PDA

View Full Version : Donations for site running costs

Dabz
17-05-11, 07:25 PM
Our migration to a new server is now complete and we've set up some powerful kit behind WB to make sure that the site stays nice and fast as it gets bigger and bigger.

However this new server does cost money, so we are now asking for donations from members towards the running costs. Costs incurred include server hosting, backups, server maintenance, and also promotional things like our business cards, flags, banners and hi-vis vests.

Any donation, however large or small is very gratefully received, and can be made in one of the following ways:
Paypal: paypal@wiltshirebikers.co.uk
Cash: to Dabz when you see him
Bank transfer: pm Dabz for details

All money goes direct to running the site and left over money is kept in an account for bigger purchases

Dennis_Sinanan
17-05-11, 08:06 PM
Hi Dabz,

I like the idea of contributing one pound at the start of each group ride to help with the running cost. Is this an option or do you prefer a bulk transfer?

Do you think the 675 can handle the extra weight when a load of bikers turn up bearing coins on a sunny day? ;D ;D

Hunar
17-05-11, 08:55 PM
The idea of asking people to donate a pound each time they attend a ride out is one of the ideas being discussed by the admins at the moment, but having feedback and opinions from the members makes it much easier to find a solution.

The situation we find ourselves in is that we are a victim of our own success, we now have so many members logging in that we have outgrown our hosting restrictions. To solve that problem we have to uprade our server, and that involves a much higher monthly fee. As we do not make profit from membership and events, and a very small amount on clothing sales, this means that we now need to find a way to cover those monthly hosting costs.

With the amount of active users we have, for example, if each one donated a pound a month, that would easily solve the problem.

So what do you guys and girls think? any ideas are welcome!

Harry87
17-05-11, 08:58 PM
Maybe just have this 1 pound donation on the monthly rideout?

Beamer
17-05-11, 09:02 PM
More than happy to donate....whether i go on a ride or not

I think we are really lucky with this forum and I know I personally owe pretty much my whole social life to Wiltshire Bikers, one way or another, so YES, count me in!! ;D ;D ;D

Roxy
17-05-11, 09:03 PM
Happy to donate whatever you guys think is appropriate to the running costs of the forum and anyone who doesn't want to should take themselves outside for a word! We all use the forum so there is no excuse.

Roxy x

Taylor86
17-05-11, 09:09 PM
Knowing my memory I'd be better off setting up a monthly transfer to Dabz on my online banking! lol ;D I'm all for contributing though.

HensonA
17-05-11, 09:10 PM
Dabz. I will make a donation direct if that's OK. :)

Done 18/05/11. 8-) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Where's the "Donate" icon gone that used to be at the bottom of the home page ????????? ;)

Chappers
17-05-11, 09:19 PM
hmmmmm, a 20p per post direct debit might bankrupt a few on here! ::) ;D

happy to contribute to the cause [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Green Man
17-05-11, 10:34 PM
hmmmmm, a 20p per post direct debit might bankrupt a few on here! ::) ;D

happy to contribute to the cause [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Pmsl ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nico_babe
17-05-11, 10:43 PM
More than happy to contribute ;)

Jacde
17-05-11, 11:27 PM
Would be happy to donate £1 a month, I can't make every official ride and if thats where you are looking to collect money then personally I think you'll miss out on a lot of money as not everyone attends these rides.
I'll pay my £12 in one lump but not through paypal as they charge for handling the transaction!

Nelly
18-05-11, 12:25 PM
of course i'd be happy to stump up a few quid just for using the forum. Ive found some interesting things and met some nice folk, be a pleasure :)

Caz
18-05-11, 12:57 PM
Better send the 'wellie' round again on Friday at the Polebarn ;D Happy to donate anytime [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bornagain
19-05-11, 06:46 PM
The Wellie will be on the bar Friday's (and it'll be a bigger wellie ;))

This forum is awesome - the riding, friendships, socials and events that come FROM it are priceless ;) ;) ;)

DaytonaDog
19-05-11, 06:57 PM
Count me in for some shillings

Dabz
19-05-11, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys :) will make sure the wellie is passed round Friday! Assuming it's not basils if it's a big one...

redken1
19-05-11, 10:08 PM
I am happy to go along with the consensus, whether that be a donation every ride or monthly. To echo what's been said. Love the banter, chat and rants (mainly me) on the forum so more than happy to give summit back. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Red Zed 1
21-05-11, 10:49 PM
i have no problem with donation,, :)

Toph
22-05-11, 07:32 AM
I'm happy to contribute to the running costs, :)
I'll be chucking a few quid in the welly on Friday!! :)

Si
22-05-11, 10:33 AM
Happy to give whats needed mate! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bornagain
22-05-11, 10:49 AM
Didn't have the "Wellie" ready in time (It needs decorating!) for Friday but still ended up with about a 'Tenner' in the pot.

