PDA

View Full Version : G M Stevens are brilliant

Nikki
26-03-12, 01:01 PM
For anyone that doesnt know if you ever need something urgently on a Sunday for your bike GM Stevens in Trowbridge are brilliant - http://www.nutz4bikes.co.uk/epages/BT3428.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3428/Categories/Our_Shop

Other half was doing the ritual new bike check-over on Sunday afternoon on my GSXR750 which had supposedly been serviced by a main dealer and lets just say the air filter hadnt been changed in a very long time anyway it was Sunday pm the tank was off and one quick call to Stevens a quick visit and I had a brand new air filter. So handy to have such a great shop on the doorstep which is open when you need it :)

Rooter
26-03-12, 01:18 PM
Yes, I agree - a bike shop like they used to be.

He lent me a tool to do a job once - how many places would do that?

And Sunday opening is a bonus since Phoenix can't be bothered and doesn't hold much anyway... I've been glad of them. And they do some bargain kit too.

Just wish GMS would put in a cafe in the car park (I know its not a new idea).
;)

Dabz
26-03-12, 01:30 PM
They're brilliant, always got the parts you need and open 7 days :D

BB
26-03-12, 01:35 PM
They are excellent up their - can't get that level of banter every where you know 8-)

They have had a couple of food vans in their car park over the years but presumably it doesn't pay.

BB

Kevinb
26-03-12, 01:52 PM
I do use then now and again, but find they don't discount in any way. They are very helpful and do stock or can get clothing even for people my size.
Pheonix are excellent even when my daughter does in they say 'Must be your dads birthday' and give her discount. No quibbles, excellent service and have not had any issues over the past years whether they had worked on my Yamaha, Triumph or Honda.

BB
26-03-12, 02:14 PM
Bath Classic members get discount on presentation of membership cards. 8-)

Phoenix have always been good to me too

BB

Dabz
26-03-12, 02:25 PM
The bath classic discount is handy, worth the membership fee!

Gerry
26-03-12, 03:39 PM
Big stock holding - agreed.
Great opening times - agreed
Helpful and friendly - 50% of the time.

The two gentlemen that run this (Brothers) ? Have been very different when I’ve dealt with them in the past, one helpful & friendly but the other unhelpful and unfriendly.

I think a typical “expert” in as much as if you don’t know exactly what you need , he will treat you like a dimwit, completely forgetting that it’s your money that pays his wages.

Last time I was in there (I was dealing with the nice 50%) he was being mildly sarcastic to a young guy who needed his help and advice.
As they told me that their bike business was 50% down on a year ago it will be interesting to see how he deals with his new customers who want to buy a handful of plastic beads and some string etc !

I know it’s not just me as I’ve a friend (who knows a lot more about bikes than I do) who only uses them as a last resort for the same reasons.

Pity...

G

Dabz
26-03-12, 03:46 PM
yeh gotta agree with that actually, one is nice, one is always grumpy.

Same in Pheonix - went in for a gasket the other week, first guy simply said "no sorry, we dont have anything that fits" and then the other guy heard, went and looked and within a minute had the right gasket. They'd have lost a sale down to pure laziness!

In this economy customer service is everything.

Having said that, you can't grumble at a shop with so much stock. When I snapped the Benly's throttle cable i went in saying "I doubt you'll have one, but I need a throttle cable to fit a 1981 honda cd200". sure enough they had one in stock :)

Jon_W
26-03-12, 03:52 PM
Bath Classic members get discount on presentation of membership cards. 8-)

Phoenix have always been good to me too

BB

Agreed with both.

Never had a problem with any of the guys in Stevens. Always have a chat to them (if there is time) and find them very friendly.

Nikki
26-03-12, 04:42 PM

The two gentlemen that run this (Brothers) ? Have been very different when I’ve dealt with them in the past, one helpful & friendly but the other unhelpful and unfriendly.

I think a typical “expert” in as much as if you don’t know exactly what you need , he will treat you like a dimwit, completely forgetting that it’s your money that pays his wages.

Last time I was in there (I was dealing with the nice 50%) he was being mildly sarcastic to a young guy who needed his help and advice.
As they told me that their bike business was 50% down on a year ago it will be interesting to see how he deals with his new customers who want to buy a handful of plastic beads and some string etc !

I know it’s not just me as I’ve a friend (who knows a lot more about bikes than I do) who only uses them as a last resort for the same reasons.

Pity...

G

Understand what you mean - the slightly older one definitely has much better customer skills ;) ;D

But still a brilliant place and hope it doesn't close down.

Geordie Stu
26-03-12, 05:04 PM
Good bunch & very helpful. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Thorkill_The_Tall
26-03-12, 10:00 PM

Pity...

G

Mike - probably the friendly one you mentioned - is a nice bloke but can be really away with the fairies sometimes.
This drives his little brother (Steve- the owner) to the point of distraction.
Depending on how much Mike has wound him up on any particular day, Steve can sometimes be a little short.
Don't take this too much to heart, as Steve is also a top bloke, who will generally do the best he can to help.

Just never show him a bolt and say "I want something exactly the same as this, but different." :)

Beamer
26-03-12, 10:04 PM
They were great when I went in to bulk order my indicator lens's hehe....they didnt laugh once hehe ::) ::) ::) ::)

Which reminds me.....I must pop in and make an order....only got 1 spare left hehe 8-) 8-) ::) ::)

t1pper
26-03-12, 11:31 PM
I found stevens very helpfull I would use them again, if you need the cheapest deals shop around on line, but remember you will expect to pay a bit extra to have the convenience of popping in on a sunday to collect a few essentuals.

I used Pheonix at the start of the year for a fixed price service and MOT on my R1 first rate job, they finished early and had a bit of spare time so they changed the brake fluids for good measure and did not charge me any extra. :) :) :)

Swanny
27-03-12, 12:35 AM
I always talk to the nice one not the grumpy one :)

Jon_W
27-03-12, 07:48 AM

Pity...

G

Mike - probably the friendly one you mentioned - is a nice bloke but can be really away with the fairies sometimes.
This drives his little brother (Steve- the owner) to the point of distraction.
Depending on how much Mike has wound him up on any particular day, Steve can sometimes be a little short.
Don't take this too much to heart, as Steve is also a top bloke, who will generally do the best he can to help.

Just never show him a bolt and say "I want something exactly the same as this, but different." :)

;D ;D ;D

Explains a lot!!!!!

Gerry
27-03-12, 09:54 AM
Pleased to know it’s not just me that seems to bring out the worst in the grumpy one

I’d pay good money to see him “help” the first veggie hippy type that can’t decide on whether to have six light blue beads and one big pink one - or three pink beads and two blue ones plus some sparkly teenie tiny buttons ;D ;D ;D

Hope he's not a gun owner :)

G

GM Stevens: http://www.creativehobbysupplies.co.uk/index.html

Last Train
27-03-12, 07:24 PM
Popped in to today for a few replacement bolts.

Top job

8-)