PDA

View Full Version : Compulsary excess

wiltshire builders
22-03-12, 07:31 AM
The last few years i've seen my insurance come down but my excess go up.
£650 seems to be the standard at the moment. Has anyone else had this?

Jon_W
22-03-12, 07:47 AM
:o

You have a hight excess!!!! My insurance and excess has stayed about the same over the last few years.

Senna(Dan)
22-03-12, 07:56 AM
Mine has dropped every year, I'm now at £150 compulsary for mine.

Dabz
22-03-12, 08:26 AM
mine's gone up over the last few years, but I don't know whether that's because I've gone from an £800 bike to a £5500 one, or whether it's the general insurance industry. Comments here suggest the former!

Ducatista
22-03-12, 08:30 AM
I suspect it's because insurers want to provide the cheapest quote to get the business as many people will simply choose the cheapest quote.
Often the only way to acheive this is to cut back somewhere.

So be aware, cheapest is not always best.

Other issues could be expensive phone numbers, expensive charges, reduced cover (e.g. removal of driving/riding other vehicles), charges for using a different garage, use of reconditioned parts etc.

Cheapest is not always best and you need to be dilligent about what you are purchasing.

Kevinb
22-03-12, 08:48 AM
If you are shopping online try a few values for your compulsary excess as you might find your premium doesn't change as you move the excess down or at least only go up a bit. I do it for car, bike and house insurance. Also make sure your don't overstate your annual mileage as this will affect premiums. Sometimes your can change your mileage without affecting premiums. My car it didn't make a difference whether I put 6k or 10k miles into the calculator

spudgun
22-03-12, 09:35 AM
my renewal has come through this week and i noticed the £700 excess (was £250) - a quick look on a comparison site and i found a cheaper renewal with half the excess

Mitch9128
22-03-12, 10:12 AM
3 endorsements on my license, and last year it was £140 fully comp for the 9r, £250 excess. This year, £360 with the endorsements and a non fault claim, on the 929, and a £450 excess, i tested it without the non-fault claim, and it was £180, £250 excess, sheeting hell.

Ducatista
22-03-12, 10:35 AM
Have you thought about claiming back the increased premium from the liable party?

Mitch9128
22-03-12, 12:30 PM
Have you thought about claiming back the increased premium from the liable party?

At me?

According to my solicitors, a non fault should not affect my insurance, they reckon this is not claimable, which is obviously b*ll*cks.

Ducatista
22-03-12, 01:02 PM
According to my solicitors, a non fault should not affect my insurance, they reckon this is not claimable, which is obviously b*ll*cks.

b*ll*cks on both counts (at least they have a full set of b*ll*cks).
You are entitled to be put back inot the same financial position had the accident not happened.
This can be added to your uninsured losses.
The only stumbling block might be if you've signed something in "full and final" settlement.
Otherwise add it on to your claim.

Of course you will have to provide proof that the increase is solely a result of the non-fault claim but that shouldn't be hard. Quote with and quote without should be simple enough.

Rabb
22-03-12, 01:35 PM
Do what I do every year.
The insurance companies have no loyalty to you as a customer; so I have not shown any loyalty for at least 14 years!
Shop around every year and find the insurance company that is 'touting' for business - this will give you not only the best price but also the best terms and conditions too.
I have been 'chopping & changing' on every type of insurance for at least 14 years (and it has saved me a fortune)

It will take a couple of hours of your time to get what you need and require.
- Take the time ; it's well worth it..........

Mitch9128
22-03-12, 02:27 PM

b*ll*cks on both counts (at least they have a full set of b*ll*cks).
You are entitled to be put back inot the same financial position had the accident not happened.
This can be added to your uninsured losses.
The only stumbling block might be if you've signed something in "full and final" settlement.
Otherwise add it on to your claim.

Of course you will have to provide proof that the increase is solely a result of the non-fault claim but that shouldn't be hard. Quote with and quote without should be simple enough.

Sorry to hijack WB :)

Yeah i thought the same, still waiting on medical records/assesments for the injury claim, had bike and gear paid out, could be months before i get to that bit, but i will demand they add it.

Snowy
22-03-12, 02:47 PM
Do what I do every year.
The insurance companies have no loyalty to you as a customer; so I have not shown any loyalty for at least 14 years!
Shop around every year and find the insurance company that is 'touting' for business - this will give you not only the best price but also the best terms and conditions too.
I have been 'chopping & changing' on every type of insurance for at least 14 years (and it has saved me a fortune)

It will take a couple of hours of your time to get what you need and require.
- Take the time ; it's well worth it..........