The Wiltshire Wellie be now be on the bar Fridays at the Pb
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davehsw
22-05-11, 10:52 AM
I am happy to donate in any sensible way, except paypal.

Mikkie1986
23-05-11, 04:44 PM
Dabz can you send me some info on the advertising front... I could advertise the shop on the bottom of each page?

Mikey ;)

CharleyX
23-05-11, 10:30 PM
Would find it better to give in cash on the day's etc etc
:)
Wilts Wellie could be passed round on all ride outs?

SueZX4
05-06-11, 11:11 PM
Yep, would be happy to contribute, like the idea of annual subscription, or whatever per month... Really enjoy looking at this site, and have had previous experience of similar ones so appreciate the hard work that goes in to the running and maintaining of this one, and, most importantly, the time that people volutarily put in to keep it going. Fair comment on this.

Sapphire
07-06-11, 11:33 AM
This is the friendliest biker forum I've known and although I haven't met a lot of you I feel like its one big happy family. I love reading all the comments and although I don't go on many rideouts I'd be more than happy to contribute towards the running. It shouldn't be too long before I see someone who I can give a donation to...to pass on to Dabz or put in the wellie. :) :)

Gerry
07-06-11, 01:40 PM
Think James & I differ on the subject of funding the site (which is a bit of a bummer cos it's his site) ;)

I think that “donations” don’t work, I think we have already proved that as I’ve only seen the WB Wellie once from memory at the PB.
The problem with donating at meets or ride-outs is that somebody has to organise it - at every meet / ride-out !
Even then it will be only the usual suspects that will donate, and that’s not “fair”.

IMO, the best way is for an annual subscription.

How about leaving the site free to view, as it is now, but in order to view the Events Section you must pay a membership (call it what you wish). I paid £6.00 to park for half a day in Southampton recently so I don’t think a £10.00 annual membership would be a problem for 99% of people.

This would mean that casual viewers could read 80% of the site but if they wanted to get involved in the fun, they would need to pay a modest charge.

This would help pay for bigger, better advertising, stands at events and subsidies at Club track days / holidays etc.

Sorry to go on (OK, not that sorry, you all know that I like the sound of my own keyboard) but I would also alter the site layout slightly.
I’d take the “official” meets (Polebarn & H&C) out of the Events section so everybody could see them, casual viewers, members, everybody, to encourage new members to turn up there and get involved.

It also needs a big note to say how people can view the events section - no matter what we do.

We older members know why this was introduced, but only last weekend at Castle Combe, Lucinda (you may remember Lucinda ;) ) was saying she couldn’t find where we met or details of ride-outs etc. A disastrous situation !

So, that’s my view, over to you….

Gerry :)

Dabz
07-06-11, 01:48 PM
my main argument against annual subscription is the administration it'd take to process renewals, site access, etc.

Plus I love the fact that everything is free to anyone

I'll make sure the welly (or our new bucket, kindly donated by Gerry!) makes more appearances

Ryan
08-06-11, 01:16 AM
Just my 2pence worth not that anyone has to listen, most never do :-/ ;D

Annual subsription is a very bad idea, ive known a few clubs gone down this route and broken to bits after 6 months of doing so over various different reasons, i would not want to see that of wb,

Other things being if you start charging for a service it opens up all sorts of legal stuff

Also i would say it would put people off joining, if somone finds the club who dosent know what a great bunch of people we are they wont pay money to join

Personally if it went this way i would pay an annual subscription and wouldnt mind paying it at all, but still think its not a good idea in the long run.

My views ;)

HensonA
09-06-11, 01:47 PM
The donation "wellie" may suit some but I don't particularly like it as invariably at some point it will be put in front of me to donate.

I prefer to give by way of bank transfer straight into the WB bank account, that way you can give what you want in relative anonymity.
Having given in such a way, I don't want the "wellie" shoved under my nose and feel I'm not supporting the forum by not being seen to give to such a collection method :) :)

BladeTriple
09-06-11, 01:58 PM
how about an extra 20p on a Smelly Burger or 5p on a drink at Basils and that tops off into the WB pot that way ?

