PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go for tyres? Melksham/Devizes

stretchie_
24-05-11, 03:22 PM
Just a quick question to see what you local guys do for tyres.

I've always taken loose wheels to ProTyre in Bristol and always got a good price and the only problem I've had is that only the tall beardy bloke there would knock the sprocket carrier all the way back in.

However, things have changed, now I live in Melksham and don't have a garage but I need to get some new boots and scrub them in before the Castle Combe bike safe.

Protyre is in Westbury and not so easy to get to unless I go on a Saturday, anywhere local to Melksham and/or Devizes for tyres that you can get tyres done easily?

To do loose wheels I'll have to leave the bike on stands outside in the garden and it's been quite windy recently, probably not enough to knock over a Black Bird but you never know, if I put it on a paddock stand at the back the front would still only be held up by blocks off wood under the exhaust.

So maybe ride in/ride out job, it'll cost an extra £40 ish but it'll be over a lot quicker.

What do you guys do?

Cheers

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 03:42 PM
Have a chat with Jaydee.... ;)

silly_simon
24-05-11, 05:26 PM
Try here (http://www.carsontyre.co.uk/)
or

WAYSIDE GARAGE ETCHILHAMPTON,
ETCHILHAMPTON,
DEVIZES,
WILTSHIRE
SN10 3JT
Phone : 01380 860272

squirrel_hunter
24-05-11, 06:23 PM
Bring it up to me. I'll give you the SV and get Bike Treads to do the tyres with the wheels off the bike...

stretchie_
24-05-11, 10:24 PM
Bring it up to me. I'll give you the SV and get Bike Treads to do the tyres with the wheels off the bike...

Two things:

A: You are NEVER getting my bike again
B: I like your avatar

; )

WUB YOU

stretchie_
25-05-11, 12:08 PM
Taking the wheels in to Melksham Tyre Supplies in the morning.

A pair of Storm Ultra 2's for £215 fitted to loose wheels.

Demonbaker
25-05-11, 03:57 PM
Wayside at etcilhampton every time for me. Used to use micheldever but found wayside cheaper and more helpfull.

bubblylittleme
25-05-11, 05:25 PM
Carson tyres at Bowerhill do bike tyres too

squirrel_hunter
25-05-11, 05:55 PM

Two things:

A: You are NEVER getting my bike again
B: I like your avatar

; )

WUB YOU

A: That sounds like a challenge.
B: It suits me better...

Marmalade
23-06-11, 11:18 AM
Carson tyres at Bowerhill do bike tyres too

But don't answer their phone >:(

Marmalade
23-06-11, 11:31 AM
Eventually got an answer, all good but....

Mark At Wayside garage sounds like an absolute star :)

Dabz
23-06-11, 12:01 PM
carson's are awesome, well worth a visit

BB
23-06-11, 12:32 PM
Yup, Carsons at Bowerhill Melksham. Has done exellent deals for me for both bike and car in the last month [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Marmalade
23-06-11, 10:57 PM
Had an 020 fitted at Wayside for £105. He changed the tyre while I changed the pads.

stretchie_
13-03-12, 10:55 AM
Hiya, just wondering if there have been any other places come up in the past year, need tyres again for the BlackBird.

Going to ring Carson and Wayside for a quote but thought I'd ask incase anyone has started using someone else?

Cheers

Nikki
13-03-12, 11:06 AM
Hiya, just wondering if there have been any other places come up in the past year, need tyres again for the BlackBird.

Going to ring Carson and Wayside for a quote but thought I'd ask incase anyone has started using someone else?

Cheers

I've used Carson several times over the past few months and wouldnt go anywhere else now. They are really helpful, great service and look after your bike well. Always found prices are fair there. Nice clean waiting area with drinks and mags too which is really nice (even had a tin of Quality Street on the table when I went last time ;D)

Dabz
13-03-12, 11:15 AM
Carson Tyres - they advertise at the bottom of the forum. Great service!

stretchie_
13-03-12, 11:43 AM
Cheers guys, just an update incase it's of any use to you, here's a couple of quotes for a pair of Avon Storm 2 Ultra's for the BlackBird (120/70 R17 and 180/55 R17)

Company ------ Fit to Bike ------- Loose wheels

Carson ----------£245 ----------------£215
Wayside ---------£233 ---------------£222
Protyre ----------£233.51 ------------£233.51 No difference for loose wheels any more he said??
Blackcircles -- I think this is just for the tyres to be delivered --£216

So far Carson are in the lead at £215

Ade
13-03-12, 12:55 PM
Could also try Steve Lynham Motorcycles in Swindon.
Storm 2 Ultras fitted last Sept £220 ... ride in ride out. (Same size tyres as yours)

JohnS
13-03-12, 04:16 PM
I couldn't fault Carson Tyres! They did an excellent job on my bike & car and my girlfriends car drove like new once they had changed the front tyres and re-aligned all the wheels! Thoroughly recommended by me! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

stretchie_
14-03-12, 11:35 PM
Cool, thanks.

Going to ring Carson tomorrow and hopefully get them done on Friday, all a bit last minute but starting a week Friday me and the ball n chain are off on the bike for a week and a bit around Wales, up to Manchester or Preston/Blackpool to my parents or sisters house and then we'll base ourselves at the bottom of the lakes for a few days and take in a couple routes before coming back, still got tread on the current tyres but not confident there's enough for the whole trip, this way I can scrub them in before we set off.

Looks like I just bought an Autocom too, hope it arrives so I can fit it over the weekend.

Thanks for all your help

BB
16-03-12, 07:29 AM
Carsons locally for me. :)

BB

stretchie_
16-03-12, 09:31 AM
Just dropped the wheels off at Carson's this moring and will bang them back on tonight

Cheers guys

Numpty_Dumpty
17-03-12, 06:57 PM
Carson are excellent. Have been there twice now. Excellent service and supplied and fitted tyre for less than I could buy it online.

They tend not to keep motorcycle tyres in stock, but can order for next day

No brainer really.

rollsroyce
18-03-12, 05:33 PM
the guy at Carlson (admittedly 2 years ago) put my fireblade back tyre in wrong and then denied it, as if i would take off the tyre and put it on wrong ?

t1pper
18-03-12, 10:23 PM
Got a quote from Protyre and Carsons on saturday for the rear on my GSXR, Protyre were cheaper by £2, and said they could fit the same day as long as I got there at a resonable time.

Carsons said I would have to make an appointment for monday as they were fully booked but would reserve the tyre if needed.

Made an appiontment with Protyre and arrived 1.5 hours before closing as requested, hung around a bit only to be told would not have time to fit as they were now too busy. :( >:( :(

I have used wayside and have been pleased with the sevice in the past but as I live in Melksham I will give Carson a go tomorrow.

stretchie_
19-03-12, 11:00 AM
I used to use Protyre all the time, in Bristol a couple years ago when I lived that way and they were always cheaper.

In this case they would have been cheaper (Westbury I think) for ride in/out but £15 more for me to drop the wheels off and have to go out of my way to do it too.

I live just on the other side of Melksham from Carson so dropped them off on my way to work and picked them up on my way home.

Sorted, still would have been nicer if they only cost £15 for a pair [smiley=wink.gif]

t1pper
20-03-12, 08:31 PM
I had a tyre fitted at Carsons tonight, very professional and polite service, I would use them again.