Agreed - I do this every year for cars and bikes. It's also worth going back to your current insurer to see if they will match or better a quote you have. They won't always but I have had some that will. It makes you mad because you would think they should give this to you in the first place, however, it might be easier to stick with them if they match a price because there's less paperwork involved in not switching.

I'm waiting for my annual renewal to pop through the post so will see if Ms Nash wants my business two years running ;D

Ducatista
22-03-12, 02:56 PM
I had a good renewal quote from Carole Nash.
It was a bargain considering it includes European breakdown (£138?).
They have also been very good on mods and also cover me 3rd party for other bikes and are ok with observing/tutoring.
Pretty good cover all round.

I also do know of someone who had a broken leg in France and Carole Nash were apparently good.
They spoke to friends when he was incapacitated (I can imagine some firms being picky about data protection even if the policyholder is incapacitated).

We however need to get multi-bike AND multi-rider insurance, so if anyone has any good recommendation on that then that would be good.

Snowy
22-03-12, 03:17 PM
I had a good renewal quote from Carole Nash.
It was a bargain considering it includes European breakdown (£138?).
They have also been very good on mods and also cover me 3rd party for other bikes and are ok with observing/tutoring.
Pretty good cover all round.

I also do know of someone who had a broken leg in France and Carole Nash were apparently good.
They spoke to friends when he was incapacitated (I can imagine some firms being picky about data protection even if the policyholder is incapacitated).

We however need to get multi-bike AND multi-rider insurance, so if anyone has any good recommendation on that then that would be good.

My premium last year with CN on a multibike policy was £190 fully comp with max NCB protection, legal cover etc. That includes 3 months european cover as standard and 15K miles a year spread across the bikes. I don't know about multi rider though - have you asked them? CN were easy to deal with in regards all the options I added to the policy - they just load the premium by 10% which I thought was quite reasonable.

Ducatista
22-03-12, 03:38 PM
I don't know about multi rider though - have you asked them?

Yes. I can not have multi-bike AND multi rider with Carole Nash.
So I can add another bike onto the policy, but could not then add on another rider.
We are both in that position and we want to share a bike.
We can both have mult-rider OR multi-bike but not both.
We are not allowed to both insure it.

They did tell me however that I can ride the other bike 3rd party on the general extension.
That's an option I am considering but it will be my touring bike, so I need to make sure I can ride it abroad on the 3rd party extension and be covered for breakdown/recovery.
I think that's the case but obviously I'd need to check that with them before leaving the country.

We probably need to get some quotes for multibike AND multi rider and see whether the cost is warranted, compared with the much easier - one of us ride one of the bikes 3rd party (which is what both our current insurers told us to do).

I never imagined this would be so tricky.
I mean spouses share cars all the time.

Jon_W
23-03-12, 07:50 AM
I have multibike and find it very good value.

Ducatista
23-03-12, 10:34 AM
I have multibike and find it very good value.

Who with?
and is it multi-rider as well.

We are currently looking at ebike insurance which may solve our problem. We could ride 2 bikes at once on the same policy.

Jon_W
23-03-12, 12:29 PM
Carole Nash. Not multi rider, but has a classic on there and includes commuting.

Squashed_Fly
23-03-12, 03:15 PM
I've yet to speak to an insurance company that will price match, so best bet is to 'compare the meerkat'.

At least then you get a free cuddly toy that's worth £25 on ebay ;)

I've sold 2 meerkats now, bike & pet insurance. Will do my home & car insurance as well with them so that's £100 back for using their site!

Ducatista
23-03-12, 09:51 PM
In case anyone else is interested in this scenario, we have found that ebikeinsurance (.co.uk) can cover up to 4 bikes AND 4 riders on the same policy.
I am pretty sure you only get one lot of NCB though.

Geordie Stu
24-03-12, 10:24 AM
I must admit. I've not checked my excess, but insurance has come down.

Ducatista
25-03-12, 09:43 AM
BTW - just thought I'd add that you can often pay a bit more to bring down the excess.
We just looked at ebike and it was set high (£450?) no doubt to appear competitive.
It wasn't very expensive to bring the excess down.

So I still think they are setting it high as a default, to be as competitive as possible, but it often doesn't mean you are stuck with that.