PDA

View Full Version : Llandow 2012 - Round 2

Scotty
19-08-12, 08:32 AM
Well, what a day that was! A day of two halves weather-wise, whilst most of Southern England was scorchio, the Severn crossing heralded a sudden change to wetness (welcome to Wales). The forecasted wet start hung on until lunchtime so those of us with wets put them on to make the most of it and I have to admit that I've never had so much fun in the rain, helped by a grippy track I was getting my knee down which I'd never done previously, even when racing. It's a confidence thing, but wet tyres rock, oh yes!
The sun put his hat on in the afternoon and the track soon dried, allowing everyone to enjoy themselves and fun was had 8-)
Yesterday marked a first for the SWB annual day with an ambulance being called for Kelly (Dynasangel) after she crashed to avoid hitting an unexpectedly slow rider at the chicane, breaking her collarbone. Take it easy chick, you'll be fine for Oulton in October.
We all had fun in the sun, with Gerry bringing the curtain down with a spot of drama on his new satsuma - I'll not steal his thunder, he can relate the tale of derring-do... Over to you Mr Simpson...

Gerry
19-08-12, 10:23 AM
A day of two halves for me too !
Took my new love, a Tango orange GSXR750 which I bought last weekend (No.2 R6 no for sale) !
Morning, weather crap, big vibration on bike, not 100% comfy on it and my helmet kept sliding to low so when I was bent over I could only see 15 feet in front :-/

Afternoon, Found that the tank was rubbing on the frame so with the help of Gaffa tape, washers (and Jaa's help) I tried a quick fix. Swapped the seat for the cut down one what came with the bike and as Caz's suggestion gaffa taped some padding into the top of my helmet.
AMAZING... no vibration, the seat was tons better and I could see [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] the bike flew !!!
Got quicker & quicker as the afternoon went on (OK... you can see it coming can't you) until the last session where I started out following Moo and despite my best efforts couldn't get around him all the session.

Last lap - approaching the last right hander and I remembered the wise words of an instructor was " you have to get out of your comfort zone" to improve !

I made a big effort to get on Moo's tail as he exited the bend and shot by him *
Jubilant at taking the checkered flag in front I then realised that I was going to fast, on the wrong line around the bus stop chicane. Onto the grass (about 18") and bang, I was picking myself up with a thumpy head and my heart pounding as I did a quick audit of my arms & legs etc.
Red flag and the marshal is telling me not to move and wait for the paramedic. A quick check over and I was good (ish) to go. Bike looked a little sad and twisted (like bike, like owner) ;D and I was back at the pits to my caring and concerned WB mates.

I'm not bad, feel a bit like I've had three rounds with Mike Tyson (and he won) but could have been worse. Bikes still on the van !

Pic of my new love (this side still looks the same) ;)

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff325/Simpsons1979/GSXR%20750/KGrHqFHJBEEP398RfqBQFrnzF99Q60_3.jpg

* Moo claims that he was slowing down for the flag as I "had" him, but I like to think it was my "no guts - no glory" red mist moment that did the trick.
MOO - thanks for not running me over [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Awesome day - loved it :)

Dabz
19-08-12, 10:32 AM
Glad to hear you're ok after your Basil moment Gerry, sounds like a good day apart from that! :)

Gerry
19-08-12, 10:41 AM
The rest of the gang...

They all did brilliant, Caz in her first (real) trackday was flying from her first session and cutting through the other Novices really great. Roxy, after a tentative start on Chappers "track based missile" started giving it some clog and getting the overtaking bug ! CharleyX & Star both got quicker & quicker as the day went on - great going both !
Shammy666 was looking good in the Inters with the "blokes".

Scotty and Jaa and young Chappers were all doing good in the Fast group, loved Jaa's heroic breaking lol
Naughty Flick was seen overtaking everybody apart from Viking in the Novices (shame on you Flick) until the organisers saw Vikings talent and moved him up into the Inters where he proceeded to show me how to do it !

Wes, in his first track day was flying and looking really good, quick & smooth. I'm sure we will see him again on track soon, and Moo (as you have read above) must have been going like a bomb as I couldn't pass him ;D

Finished the day off with a nice meal in Avebury.

