded at 1am in the middle of nowhere. Lone female, so they offered to ask a police car to come to me while they got a recovery truck out, but me being me said 'no thanks' as I didn't want to bother them! Unfortunately it took longer to get the truck than expected, but they did give me £20 and an apology afterwards.

Rabb
11-03-12, 06:41 PM
Thanks Loops - I thought that the RAC seemed good.
Nice of them to offer to advise the police (whilst you waited) - I'm impressed!

Jon_W
12-03-12, 08:58 AM

Never had that. Been stranded for a couple of hours max. Never had any complaints. The guys I've had have been very careful and knowlegeable.