PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent, clipped by car!

Dan505
08-03-12, 09:05 PM
Was out for a little bimble and stopped at a three lane roundabout for traffic lights, i was in the middle of the middle lane minding my own business, when a BMW estate tried to squeeze between the car in the first lane and me! the result is the wan#&r couldn't fit and decided instead to clip me in the process! i didn't drop the bike which i'm proud of but when i shouted at him he jumped the lights and left! i was too much in shock to get the licence plate or think about following but can't believe their are still idiots like this on the roads today.... :o

Nelly
08-03-12, 09:11 PM
loads of em around. Keep your eyes peeled... >:(

Jacde
08-03-12, 09:20 PM
Well done for not dropping it, I most probably would have :(
You've not to let any one 'bully' you on the roads, you have as much right to be there as they do but some drivers will try, so well done for standing your ground.

Dan505
08-03-12, 09:28 PM
:o thanks, honestly speaking my confidence has taken a knock but think i'll be alright just more annoyed than anything else, i've used that lane countless times and always in the same position but have no idea why anyone would try to wedge in a gap like that next to a bike!
at least now i know that wing mirrors Vs squidgy man is not a contest i'll win :(

off_again
09-03-12, 07:33 AM
Sorry to hear that mate - good news on not dropping it, but there are some utter lunatics around.

I was happen to nip to Morrisons in Bath once. Spotted some dizzy tart smack a car in the car park. Didnt think too much about it but then noticed her driving away - ran red lights and nearly caused all sorts of accidents as she sped away.

Why would you do that? Other than having no insurance that is? And why have no insurance? Madness. Crazy morons.

NiteW4tcher
09-03-12, 08:25 AM
possibly bmw had no insurance......still doesnt excuse him from that moronic act.

ive been clipped similar and my confidence took a knock for a week or so.

you could do what my mate done when he got clipped.....followed the bloke and ripped him out the car @ the next lights.

but my m8 aint all there ;D and 6ft tall x 6ft wide ;D

lolliver
09-03-12, 09:40 AM
This has nearly happened to me in Bristol aswell! It's a horrible feeling, especially when they deliberately don't look at you afterwards because they're embarrassed/completely ignorant. >:(

Glad you weren't hurt though :)

wasted_ace
09-03-12, 10:05 AM
This has nearly happened to me in Bristol aswell! It's a horrible feeling, especially when they deliberately don't look at you afterwards because they're embarrassed/completely ignorant. >:(

Glad you weren't hurt though :)

...Thats par for the course in Bristol mate :'(

Squashed_Fly
09-03-12, 10:58 AM
When will people understand that BMW drivers own the road. It's their god given right to go where they like, and do what they want.

Or at least they [offence disclaimer: almost all] drive like that's tue anyway.... ::) ::) ::)

Nooj
09-03-12, 12:55 PM
Read up on defensive riding techniques and try not to leave a gap like that again (difficult I know). A lot of pricks in cars hate us filtering past them, and some will try and do it back in their cars to 'show us' (show us what, that they're a pathetic dick?).

Also look into mounting a camera permanently to your bike and record all your trips, then if it happens again you'll have footage of it to give to the Police. Much as hate the fact we're now expected to do the Police's job for them, I think this is the way forward regarding dangerous driving and insurance claims. The more over crowded our roads get, the more like a battle zone they will become.

Snowy
09-03-12, 01:13 PM
Yeah we're all toe rags ;D ;D

I guess Volvo drivers are OK now then because they used to be the countries most hated (as voted by the 2 wheel community). Hmmm, my way it tends to be the Corsa, Micra, Focus brigade .... must be the area in which I live ;D

Luckily I have not had the problem with a car trying to filter past me but then I stick myself in a position so they can't :)

pluggedinpete
09-03-12, 01:51 PM
An Audi driver clipped Cat in Trowvegas a couple of weeks ago while he was reversing out of his drive. Had the cheek to try to claim a scratch on Cats insurance! (her insurance company told him where to go though) I really believe that Audi drivers have replaced BMW drivers as the reall arseholes on the road now.

wiltshire builders
09-03-12, 02:08 PM
Yeah we're all toe rags ;D ;D

I guess Volvo drivers are OK now then because they used to be the countries most hated (as voted by the 2 wheel community). Hmmm, my way it tends to be the Corsa, Micra, Focus brigade .... must be the area in which I live ;D

Luckily I have not had the problem with a car trying to filter past me but then I stick myself in a position so they can't :)

The only vehicles that try to 'race' me are 1.1L Citroen Saxos driven by a lad in a cap....always in a cap. ooh they're sooo fast

Nikki
09-03-12, 02:09 PM
Was out for a little bimble and stopped at a three lane roundabout for traffic lights, i was in the middle of the middle lane minding my own business, when a BMW estate tried to squeeze between the car in the first lane and me! the result is the wan#&r couldn't fit and decided instead to clip me in the process! i didn't drop the bike which i'm proud of but when i shouted at him he jumped the lights and left! i was too much in shock to get the licence plate or think about following but can't believe their are still idiots like this on the roads today.... :o

Dont suppose their was a camera covering the roundabout? Might just be worth asking the police and mentioning it too them if they can be bothered that is. ::)

Scary isnt it that a fellow human being can be in such a rush that they'd try to force through a tiny gap just to get in front :o

Not sure their is much you could have done sat in the middle of the middle lane.

