PDA

View Full Version : I have got the horn!

benobiker
19-03-12, 07:46 PM
check this out, have just ordered one. To be honest after the morons I have encountered on the road on the last two days these puppies should come as standard on every bike!

http://screaming-banshee.com/

Geordie Stu
19-03-12, 07:58 PM
That should do the trick....! [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Snowy
19-03-12, 08:12 PM
The horn unit looks like a Stebel Nautilus which is about £35 off ebay or Halfords etc. I'm not sure I would want my high beam to operate at the same time as the horn. My worry would be that car drivers might pull out infront of you or turn across your path thinking you are giving them the OK to go which is what they think you are telling them they can do.

Morticia
19-03-12, 08:15 PM
Sounds like a train at a level crossing, I want one!

benobiker
19-03-12, 08:23 PM
I'll let you know what it is like when it is fitted!

benobiker
19-03-12, 08:24 PM
The horn unit looks like a Stebel Nautilus which is about £35 off ebay or Halfords etc. I'm not sure I would want my high beam to operate at the same time as the horn. My worry would be that car drivers might pull out infront of you or turn across your path thinking you are giving them the OK to go which is what they think you are telling them they can do.

yeah fair point there but it will only do that if you press and hold to activate the full horn, not just the normal horn.

wiltshire builders
19-03-12, 08:28 PM
I can't think of a single situation that would warant it.
By the time you've seen the danger, decided to use the horn, used it, their reaction time and then their action you could've easily taken evasive action.
By the time a horn is used the danger is normally gone.
All you would be doing was alerting someone that they nearly hit you.

benobiker
19-03-12, 09:06 PM
Yes and also given some of the drivers round here, it would erm how do i put it... oh yes wake the tw*ts up!

Jon_W
20-03-12, 07:48 AM
By the time you've seen the danger, decided to use the horn, used it, their reaction time and then their action you could've easily taken evasive action.
All you would be doing was alerting someone that they nearly hit you.

You never ridden down London Road in Bath!!!

I use the horn to prevent an incident. If the driver in the car gives me a V then fine, at least they've seen me!!!!

Nooj
20-03-12, 12:05 PM
A horn is a warning that you're going to be there in a bit, not a rebuke, although it can be a good stress relief if you've encountered a real twunt :P

I have the mini Nautalus and it sounds like the two-tone horns fitted to the 60's and 70's Ferarris, so I think it's suits my Aprilia in a noisy shouty Italian kind of way ;D

Nikki
20-03-12, 12:15 PM

Maybe that's cos you're going too fast ;D ;D

Ducatista
20-03-12, 12:33 PM

As others have said, you're clearly using it too late, or bombing around too fast for the situation.

Snowy
20-03-12, 12:53 PM
The horn is useful in anticipation of an event not after it's happened. My K bike has twin hi/lo Fiamm airhorns as original fitment, the GSA's was rubbish, so has had the full treatment with Stebel Magnum hi/lo's which are 139Db - frightens the life out of MOT testers ;D You need a separate relay for these as they pull a lot of amps with a trigger from the OEM horn wiring.

wiltshire builders
20-03-12, 04:36 PM

As others have said, you're clearly using it too late, or bombing around too fast for the situation.
I hardly ever use my horn. If you have to it's usually because you aren't able to asses a danger properly.
I would much rather get on the brakes/take evasive action and live than alert someone that they're in the wrong as they hit me.
The moral high ground counts for dick if there's 3 tonnes of transit ontop of you.

redken1
20-03-12, 05:15 PM

I hardly ever use my horn. If you have to it's usually because you aren't able to asses a danger properly.
I would much rather get on the brakes/take evasive action and live than alert someone that they're in the wrong as they hit me.
The moral high ground counts for dick if there's 3 tonnes of transit ontop of you.

What's a horn? :P
I'm deaf and usually wearing ear plugs so wouldn't hear one anyway.

Snowy
20-03-12, 06:32 PM

Once "they" are on the move I would agree its best to deal with the danger first and avoid a collision. However, the use of the horn is beneficial at times as another form of defence before they make that move. I will use it if there's a car waiting to join the main road I'm on and I know they have'nt seen me and my sixth sense is telling me they are about to pull out. I will also take up a defensive position in the road, be off the power and usually on the brakes as well. Its just one of a number of things you can do. I think a lot of people ignore the fact they have one because most OEM horns are useless in terms of decibel level.

Rooter
21-03-12, 07:36 AM
Remember how the Highway Code defines a horn: 'A warning instrument'.

As such it is a useful addition to the tools we have to prevent an accident. Anyone who does not use one, almost as a matter of principle, is probably not riding as well as they could.

Evasive action and defensive riding are all very well, but a horn warns of danger, and potentially averts it, because the sound travels ahead of the motorcycle. It can be like someone riding ahead of you...

For instance, if used in advance of a turning or bend, it can cause a car about to pull out to halt. Much better than having to affect stability of the bike by swerving or braking...Which is not to say of course that it makes those skills redundant..