As always, thanks to the brilliant members of WB for a great day.

G
PS CharleyX I blame you - Witch Woman :-*

;D

Scotty
19-08-12, 02:42 PM
Gerry - your moment of glory was captured on film; Gav (Kelly's husband) filmed the final Inters session and your death or glory move was recorded for posterity - Have a look (http://www.southwestbikers.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&p=224380&sid=80a8e5b6f76ec0348a 65bb1bb06db739#p224380)

Dan505
19-08-12, 06:51 PM
Ouch, hope Gerry and the satsuma are both ok

Dabz
19-08-12, 06:59 PM
Ouch that looks painful Gerry!

Nelly
19-08-12, 07:12 PM
Glad you're ok Gerry. :)

Gerry
19-08-12, 07:23 PM
Gerry - your moment of glory was captured on film; Gav (Kelly's husband) filmed the final Inters session and your death or glory move was recorded for posterity - Have a look (http://www.southwestbikers.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&p=224380&sid=80a8e5b6f76ec0348a 65bb1bb06db739#p224380)

Cool ;D
Although I would have prefered some nice close-up stills of me mid roly-poly, something that I've managed to avoid doing since I was at school lol
Now I see why I ache so much :-/

" Death or Glory" :o I saw it more as a heroic last stand against overwhelming odds in the shape of a more talented Moo, by the young (OK, old) underdog [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Viking
19-08-12, 08:11 PM
Was a superb day, rain and sunshine to make it all the more interesting

Thanks to all that made the day so much fun :)

Roxy
19-08-12, 08:24 PM
Lovely day thanks guys. **** wx to start with but pleased the sun came out in the afternoon.

Good to see everyone. Nice to meet you Wes and Gerry I hope the bruises are not too bad....take some arnica...it really helps babe :-*

Glad I've done a 'track day' but I wasn't that taken with it all so think it's one to tick off the list!

Roxy xxx

Wes
19-08-12, 08:32 PM
Glad you are ok Gerry, if not a little bruised, it was good to see other WB members i hadnt met before, as well of course, those who know me already :), flick, well what can i say, novice? really? although the by any means passing techniques including grass tracking, and taking the short cut around the start line, were inspirational ;D , thanks to everyone for a brilliant day out, cheers Wes.
Incidentally, after all that, i think ive broken a toe whilst wallpapering :o ;D

Chappers
19-08-12, 08:55 PM
Flick - the shark is gonna get you!! ;D

Hope the bruises heal quickly G and you and the bike are in good shape for CC. Take some heart from Stoner's heroics today if inspiration is required!

Had a great day once the weather cleared and I remembered which bike I was on. It's definitely the 'social' TD event on the calendar and one I look forward to. For this year I'm just glad I didn't embarrass myself too much. Looking forward to 2013 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

billinom8
19-08-12, 09:50 PM
hey all,

looks like you all had a good time, i like that, hopefully means you will beback for more next year ;).

i do like to try and keep it as much a social event aswell as a track event, makes the day more fun for everyone and less nerve-racking for the first timers.

sorry about the weather, kim booked the sun for the a.m to walk the dogs in, blame her, i'll make sure she is with us next year that way it will be sorted.

Roxy, shame you weren't taken with the track thing, you definately seemed to have the idea sorted. i followed you round and through the pack for a couple of laps and you seemed like a natural.

i only saw the bouncy orange ball on the vid, didn't realise it happened behind me, just saw the red flags go up AFTER the flag, you do know that you will now be in head marshal Johns morning speeches now don't you ? famous at last !

Well once the sun came out the smiles certainly widened and the fun began, there were some PROPER fast boys tearing it up in the fast group, it would seem you only need one wheel on the ground to operate a bike, and it doesn't have to be the rear one :o :o :o it made for some interesting viewing from the paddock.

Inters was fun and the racing riding certainly became fun as the track dried and lines appeared. lots of new faces/bikes to play with and grumble at from behind the visor as they went past, hey ho - i'll get you all next year, now where's that nitro ???

