PDA

View Full Version : george whites

Squashed_Fly
05-03-12, 08:31 PM
Will be open from 9 this Saturday. Selling clothes ans kit in main shop, and auctioning off the bikes in the old clothing warehouse....

I just popped in as there was lots of activity in there as I drove past...

Dabz
05-03-12, 08:44 PM
I'll be there :)

Jacde
05-03-12, 08:47 PM
I'll be there :)

No bike buying Dabz!

Dabz
05-03-12, 08:50 PM
Lol not even a cheeky low bid on a bike or 2 just in case? :p

Jacde
05-03-12, 08:53 PM
Lol not even a cheeky low bid on a bike or 2 just in case? :p

Oh go on then, but make sure it works :P

Dabz
05-03-12, 08:58 PM
Lol a working bike, what's one of those?

I'm only in Swindon on sat because I'm picking up golf equipment won on eBay...bad James! (this is for my dad tho so it's ok)

Squashed_Fly
05-03-12, 09:04 PM
I'm going to get there early as Jen wants some new kit, and I'd quite like a shiny helmet... (ooer vicar!)

Dabz
05-03-12, 09:06 PM
I can't pick my golf stuff up til half 4 so I'll be there late :(

Squashed_Fly
05-03-12, 09:08 PM
Dabz - you're more than welcome to come to ours for a coffee if you fancy before hand, so you could go at lunchtime then come over to kill some time?

Dabz
05-03-12, 09:23 PM
That would be good, thanks mate - was also going to pop in on my brother who's just round the corner from you. I'll text or pm you near the end of the week?

Nelly
05-03-12, 09:25 PM
mmmm, might just scoot along there and have a gander. Thanks for the tip-off aiden

goz1960
05-03-12, 09:38 PM
Will be there on the off chance.

Squashed_Fly
05-03-12, 09:52 PM
That would be good, thanks mate - was also going to pop in on my brother who's just round the corner from you. I'll text or pm you near the end of the week?

Cool!

Swanny
05-03-12, 10:03 PM
Can't make 9 :-/
Can you ask them to open at 10 to give us trogs a chance to grab a bargain :)

Carbonkid
05-03-12, 11:05 PM
I'll be there... :o

Nooj
06-03-12, 12:45 PM
I'll be valeting at Mikkie's shop just down the road, no shopping for me :-(

Aiden, was it you who tipped Visordown off?
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/george-white-set-to-re-open/20229.html

Nico_babe
06-03-12, 12:48 PM
I will hopefully be there

Squashed_Fly
06-03-12, 01:28 PM
Aiden, was it you who tipped Visordown off?
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/george-white-set-to-re-open/20229.html

Nothing to do with me! I just put it on here and Facebook for anyone local hoping to grab a bargain still!

Will pop down and say hi at Blade afterwards though :)

Kevinb
06-03-12, 01:34 PM
Wouldn't mind popping over to have a look even though I couldn't find anything when it was open let alone now when it's closed

Ade
06-03-12, 02:49 PM
May pop over sometime Saturday to see what's going !! :)

suzylover
07-03-12, 07:09 AM
does anyone know if they're putting the auction online too?

Mitch9128
07-03-12, 01:19 PM
http://www.megamotorcyclestore.co.uk/motorcycle-auction/

goz1960
07-03-12, 01:23 PM
Looks like it could be a very interesting day?.

Sapphire
07-03-12, 07:00 PM
Looks like Mega Motorcycle Store is there to stay

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/george-white-becomes-mega-motorcycle-store/20237.html

goz1960
07-03-12, 07:16 PM
Thats the way I read it but I suppose only time will tell?.

StreetHippo
07-03-12, 07:56 PM
They seem to be flogging the same tat as usual. MCN advert doesn't show much, maybe the bikes will be better bargains???
I'll pop over and have a look all the same!

Stu 8-)

goz1960
07-03-12, 08:08 PM
Just found this.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mega%20motorcycles&source=web&cd= 8&sqi=2&ved=0CIQBEBYwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pisto nheads.com%2Fgassing%2Ftopic.asp%3Fh%3D0%26f%3D74% 26t%3D1121861%26nmt%3D&ei=N79XT9uZA6mb1AWKupHPDQ&u sg=AFQjCNFh7XNg1FhDw5y3jgfs2d_i3RrHcg

Rabb
07-03-12, 08:27 PM
I will be there on Sunday - if it will be open (I will call before I go)
I Can't get there on Saturday - working :( :( :( :(

Red Zed 1
07-03-12, 08:47 PM
gonna pop up and have a nosy,,need a helmet and gloves very soon :)

Col
08-03-12, 01:14 AM
I'm lost with this bike auction :-/ There isn't a start time, can't find a full list in lot number order, conditions for payment or really much info....might try and get over today and see what's what.