In the end, like most things in life, there is no simple answer, but I use my Stebel regularly and freely (as taught by the police rider who examined me for my IAM test).

There's also the argument that in waking up a dozy driver you make the road safer for the next biker. People are less likely to disregard something that can 'bite back'.

Not saying it should be used aggressively, but letting people know you have a (loud) voice is a good thing when you are a vulnerable two wheeler. 8-)

Just my 2 pennies worth... and only one opinion.

Ducatista
21-03-12, 08:10 AM
If you have to it's usually because you aren't able to asses a danger properly.

I disagree with you there.

As has been pointed out many times, you don't do it as they hit you but before.
e.g. if someone is sitting at a junction on a minor road and you can clearly see they have their head turned the other way you might want to give them a cautionary polite "toot" before you pass to make them aware of your presence.
This is a million miles from "as they hit you".
The key word is anticipation.

We are in total agreement there.
But I'd "toot" before the danger starts whereas you see to want to wait until they've hit you ???????

Ducatista
21-03-12, 08:12 AM
I'm deaf and usually wearing ear plugs so wouldn't hear one anyway.

Very good point Ken.
We shouldn't assume that everyone will hear a horn.

Like snowy I would use a package of measures e.g. speed, position, right gear, observation etc. and not assume that a single technique is going to work every time.

Ducatista
21-03-12, 08:20 AM
Also just wanted to mention it can be a really bad idea to use a horn in some circumstance.

I did it once when someone pulled out on me and they braked in front of me.
Their car brakes were superior to my little bike at the time and I crashed into the back of them.
That's my fault because I didn't anticipate how they would react to my horn (emergency brake in front of me).

I can think of two near misses I've had in recent years where someone has pulled out in front of me.
On both occasions i did NOT use the horn and both times the vehicles moved allowing me to avoid them.

One of them could have been quite a serious T-bone.
A van pulled out on me from the apex of a bend and stopped in the road.
I put my brakes on but did NOT use the horn.
He moved on probably totally unaware of my presence and I was able to make a last minute avoidance manouvre behind the back of van as he'd moved off.
If I'd of used the horn in that situation he probably would have stopped blocking the entire road and looked for the danger and I would have T-boned the van causing death or serious injury.

So the horn needs to be used judiciously and you need to consider how other motorists are likely to respond and what effect that has on you.
In general they are going to spend a few potentially crucial seconds looking for where the sound is coming from and they may think they are helping by braking when the opposite may be true.

Rooter
21-03-12, 09:07 AM
Also just wanted to mention it can be a really bad idea to use a horn in some circumstance.

I did it once when someone pulled out on me and they braked in front of me.
Their car brakes were superior to my little bike at the time and I crashed into the back of them.
That's my fault because I didn't anticipate how they would react to my horn (emergency brake in front of me).

I can think of two near misses I've had in recent years where someone has pulled out in front of me.
On both occasions i did NOT use the horn and both times the vehicles moved allowing me to avoid them.

One of them could have been quite a serious T-bone.
A van pulled out on me from the apex of a bend and stopped in the road.
I put my brakes on but did NOT use the horn.
He moved on probably totally unaware of my presence and I was able to make a last minute avoidance manouvre behind the back of van as he'd moved off.
If I'd of used the horn in that situation he probably would have stopped blocking the entire road and looked for the danger and I would have T-boned the van causing death or serious injury.

So the horn needs to be used judiciously and you need to consider how other motorists are likely to respond and what effect that has on you.
In general they are going to spend a few potentially crucial seconds looking for where the sound is coming from and they may think they are helping by braking when the opposite may be true.

Completely agree. All of which proves that there's no one rule for all circumstances. Its a question of judgement. I tend to use the horn well in advance of a hazard, rather when the hazard is actually close... But each case is diffeent as Ducatista's experience shows..

Morticia
25-03-12, 06:56 PM

I sure can, all the time to have fun with it. Seriously, I've asked Steve a million times to fix a trucker's horn to my bike, would love to see people's faces when I pulled up at the Harp and sound my horn! ;D

Morticia
25-03-12, 07:02 PM

I use it a lot when taking my son to school. If I see a car approaching looking the other way, I beep to remind them to look and see me. It might be because Spain is a much noisier place, but my horn gets used a lot, as I find it warns people I'm coming. I don't think I've ever used it to have a go, just to, well, make some noise.

redken1
25-03-12, 07:09 PM
I thought it was just blokes that played with their horns.

:o ;D :P

Morticia
25-03-12, 07:20 PM
I thought it was just blokes that played with their horns.

:o ;D :P

LOL, should have known this was coming. I like my horn very much ;D

Swanny
26-03-12, 12:28 PM
Honk Honk 8-)

Geordie Stu
26-03-12, 05:10 PM
Nice 1 Ken. "What's a horn?
I'm deaf and usually wearing ear plugs so wouldn't hear one anyway".

;D ;D ;D