I had the position of track marshal in novice this year and have to say it was a rewarding experince. Going from starting in the rain and leading people round to gradually mixing it up a little and seeing individuals confidence grow through the day, made it a top result.

der dum, der dum, der dum, der dum, der dum, der dum.....to those sharks lurking in novice, quint has been sent for, you have been tagged with 3 barrels and they will be taking you up to inters next year.

you're gonna need a bigger excuse ;D

Thanks to scotty for helping out again.

see you again next year.

Simon

flick
19-08-12, 10:36 PM
Great day out, like the informal atmosphere of the day and was good to meet the SWB peps. 8-)

It kinda looks like inters for me next year then ;D unless I can find a good excuse ;) ;D

Good to here Gerrys ok after his tumble,and that I'm not the only one that overtook after the chequerd flag ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to billinom8s for sorting the day

BB
20-08-12, 07:17 AM
Good to hear you all having fun and some good reports too. Hope you don't feel thr bruises too much now Gerry ;)

BB

Gerry
20-08-12, 07:46 AM
Great day out, like the informal atmosphere of the day and was good to meet the SWB peps. 8-)
It kinda looks like inters for me next year then ;D unless I can find a good excuse ;) ;D

Good to here Gerrys ok after his tumble,and that I'm not the only one that overtook after the chequerd flag ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Haha Flick, no more hiding now :P
And.. to set the record straight (and I have video proof) I overtook before the chequered flag, it was just the falling off I did after it ;D

Bike initial inspection last night, may be able to save the rearset / gear linkage. a bit of straightening needed at the rear and the fairing support replacing / gaffa taping. A lick of paint and it will be good to go.
Fairings off today for a better look though !

Must remember to email an apology to John, head marshal, for not following his briefing instructions about not crashing after the flag lol

Gerry
20-08-12, 07:52 AM
Good to hear you all having fun and some good reports too. Hope you don't feel thr bruises too much now Gerry ;)
BB

Thanks BB, I'd be a lot better if somebody hadn't sneaked into my bedroom and hit me all over with a rubber mallet on Sat / Sun night - it's just not on really is it ;D

Billinom8s: great day, thanks to all who organised from SWB.
Re your comments on the fast group, it was more frightening watching No61 on track than falling off - he was quick !!!

Moo
20-08-12, 12:44 PM

You will be in fast group by then Flick ;D

Scotty
20-08-12, 12:53 PM
Something that I forgot to mention in the initial post was a [smiley=thumbsup.gif] to Chappers as "most improved" - your riding has come on considerably this year James, much better technique and more confident overall. Good effort 8-)

Wes
20-08-12, 04:55 PM
A couple of photos of the day
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab216/wesrrw/trackday2012001.jpg

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab216/wesrrw/trackday2012002.jpg

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab216/wesrrw/trackday2012006.jpg

Caz
20-08-12, 08:10 PM
What a great day thanks to all involved and especially to Moo for letting me borrow his track bike :-* and Gerry for the lift in the van :-* - glad u and your bike weren't too badly damaged 8-)

Anyone tell me where the pictures are please ::)

Scotty
20-08-12, 11:06 PM
Dean's photos are HERE (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dean2503/7825019158/in/set-72157631162862048/)

Wes
21-08-12, 10:41 AM
There are some really good photos there, top job :)

Moo
22-08-12, 05:36 AM
Well, I think most of what I was going to say has been said already but:

I will probably be back next year even though it's a glorified cart track :)

Luckily Gerry was still in post crash shock as I went past, having avoided running him over it was only fair to shout abuse at him :)

Might even take Scottys advice and try my luck at the slow end of the fast group next time, that way you always end up with a clear track instead of being at the back end of a freight train.

That is all, out!

Chappers
24-08-12, 11:22 AM
Something that I forgot to mention in the initial post was a [smiley=thumbsup.gif] to Chappers as "most improved" - your riding has come on considerably this year James, much better technique and more confident overall. Good effort 8-)

Awwww shucks, thanks dude :-*

Will be sure to annoy you over the winter with the hunt for the next bike ;)

Chappers
24-08-12, 11:43 AM
Might even take Scottys advice and try my luck at the slow end of the fast group next time, that way you always end up with a clear track instead of being at the back end of a freight train.

I agree with that. Fast group was a lot calmer and enjoyable than inters. The passing is quick, safe and efficient and when they do pass they don't then hold you up in the next few corners. Learn loads more too.