PDA

View Full Version : Bike tax and the budget

Swanny
21-03-12, 12:54 PM
My bike tax is due at the end of the month which means I can buy it today.
Now I'm probably being stupid in hoping that he may put it down.
So should I buy it now or wait till after the budget??? :-/

Nikki
21-03-12, 12:59 PM
My bike tax is due at the end of the month which means I can buy it today.
Now I'm probably being stupid in hoping that he may put it down.
So should I buy it now or wait till after the budget??? :-/

I'd wait :)

Nelly
21-03-12, 01:00 PM
Wouldn't really matter either way. If he puts it down he's gonna syphon your pockets in another department anyway ;D

Swanny
21-03-12, 01:02 PM
12 Months tax costs £53.00 for my bike

We all know bikes are more economical and therefore should have their tax reduced or removed but when has the government ever helped us? >:(

spudgun
21-03-12, 01:08 PM
it could go up!

Swanny
21-03-12, 01:09 PM
Think I'll gamble and wait :D

Nelly I'm going to run out of pockets soon :-[

spudgun
21-03-12, 01:39 PM
no change :)

Nikki
21-03-12, 02:09 PM
According to the budget report on the HM Treasury site -

2.147 Vehicle excise duty (VED) rates 2012–13 – From 1 April 2012, VED rates will increase in line with the RPI, apart from VED rates for Heavy Goods Vehicles which will be frozen in 2012–13. (Finance Bill 2012) (25)

Cant see anything specific about bikes so assume they will be subject to the RPI increase.

garvey2003
21-03-12, 04:16 PM
Mines due to, Ill buy mine next week

Swanny
21-03-12, 05:15 PM
I thought they said it would go up by the rate of inflation??
I bought it a moment ago for £53 plus £2.50 for using a credit card >:(

Red Zed 1
21-03-12, 11:43 PM
I thought they said it would go up by the rate of inflation??
I bought it a moment ago for £53 plus £2.50 for using a credit card >:(
no charge for using a debit card.. :)

Swanny
22-03-12, 10:58 AM
Yea but I don't trust using a debit card on the internet :-/

Ducatista
22-03-12, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure there is any difference.
But you can always pay by post or at a post office.

Red Zed 1
22-03-12, 10:30 PM
Yea but I don't trust using a debit card on the internet :-/
but you're happy to use a credit card..not really any difference in my honest opinion,and the website is usually quite secure...never had any problems using debit card on any site so long as it is secure..although i do try to use paypal when i can :)

Swanny
23-03-12, 12:23 AM
The way I understand it is that hackers could empty your bank account if they had your debit card details but not your credit card. :-/

Kes123
23-03-12, 07:59 AM
The way I understand it is that hackers could empty your bank account if they had your debit card details but not your credit card. :-/

They could also run you up a massive credit card bill ::)

Using a debit card these days has the same protection as a credit card ;)

Jon_W
23-03-12, 08:09 AM

Not so. I had an issue over xmas with a debit payment and was informed that there would have been no issue if I had payed by credit card, but as I payed by debit they'd [the bank] have to review by case on it's individually.

Snowy
23-03-12, 09:19 AM

Not so. I had an issue over xmas with a debit payment and was informed that there would have been no issue if I had payed by credit card, but as I payed by debit they'd [the bank] have to review by case on it's individually.

My memory is a little faded from when I last looked into this so do your own research. There are two Debit card schemes running, Visa Debit and Maestro Debit. Visa Debit allows you to make a claim if goods or services are damaged or not delivered. This is much the same as with a credit card however, its a scheme that Visa operates and does not therefore have substance in law. A credit card is covered under the Consumer Credit Act and gives the same protection backed up by an Act of Parliament.

Maestro Debit is not backed by any scheme giving you any real protection so it would be up to you to prove fraud with your bank. I had to do this once and ended up paying a £50 fee against a £1,600 loss.

I now have a Visa Debit and Visa Credit card so use either depending on the transaction.

Swanny
23-03-12, 10:19 AM
I don't risk online banking either :P

Jon_W
23-03-12, 01:00 PM
I don't risk online banking either :P

Ditto. Am a little wary of it after some of the horror stories.