Rooter
09-03-12, 03:02 PM
I find that a well aimed kick usually attracts attention... those panels can be oh so expensive to replace. Tut, tut. 8-)

Swanny
09-03-12, 04:16 PM
Audi, BMW, Volvo is there a difference??? :-/

Geordie Stu
09-03-12, 05:01 PM
Well done staying upright. Assume all drivers are out to get you. Stay sharp...!

Dan505
09-03-12, 06:23 PM
Read up on defensive riding techniques and try not to leave a gap like that again (difficult I know).

What! sitting in the middle of the lane is the best place i thought? equal distance from each asshole, driver would never try to squeeze/scrape against another car so why do it to a bike?

was going to use the bike today but this put me off to be truthful, hopefully i'll pop out tomorrow

Wes
09-03-12, 06:49 PM
Im sure your paths will cross again, then its advantage you, well done for holding the bike up.

Morticia
09-03-12, 08:21 PM
:o thanks, honestly speaking my confidence has taken a knock but think i'll be alright just more annoyed than anything else, i've used that lane countless times and always in the same position but have no idea why anyone would try to wedge in a gap like that next to a bike!
at least now i know that wing mirrors Vs squidgy man is not a contest i'll win :(

Remember IT WASN'T YOUR FAULT. I know it doesn't make it any easier, but you really have nothing to fret about. Other than car drivers...
Like Jac, I'd dropped it, defo

Dan505
09-03-12, 09:16 PM
Like Jac, I'd dropped it, defo

You never know unless it happens, doubt you would drop it, our self preservation comes thru

I know not my fault but still feel bit twitchy bout the bike, hopefully sunday will help. Might try to go out tomorrow if can get confidence up

Loops
10-03-12, 10:38 AM
Just remember that bit of road you're on is YOURS! Sometimes you do get some idiots who try it on, but keep your eyes open and confidence up and they'll pick up on your attitude.

And if they don't, give the car a thump to remind them you're there ;D

Rooter
10-03-12, 06:26 PM
Its natural to feel shaken up.... but you did well... so don;t dwell on it. Get out and ride! :)

Jon_W
12-03-12, 07:55 AM
There are plenty out there.... :P

Keep to the middle of the lane.

Senna(Dan)
12-03-12, 08:25 AM
Did you manage to get out on the ride yesterday Dan?
If you didn't I am more than happy to come over to Swindon and ride over on Wednesday if you want. Forget the tosser in the car, just remember next time that they wont be so impressed when they are missing a wing mirror!

supermancss
12-03-12, 12:39 PM
Read up on defensive riding techniques and try not to leave a gap like that again (difficult I know). A lot of pricks in cars hate us filtering past them, and some will try and do it back in their cars to 'show us' (show us what, that they're a pathetic dick?).

Also look into mounting a camera permanently to your bike and record all your trips, then if it happens again you'll have footage of it to give to the Police. Much as hate the fact we're now expected to do the Police's job for them, I think this is the way forward regarding dangerous driving and insurance claims. The more over crowded our roads get, the more like a battle zone they will become.

Sorry, nacked me off the comment regarding the Police.

How are the Police actually supposed to be watching all the roads at every single area at once? Get the number plate of the car if you are involved in any kind of incident and give a witness statement. Their job is to try prevent crime and things like this. But if you have a suggestion as to how this could have been prevented be my guest and let me know!
>:( :'(

Dan505
12-03-12, 05:21 PM
Was too shocked to think to get the licence plate but trust not a mistake i will repeat, my bike, my bit of road, you have been warned....

Yes thanks dipple, was great, shall be out wednesday too

Dan505
09-05-12, 10:17 AM
can't believe same thing happened today FFS! in the same place as well, van squidged in between me and a lorry, lesson learnt from last time and he knew he was in the wrong this time, can't believe how some people drive!!!! >:( >:(

goz1960
09-05-12, 11:02 AM
Hope you are o/k dan

Ducatista
09-05-12, 11:25 AM
Much as hate the fact we're now expected to do the Police's job for them, I think this is the way forward regarding dangerous driving and insurance claims.

The police (or rather CPS) cannot possibly be expected to prosecute cases where it's one persons word against anothers.

Did you get the reg number? (I understand you would be shocked and concentrating on keeping upright etc.).

I do go along with the recommendation for a camera though. It them ceases to be one persons word against another.

Dan505
09-05-12, 12:59 PM
going to get a camera as this happens to me to often in the same place and i know it's not down to my riding >:(

more angry than anything else Goz, some people are just mindless!

wiltsdan
09-05-12, 04:45 PM
I have full respect for the police, and would'nt want it for a job but I've rang the 101 nunber twice now and not even got an answer.
Also chosen the "drink drive hot line" option to report a dangerous driver , and ...........no reply!

Mitch9128
09-05-12, 05:23 PM
I bought an HD camera to record the fookwits on my commute, most of the time i can't be arsed to set it up on the bike though, including the time last year i got punted off, luckily the CCTV got it all though.

Just ride faster and get ahead of them, i find a manic blur is the best way to present yourself to people in cars.

Dan505
09-05-12, 05:43 PM
ok mitch :o