You could even pay £1 per head/bike per meet? Buy the raffle ticket and then if its a big enough turn out theres a draw too and half the money goes in the pot and half goes to one lucky punter a night... You're looking at 30 plus per night at the H&C and the same at the Polebarn right ? might be worth a go :)

ChrisJo
27-06-11, 06:47 PM
Have an annual subscription £12 or £15, and give a nice WB pin badge and access to the forum.

Dabz
28-06-11, 02:33 PM
just to clarify, WB will not ever (hoping now to regret using 'ever) become subscription based. Just something I'm dead against and as long as I'm running the forums I simply won't entertain the thought.

We have some scratch cards with some decent prizes now which will be made available at the H&C and Polebarn meets after the Cornwall camping holiday is over, and we'll be fundraising at Calne Bike Show, Castle Combe bike racing etc.

fanblade
05-07-11, 02:40 PM
I'd be more that happy to make a payment for the forum, there is something for everyone so everyone should get involved/contribute.
Unfortunatly due to work and family commitments I very rarely get the chance to attend the H&C or ride outs but if there is a way to contribute please let me know.

Dabz
05-07-11, 03:00 PM
Thanks :) you can donate through paypal - the address is paypal@wiltshirebikers.co.uk

evansdn
19-07-11, 11:07 AM
Sponsored silly outfits for the ride outs??

:D

Bindyboo
24-07-11, 09:52 AM
I'm happy to donate just because we gatecrashed your trackday (and came 1st) ;D, sorry couldn't resist :D

wiggy
24-07-11, 11:15 AM
Some are on there way via paypal ,And i go on a ride im happy to give a quid aswell . :)

Dabz
25-07-11, 01:56 PM
thanks for the donation mate, much appreciated! :D

Gooz
16-08-11, 07:08 PM
You better make it at the start of any ride ...... my hack never seems to make the end pmsl ......... 8-)

abxv535
24-08-11, 07:57 AM
Donation on its way via paypall ,great site ,happy to help :-)

Maz
14-11-11, 07:31 PM
Just sent a donation via paypal....

It might come up as Marantha??

x

Karl
21-11-11, 03:04 PM
Rideout donations I am sure is the best way togo. Thats a guaranteed amount, and its pretty fair. I know others are also willing to donate via paypal and have done so. Minimum £1 ride-out fee will not break anyones bank and we can always donate more. I have not seen you guys and gurls for awhile, I hope to get out a few times next year.

Dabz
21-11-11, 03:37 PM
Thanks Maz :D

The 100 club is really helping with site funds at the mo - I'd urge anyone who hasn't already to join in and have a chance of winning some money back!

leecooke1985
19-08-12, 01:18 PM
As I am new here and don't move to Wiltshire until Wednesday I haven't been on any ride outs as yet and am prob right when I say that there's probably a lot of people that use this site that don't go on the ride outs, so wouldn't pay if they didn't go.

Maybe instead of asking for £1 every ride out, can't you have membership subscriptions based on what people use, ie. bronze would equal site use only, silver would equal enable to post. Gold equal ride outs and full access.

I don't know, just an idea.

hungry_hippo
15-09-12, 04:53 PM
Happy to donate :)

chasingpavements
16-09-12, 06:27 AM
More than happy to donate.....any which way ;D

DC
01-12-12, 11:51 AM
Regarding The WB Finances 2012 thread above,I would be more than happy to put a pound in the bucket every time i turned up at the Harp and Crown and every time I turned up at an official rideout. It wouldnt break the bank personally and if all regular attendees did this religiously the money raised would go a long way to covering site costs and more. So if I turned up every wednesday at The H+C and an official Rideout the most I would have to pay is £5/ month. You can barely buy a pint for that these days and definitely cant buy a gallon of fuel or a packet of fags. What say the rest ??? :)

Nelly
08-12-12, 10:18 AM
As a staff member i would like to say a big thank you to those that have donated since the finances thread was posted. You guys rock!

8-)

paypal@wiltshirebikers.co.uk

Geordie Stu
12-12-12, 04:15 PM
After a conversation with KP. Take along a scratch card "Football Cards"

£1 per team, winner gets £10-£15 & the balance goes to the WB fund. If you turn up you might just win & get your petrol paid for the day.

Dabz
12-12-12, 04:34 PM
we've been doing that for 18 months stu :) just didn't really push them very hard last year but they're usually next to the bbq on Weds nights

Geordie Stu
12-12-12, 04:37 PM
we've been doing that for 18 months stu :) just didn't really push them very hard last year but they're usually next to the bbq on Weds nights

I don't mind selling them on behalf of the club at ride outs & meets