Seems the clothing side is the same sorta stuff as before

goz1960
08-03-12, 07:36 AM
I'm lost with this bike auction :-/ There isn't a start time, can't find a full list in lot number order, conditions for payment or really much info....might try and get over today and see what's what.

Seems the clothing side is the same sorta stuff as before

Could you update when you find out?. :)

Dabz
08-03-12, 08:52 AM
yup - no reserve prices, no indications of starting bids etc - it's not the best run auction I've ever seen!

FJ_Biker
08-03-12, 12:10 PM
I suspect it will be very busy as it is all over the internet and probably in MCN, the world and has wife will be there looking for a bargain. It would not surprise me if some of the bikes go for more than book price

Mikkie1986
08-03-12, 12:24 PM
The bikes have all been valued by the traders and are obviously going to try and retain high reserves..
Good luck with the bidding...
:)

spudgun
08-03-12, 12:28 PM
i need a new lid - might pop down and see if i can squeeze into a xxxxxxxxs or xxxxxxxxxxxxxxl

Col
08-03-12, 01:11 PM
Regards this auction:- These are what were left in the shops when Whites went ping. There are a couple of last year models unregistered and in total appears to be c.115 lots scooters,125,--apparently the list is available on-line :P

They have reserves ...why on older lots I have no idea and it starts at 9.00 Saturday ...way too early for usual auctions..with so few lots would think they'd be finished easily by 2p.m. unless they babble on for ages

Nikki
08-03-12, 03:51 PM
I suspect it will be very busy as it is all over the internet and probably in MCN, the world and has wife will be there looking for a bargain. It would not surprise me if some of the bikes go for more than book price

Yep its in MCN :)

Full page ad showing the same old GW's stock. What's the bets its all xxxs and xxxl

Ade
09-03-12, 12:05 AM
Went to look at the bikes today.

Reserves aren't very high e.g. 2011 new shape ZX10R with about 4k miles ...reserve is £6k.

There are three 10/11 plate VFR1200's with £7k reserves and about 5 XJ6 Diversions 10 / 11 plate with low mileage and all have £3k reserves.

HOWEVER, lots of traders have been to look at bikes though and Administrators are going to try and get as much as they can for them.
Apparently, some are also being sold on behalf of finance companies.

Bike auction starts at 9am Sat and terms are that you pay the winning bid price on hammer ... no auction commission on top.
Terms are ......Deposit of £1,000 by cash or card required on day of auction for winning bid on each bike unless sold for less ... (there are some machines with less than £1k reserves) ... and balance to be paid and bike collected within 3 days of auction.

Dabz
09-03-12, 08:28 AM
thanks Ade, that's exactly the info I've been trying to find out all week - can't believe they haven't included it on the website!

I'm now going to give this a miss for 2 reasons - 1 I may get trigger happy with the bidding and large credit card limit, and 2, I'm hoping to spend the time working on the bike I've already bought trying to make it work :P Plus my brother's bringing my nephew down for a visit :)

Mikkie1986
09-03-12, 03:09 PM
Whos going to GW's then?

Honda Swindon
Showroom stock arrived today.. Was Building them all at 8 am this morning!!!!
Blade Honda Swindon will be Semi open tomorrow and a new burger/ breakfast van will be at the Blade site...Triumph, MV, Victory, My shop and now Honda.

Not forgetting Nooj is here aswell tomorrow!

:)

Dabz
09-03-12, 03:16 PM
sounds good - we may head up your way next weekend mate - provided I get my bike fixed!

Swanny
09-03-12, 04:12 PM
Someone should buy the coffee machine from GW's
Great tasting coffee and it was only 20p a cup 8-)

Ade
09-03-12, 04:56 PM
Someone should buy the coffee machine from GW's
Great tasting coffee and it was only 20p a cup 8-)

It may be being included in the auction. !!!!

Actually .. they are auctioning at some stage the workshop equipment / tools ... or some of it at least... but not sure if that is tomorrow too (Sat).

benobiker
09-03-12, 05:40 PM
Had a snoop round today also. Felt sad seeing all the desks and PC's for sale as well. Monitors with personalised things on them like notes and sticky toys. Just made me feel sorry for all those who lost their jobs. I hope everyone manages to find new employment. Also did spot the gixxer 1000 with only 1300 odd miles on it.. guessing it is their demo with that mileage on it. No one would ever part with their gixxer at 1300 miles??! How could you?? Its against the law!

Also would imagine it would help to provide more info on the non running Ducati 749s at £2,600. Is it a minor wiring issue or a blown engine? I wouldnt want to gauge it's fault by its reserve! That could end up being v expensive. Mind you, it had the most people round it when I was there. When a non runner Ducati is not Italian for bargain!

Swanny
09-03-12, 07:32 PM
Dunno how I'm going to get the coffee machine home, don't think it will fit on the back of my bike :-?

