PDA

View Full Version : New Trackbike :-)

Gerry
25-02-12, 07:45 PM
Some of you know I’ve sold my Gixer track-bike and replaced it with a lovely YZF-R1

Still not sure it was a good idea, as I feel a bit like I'm “running before I can walk” as going fast down the straights is fine, but it will be so easy to go into the corners quicker than my talent is able to get out of them !

I bought it as the guy has spent over 3K on it in the last year getting it ready for track, then did one CCS day and decided he “didn’t have time to track it”. He’s fitted all the right (and expensive) goodies to it, all it needs is a track fairing and it’s good to go

It also just seems to pretty to thrash round a track and load it in & out of a van for it’s living as it is bound to get bashed up.

Been out on it for a couple of hours and it lives up to it’s reputation, it just gets faster & faster ;D

Anyway, a couple of pics…

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff325/Simpsons1979/Yamaha%20YZF-R1/IMG_6888.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff325/Simpsons1979/Yamaha%20YZF-R1/IMG_6895.jpg

Loads more if you feel the need ;)
http://s536.photobucket.com/albums/ff325/Simpsons1979/Yamaha%20YZF-R1/?start=all

Still may sell it and get an R6 trackbike before Brands :-/

G

KP
25-02-12, 07:52 PM
Very nice indeed, tracking is not my thing, but if you need it exercising ::)

Gerry
25-02-12, 07:58 PM
Thanks Kev, lol...

I'm hoping me coming out of the closet so to speak will encourage "Mr Shy" to put some pics up of his new beauty too (lots nicer than mine as well) come on, you know you want to really lol

G

Mark_Able
25-02-12, 08:06 PM
I love it. That is the perfect tool for track days, except the smaller circuits. What's been done Gerry? I still remember most of the mods and adjustments I made to mine when I raced it. Might be able to help with a few things... 8-)

Gerry
25-02-12, 08:14 PM
I love it. That is the perfect tool for track days, except the smaller circuits. What's been done Gerry? I still remember most of the mods and adjustments I made to mine when I raced it. Might be able to help with a few things... 8-)

His main cash went on:

Maxton RT10 Rear Suspension
Maxton Front fork conversion
Full Akrapovic Carbon Race system
Spirit SXC Steering Damper
Robby Moto Rear Sets
Dunlop SportSmart tyres
R&G full frame & fork protection
Bob Farnham Tuning, Set Up and Dyno - 140 BHP

Thanks for the offer, if I decide to keep it for the track I'll give you a shout, it will be good for Brands GP but not such fun at Llandow ;)

G

R6_Don
25-02-12, 08:25 PM
Very nice Gerry

Keep it, once you get a track fairing on there it will be fine to bash it about :)

I think you should just tell us who the mystery track day rider is so we can harass them untill they post up some pics :)

Mark_Able
25-02-12, 08:28 PM
Yeah, the faster circuits like Donny will be great. I don't much care for Llandow anyway. The full system means you lose a little low-end grunt, but gain top-end power. It's the low-end grunt that used to scare people on the original R1 anyway. The front needs to be dropped about 10mm to get it to turn-in better, but mainly to stopping it from standing up and running wide on the power. Set the steering damper so it's a little firm to compensate. Try it on a gentle track day and see what you think. I think it's great... but I am a little biased. ;)

Dabz
25-02-12, 08:31 PM
That is gorgeous! Nice one Gerry :)

Toph
25-02-12, 08:36 PM
Wow... now that is REAL purdy!!
Gerry, you are an ANIMAL!!!! lol ;D ;D ;D

silly_simon
25-02-12, 10:28 PM
So it was you who was annoying the locals along fore st the other day :P :P

Noisey beggar you Mr G :D :D :D

jimmer
26-02-12, 01:14 PM
Mark i know you dont like llandow,you couldnt keep up with a 400 round their ;D

goz1960
26-02-12, 01:35 PM
Looks a nice bike mate.

Geordie Stu
26-02-12, 07:41 PM
Very Nice Gerry. Only got a glimpse on Saturday as Col & I went passed. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

redken1
26-02-12, 07:52 PM
love it Gerry

8-) 8-) 8-)

Mark_Able
26-02-12, 09:49 PM
Mark i know you dont like llandow,you couldnt keep up with a 400 round their ;D

Cheeky bleeder... ;D
I was just letting him build his confidence... :-[

Gerry
27-02-12, 08:33 AM
Very Nice Gerry. Only got a glimpse on Saturday as Col & I went passed. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Think that's when I was trying to batter the old bar ends off with a lump hammer ;D
At the moment, Bar Ends 1 - Lump Hammer 0
;)

Jon_W
27-02-12, 09:47 AM
That looks mint!!!!

Nice one!!!

njl
27-02-12, 08:05 PM
That is lovely, enjoy it Gerry

Andybusa
28-02-12, 07:23 PM
sounds like a nice bike. Was giving Rossi some tips today so if you fancy a master class...................................turns out he doesn't like used cigarettes, ho hum :(

Gerry
20-05-12, 11:36 PM
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff325/Simpsons1979/Yamaha%20YZF-R1/IMG_6888.jpg

Sold :-)

Delivered to it's new owner today.

Gone back to Plan A (which I was going to do before I saw the R1) which is another 5SL R6 the same as my road bike.

Decided that at my modest level of riding the advantage of a road legal bike that I trust, with the minimum of fancy bits on, will outway the tecnical advantages of a track prepped bike that can only be used 6/8 days a season and that I can't try on the roads.

The R1 was great, did my first wheelie on it this week (OK, I won't (can't) say what I said whilst mid-wheelie, but it was somthing like, "flipping heck, I didn't mean to do that") ;D
May go back to one after lots more track time.

Pics to follow ;)
This ones a keeper (unless I can make a bob or two on it) ;D

Dabz
21-05-12, 08:12 AM
Very good plan Gerry!

Dan505
21-05-12, 10:13 AM
that R1 looked very very special 8-)

Gerry
21-05-12, 11:25 AM
that R1 looked very very special 8-)

There was a part of me that thought the same, "to nice to throw down a track" although it's new owner plans to track it.
The bike that I swapped it for (2004 R6) looks nice but not as pretty. Side by side I thought the R1 looked much nicer.

Mikkie1986
21-05-12, 11:32 AM
Pictures Gerry..... :-? :-?

voodoo
23-05-12, 07:23 PM
Pictures Gerry..... :-? :-?
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/denimcg/Smileys/Smiley_WaitingSign.gif ;D