Swanny
09-03-12, 07:40 PM
Anyone from Trogtown riding to GW's tomorrow morning???

gibbo
09-03-12, 09:22 PM
Went round there today. Spoke to an ex mechanic who worked for GW's. He was handing out a list with all the bikes to be auctioned. He informed me that the auction starts at 10am, the main shop opens at 9am.
All the bikes have reserve prices on them and the new ones are subject to VAT. e.g Lot 113 VFR800 Crossrunner, reserve £7,500 plus VAT is £9,126. Not much saving there.
Could be some good buys on used stuff though.

Flying Half-Dutchman
10-03-12, 11:24 AM
It's mental down at GW today! The autojumble part is cash only, so bring plenty along. I'll be back there once i've been to the cash machine!

goz1960
10-03-12, 11:32 AM
Is it the normal only got xxxs and xxxl

spudgun
10-03-12, 01:06 PM
big queues, some stuff seemed to be priced higher than when they were open normally, some bargains to be had.

I couldn't be a***d to queue, so used the theory that it will all be available when they open up under the new name!

Walked down to Triumph to get the kids a burger, which was probably quicker than the food queue at GW's

clubberxx
10-03-12, 01:21 PM
Still manic at GW but were all sat down at Triumph in the sun chilling...if anyone wants to pop down... 8-) 8-) 8-)

RedSoul
10-03-12, 03:29 PM
What a nightmare at george whites....queued up for 30 mins with some alpine gloves which were not priced and when eventually got to check-out the numpty told me to join the other (3hr queue)as man there knows the prices lol.In my usual very polite manner lol i told him i am not moving and for him to find out the price.5 mins later numpty boy informs me of the price which was £20.00 dearer than fowlers so i will leave it to your imagination as to where i told him to stick the gloves
On a better note we had a good time catching up with some wiltshirebiker friends at triumph and enjoying a hot-dog and coffee.

Swanny
10-03-12, 06:10 PM
I bought a topbox for the Honda, bargain for £20 but need a rack and mounting kit now :-/

Asked the price of a scottoiler and was told it's £89 less 20% so still more expensive than fleabay :(

goz1960
10-03-12, 06:16 PM
Went over for an hour with a friend, will return when it settles down to many people and queues for me.

Nooj
10-03-12, 06:29 PM
Couldn't believe the number of people that turned out for this! At 08:50 the carpark was packed SOLID with people standing waiting for the doors to open :o

Glad I was at Blades instead, thanks to the good WB folk who wandered round the back of the shop where I was working to come and say hello :)

Rossio
11-03-12, 05:26 AM
So did anyne treat them self?? :)

Mitch9128
11-03-12, 08:10 AM
I bought a topbox for the Honda, bargain for £20 but need a rack and mounting kit now :-/

Asked the price of a scottoiler and was told it's £89 less 20% so still more expensive than fleabay :(

Buy a second hand pillion seat off Ebay, bolt it to that.

Swanny
11-03-12, 09:07 AM

Thanks but the GF likes to sit there :D

Mitch9128
11-03-12, 05:58 PM

Thanks but the GF likes to sit there :D

Put her in the box?

Swanny
11-03-12, 06:59 PM
Good thinking ;D

stretchie_
12-03-12, 12:23 PM
I went up to Swindon on Saturday morning to check out the excitement at George Whites or as it’s now called MotorcycleSuperDooperMegaAwesomeDiscountVillage.

Got there about 09:00 and sat down with a nice bacon butty and a cup of tea after meeting SquashedFly in the queue, after all, a good breakfast is the best way to start the day. I just sat outside chatting to people while I waited for my mate to turn up (Squirrel Hunter on here) and then went looking around. The big hall they had all the clothes in was where all the bikes that were being auctioned off were, and they all had the keys in so people could sit on the bikes and not have to make brum brum noises which was nice, there were also all the clothing racks and desks and pc’s and things in the corner which all had prices on.

The two buildings on the other side of the road were in full use too, the Honda one was full of plastic boxes with different things on and the boxes were marked up with the prices of the kit inside, so everything in this box £5. Indicators, stickers, reflective bibs, rim tape all that kind of stuff and along the far side of the wall was lots of clothing, a lot at good prices some not much different than what they were.

In the main building where all the new bikes used to be was chock full of new clothing, I was tempted to buy some motorcycle jeans but just could bring myself to do it. A lot of stuff wasn’t massively cheaper, paddocks stands for about £10 cheaper but the queue literally went from the font of the building, snaked a bit around the centre part and then right along to the back of the building and then some, to me it wasn't worth queing up unless you got a free bacon roll and a massage thrown in.

HOWEVER…. I did see a fantastic bike, and it was a Thundercat, and at this point I have to confess (and hope my girlfriend does not read this) I fell in love with a woman that no only had I not met, I hadn’t even SEEN.

You can keep your tarty GSXR’s (no offense), and shove your immaculately kept CBR RR’s with carbon covers and wavey disks, and you can leave your chromosexual bikes out in the rain to rust, this Thundercat is what turns me on in a bike.

It was a red example, well you can’t have everything, and it was prepped as a real ‘users’ bike and had 62k on the clocks. I was drooling over this for a while in the hope that the lady who rode it would come and speak to me but it never happened. I am guessing it was a lady’s bike as it was plastered in roller derby stickers, enough words, you want pictures. (This really was the only bike that I really got excited about and there were a lot of bikes there)

From the right
Check it out, on both sides there is a wind break for the legs, on this side I'm presuming a toolbox attached to the pannier bracket, top box, every bike should have one, raised grips, something attached to the underside of the mirror, cannot remember if this was a reflector of a light/indicator and a bracket for something under the headlight, I have no idea what it's for but imagined for a light or something for when camping or a camera maybe???

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/IMAG0442.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/IMAG0446.jpg

From the front

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/IMAG0443.jpg

From the left

Headset connection, big horn for those "Pick a f'in lane" or "Put your phone down and try indicating" moments

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/IMAG0444.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/IMAG0445.jpg

From behind

Loving the ducktail attached to the bottom of the plate to stop the panniers getting full of crap when the weather crappy, and a few straps and bungies for when you just have to carry more crap than you thought.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/IMAG0447.jpg

So, whoever you are, you're my kind of girl and I love your bike and wish I could have said hello

Dabz
12-03-12, 12:32 PM
that's very...erm...decorated

supermancss
12-03-12, 12:34 PM
Needs a clean

stretchie_
12-03-12, 12:38 PM
that's very...erm...decorated

Needs a clean

It's perfect...

[smiley=laugh.gif]

Nikki
12-03-12, 01:20 PM
Made me smile - you should have left a note of the bike ;) :)

From a lady rider who rides 'a tarty GSXR' ;D ;D

Swanny
12-03-12, 01:32 PM
leg guards :o

stretchie_
12-03-12, 01:42 PM

[smiley=embarassed.gif] I hope you LURVE your Gixxer [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Screams of motorway miles doesn't it, I'd love to know how much better that makes it, HOWEVER, the stickers did say london Roller Derby so maybe they were to protect the legs from the idiots that drive in Londinium. Hmmm, I wonder if they stick out enough to grind????

[smiley=evil.gif]

Nikki
12-03-12, 02:07 PM

[smiley=embarassed.gif] I hope you LURVE your Gixxer [smiley=embarassed.gif]

[smiley=evil.gif]

I do ;D

Actually I'm probably the least likely person you'd ever imagine riding a Gixer and until a few days ago I would have called it tarty too.

The rider of that old Yamaha may just surprise you :o ;D

Col
12-03-12, 02:18 PM
no parking ticket then ;D

Mitch9128
14-03-12, 11:45 AM
The general concensus i am getting elsewhere, is this Megamotorcycles outfit are a fly by night, as soon as all the bankrupt stock is gone, so will they be. Anyone care to comment?

stretchie_
14-03-12, 11:49 PM
Funny you should say that, I overheard a fella in the Indian tonight talking to his mates. Said he turned up for work there to find the doors locked when it all happened, and that there was no warning that it would happen that way, then went on to say the 'private investor' was the previous big bosses/owners mate and they want to make it work again.

I find it funny that, (and at this point I'd like to say I am fully aware that I am an outsider without all the facts), they got rid of the staff but kept the management team.

Would the accountability for it going under in the first place rest with the working staff or the decision making management team?

Which would YOU keep?

Just a thinker for you, I have no idea myself and this is just an idea based on mumblings overheard in a public place

(Sit on the fence???? ME???? With my reputation......)

Mitch9128
15-03-12, 07:00 AM
"1 - they are only selling off all the old FT/Motrax stuff they got stuck with when FT went under, plus a few old line things from the other manufacturers. No new A* boots, for instance. 2 - the contact number is a mobile number, disguised as a non-mobile number by having a 4 digit dialling code. 3 - the copyright is not held by a company - this would appear to be a sole trader/partnership."

wiltshire builders
15-03-12, 08:25 AM
They're designed so that, in the event of an accident, you break your leg at the knee so you can never walk again. Quite clever really.

gibbo
15-03-12, 09:44 AM
Heard that they made £30,000 in sales on Saturday alone excluding auctioned off bikes.
Not all the bikes were sold. About 20+ odd left.
It's a very sad place now, but at least the 20p coffee machine is still there but in a different place.
Bad mistake ripping out the cafe area. Good for attracting business.
Took a look inside Blade Honda. It's early days for them so perhaps it will improve. F*****g freezing in there. Hope it improves with time.